steam made me download my game again.

icycapybridge

so i have been playing pubg for 5 months now and this happened twice as i was launching pubg steam said it is verifying files and then suddenly its allocating space for download and starts downloading all 13.4 GB again.i checked the steam folder and it is just 6GB which is size of my other game, so now i need to download pubg again? and i cant cause  my ISP charges a lot .is there anything i can do beside downloading 

well, i could send you my game files for in your steam folder, but then you'd have to download those too.

it's best to just do a backup of PUBG. i have had to download this game for 3 times already. i dunno what's causing it either :(

Make a backup copy of the files that are downloaded.  Then, once the file(s) is/are downloaded, copy them to a flash drive or USB stick and put it in a drawer with a label on it so that it doesn't get overwritten.  Then if you have to download or reinstall the software you already have it.  Good luck.

2 hours ago, icycapybridge said:

i checked the steam folder and it is just 6GB which is size of my other game

The game folder should be about 13GB, not 6GB. If your folder size is only 6GB then it's likely missing files.
In steam games list, right click PUBG and go in to its properties. Click "Verify Game Files" which will have Steam go through and check all the files are correct and verified. If there was an error in a download then a file may have been corrupt.

image.png.6499628ef4dc090af2c6e2a0374bd7bf.png

2 hours ago, icycapybridge said:

this happened twice as i was launching pubg steam said it is verifying files and then suddenly its allocating space for download and starts downloading

Do you have steam set to automatically download updates for PUBG? If it's not set to auto-update the games, when you try to launch a game that requires an update it will start allocating space for the new game files and start the download process for the update. You won't be able to launch the game until the download is complete. There's been a number of large updates in recent weeks around 6-7GB for some major game updates.

37 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Make a backup copy of the files that are downloaded.  Then, once the file(s) is/are downloaded, copy them to a flash drive or USB stick and put it in a drawer with a label on it so that it doesn't get overwritten.  Then if you have to download or reinstall the software you already have it.  Good luck.

And that will be useful for about a week before PUBG does one of its 6-7GB game updates.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 hours ago, icycapybridge said:

so i have been playing pubg for 5 months now and this happened twice as i was launching pubg steam said it is verifying files and then suddenly its allocating space for download and starts downloading all 13.4 GB again.i checked the steam folder and it is just 6GB which is size of my other game, so now i need to download pubg again? and i cant cause  my ISP charges a lot .is there anything i can do beside downloading 

NOT Overclock your Hardware...

And buy a new Harddrive, might be that yours is dying right now...

I had never Steam do such things with the (Offline) Games I Play....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

NOT Overclock your Hardware...

And buy a new Harddrive, might be that yours is dying right now...

I had never Steam do such things with the (Offline) Games I Play....

I have on at least two occasions. Company of Heroes 2 tends to be the winner every time I try to restore it. DOOM also needed a re-download, but that may have been because my backup was before Denuvo was removed.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I have on at least two occasions. Company of Heroes 2 tends to be the winner every time I try to restore it. DOOM also needed a re-download, but that may have been because my backup was before Denuvo was removed.

The only time I had something similar  was with Final Fantasy XIV but they changed the Name/Install Folder and that was the reason why.

From Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn (old) to Final Fantasy XIV - Online

Besides that, it never happened to me...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"