Windows actually Getting Worse??

scobie56

IMO, i think Microsoft is slowly making windows a mess and overall a pile of Sh*t. 

I think latest updates show that as well. 

Here is just a few things i hate about it. 

1) So when installing, (this may be a bug) why am i forced to setup a pin. i dont have a number pad so it just makes life much harder signing in to windows. I know you can just remove the pin once inside the OS but there should be an option to not have one in the first place and when i click no to a wanting a pin i dont want another screen telling me why i should set up a pin and only having one single option to setup a pin.

2) it may just be me or is the background process that forces game and apps like candy crush and other crap getting worse.  every day (i used a reg fix to stop the service now) i used to boot up my pc and find at least 2 new apps i didn't install and when i removed them they were just being replaced with more crap.

3) Again this might just be a bug but since i disabled the pin in windows every time i boot up my PC and login i get a screen that again tells me why i should have a pin instead of a password but at least i can click "set up later" on this screen. 

4) i just think Microsoft are just adding random crap to there OS because they can. i get it, windows 10 is meant to do everything and have all the bells and whistles but i think we need a really striped down version of the OS and i mean really striped down. i would be happy with a start menu, a browser, and a recycling bin.

And lastly i think there should be an option to disable all the telemetry inside windows and been able to uninstall all the crap they they install. I feel that you shouldn't need third party apps to disable and uninstall it all. just like Barnacules said in many of his videos.

Whats your opinion on this? 

Do you think MS should just stop adding crap to W10 or do you honestly not give a sh*t and just let MS just what ever they want?

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

You're not imagining things: The empirical evidence shows that Microsoft as a software company has degraded in quality significantly since Satya Nadella took over as its CEO in 2014.

Nadella went on to fire many, many thousands of testing engineers while offloading the beta testing of the Windows OS on to its license owners:

http://www.businessinsider.com/huge-layoff-for-microsoft-employees-too-2014-7
http://www.businessinsider.com/about-700-microsoft-employees-to-be-laid-off-sources-say-2017-1
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/06/microsoft-will-layoff-thousands-of-employees.html
https://www.geekwire.com/2018/microsoft-makes-new-round-layoffs-across-multiple-business-units/

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/246685-microsoft-claims-10-million-fans-help-test-windows-10-but-its-sure-got-a-funny-definition-of-that-word

As a result, Windows 10 is nowhere near as stable and reliable as Windows 7 is (and probably Windows 8, but I haven't used it so I don't know). Also as a result of the degradation of Microsoft's coding and release quality, Windows 10 is significantly less secure than Windows 7 or 8:

Number of security vulnerabilities discovered per Windows OS per year: https://www.cvedetails.com/top-50-products.php?year=2016

1999----2000----2001----2002----2003----2004----2005----2006----2007----2008----2009----2010----2011----2012----2013----2014----2015----2016----2017

---95      13-------31------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---98      11-------15--------7---------12------------------12------17--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

98se      -----------6--------6----------12---------------------------18--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---NT      64-------28-------24--------23--------18-------24--------------------------------------16-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2000      18-------31-------43--------42--------31-------41------68-------42--------30-------24-------75-------45---------------------------------------------------------------------------

--ME     ----------------------7---------10----------------------------15--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---XP     ---------------------10--------34--------22-------44------66-------56--------34-------34-------89-------98------101-------43-------87--------------------------------------------

Vista      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------31-------29-------76-------86-------95-------42-------95----------34------136------125----------

-----7     --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------64------102-------44-------99----------36------147------134------197

-----8     ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------58----------38------146------134------229

---8.1     -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------38------151------154------225

----10    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------53-------172------268

2018 (as of May)

-----7     --47--------

---8.1    --44--------

----10    --61--------

Also:

Since August 2015, 95 most-severe (>= 9 rating) vulnerabilities have been discovered in Windows 10 = ~35 most-severe vulnerabilities per year

Since January 2010, 232 most-severe (>= 9 rating) vulnerabilities have been discovered in Windows 7 = ~28 most-severe vulnerabilities per year

I see a lot of people making security updates a primary argument for which Windows OS they should install. Well, anyone who cares about security of their Windows OS that much should be installing Windows 7 and avoiding Windows 10, as Windows 10 is the least-secure Windows OS to-date. And if a person chooses Windows 10 over Windows 7 anyway, then it's obviously for a reason other than security - because Windows 7 is the more secure Windows OS.

As for why Microsoft keeps pumping Windows 10 full of more bloatware and garbage, I think that's for the sake of making it seems as though Windows 10 is different and newer than older Windows OSes by making it appear as though it has more stuff in it - but it's all garbage that people want to get rid of. So, basically, it's a painfully-obvious embarrassing admission by Microsoft that there really is nothing better about Windows 10 than Windows 7 and 8.

That might be why the UI got an ugly and obscene overhaul in Windows 10, too: To make it appear distinguished from Windows 7 and 8. The only problem is, the rearrangement of Windows 10 is awful compared to Windows 7 and 8's UIs.

And, of course, the telemetry is there because that's Microsoft's new business model under Satya Nadella: To steal as much personal data from Windows owners as possible and then sell it for profit to whoever has money and is wanting to buy it. And because there are immoral psychopathic corporations like Microsoft, led by psychopathic CEOs that don't know how to do anything right or ethical that we need regulations in the digital sphere to stop this wild west-like unscrupulous and exploitative behaviour of digital product owners.

Before Satya Nadella, Microsoft was a software company, with ups and downs in its product release timeline. Since Satya Nadella, though, Microsoft has been a data-mining company that depends upon bullshit propaganda to push its shady business.

If you're fed up with Windows 10, like a lot of people increasingly are, and if you want to have an OS rather than a data-miner that makes you a cog in Microsoft's data farm with an OS-like front-end, then I recommend installing Windows 7 or Windows 8. They run on all the latest Intel and AMD CPUs, and do anything that Windows 10 does - and do it with more privacy, security, clarity, control, and comfort.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I use Windows 10 because it's the newest OS + I like SOME of the features it has (DirectX 12). I don't use the start menu, Cortana or other bs Microsoft forces us to use.

The reason I still use Windows is that it's the OS I've been using since I first ever touched a computer. Plus most programs are written for Windows. 

I am slowly transitioning my workspace at work into Linux. I just need to figure out how I'm going to replace some programs I'm using right now. 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

Windows was already heading downhill under Steve Ballsmore (sic) before Sadist Nutella (sic) accelerated the process.  I've been a Windows fan since NT but Win 7 is the last one of their products I'm going to use (I've already pretty abandoned Office 2010). Hopefully, I'll be using Linux before Win 7 reaches EOL.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 5/16/2018 at 1:53 PM, scobie56 said:

1) So when installing, (this may be a bug) why am i forced to setup a pin. i dont have a number pad so it just makes life much harder signing in to windows. I know you can just remove the pin once inside the OS but there should be an option to not have one in the first place and when i click no to a wanting a pin i dont want another screen telling me why i should set up a pin and only having one single option to setup a pin.

3) Again this might just be a bug but since i disabled the pin in windows every time i boot up my PC and login i get a screen that againtells me why i should have a pin instead of a password but at least i can click "set up later" on this screen. 

Not a bug. Even if you upgraded, Windows will bug you after a couple restarts/logins to setup a pin. Microsoft is correct that PIN are safer than password. As if your PIN is discovered, your password is still hidden. So if someone discovers your PIN, that is nice, they can access your PC, but they can't access your MS linked account. This means, that they can't change your MS account password. And this means, that if that PC is, say, a laptop, and you had "Find my PC" enabled on it (default it is), you can tract its last location (based on GPS if you have one, or IP address). And you can remotely lock the computer as well. If your password was discovered, than they can access the MS account, change the password, disable tracking, and now you can't find your PC, and can't remotely format it either (supported devices only, such a Windows 10 Mobile phone). Not to mention access to saved credit cards info (if any) for Store purchases. Someone can take your account and do many purchases just to annoy you, and get a nice bill. So they forces non-Enterprise user who uses a MS Account to setup a PIN. PINs are also easier to remember so that you don't need to write it down (another security issue that is commonly done by people). You can also change your password, while keeping the same PIN.

2) it may just be me or is the background process that forces game and apps like candy crush and other crap getting worse.  every day (i used a reg fix to stop the service now) i used to boot up my pc and find at least 2 new apps i didn't install and when i removed them they were just being replaced with more crap.

I don't know what you mean, if I were to be honest. I don't have random games being installed (beside after Windows 10 is first installed). What service are you disabling, and what registry modifications are you doing?

4) i just think Microsoft are just adding random crap to there OS because they can. i get it, windows 10 is meant to do everything and have all the bells and whistles but i think we need a really striped down version of the OS and i mean really striped down. i would be happy with a start menu, a browser, and a recycling bin.

Well for you its crap... but for others it is very welcomed addition, additions that some would easily argue that should have been there since ages because the company was moving like molasses.

And lastly i think there should be an option to disable all the telemetry inside windows and been able to uninstall all the crap they they install. I feel that you shouldn't need third party apps to disable and uninstall it all. just like Barnacules said in many of his videos.

You mean accessing Settings > Privacy and turning off everything? And, no you can't disable telemetry data collecting no matter what you do.

Barnacules videos are FILLED with miss leading facts and errors. I hope you know this.

For example, he shows O&O shutup, which "turns off telemetry", but really it sets a value in the registry to 0 related to telemetry, but as stated in Microsoft documentation, it just sets it to Basic. It also aims to block random Microsoft servers via the HOST file when setup, but really, telemetry data transfer does not follow the HOST file (else it would be too easy to reroute traffic by a malware software to the malware maker own servers, if he/she sees any potential value in the data).

Do you think MS should just stop adding crap to W10 or do you honestly not give a sh*t and just let MS just what ever they want?

I feel like that Microsoft has YEARS of catching up to do in Windows, and now they are rushing too quickly to do this, and the end result is that some of the updates, like April update just released which many system configurations has issues.

Sadly, Microsoft really needs to catch up for Windows to stay relevant. For instance: more and more developer are/were switching to Linux and Mac (Mac because of the Unix back-end only, and iPhone/iPad app development). This is because Windows is no longer as advance as the others for OS for development. It lacks tools. You can't SSH on Windows (nor have something equivalent), you have a lot restrictions and security policy that prevents many things from being setup easily as they didn't consider system running its OS to do certain things. It doesn't help that Microsoft being so slow to move in the past many years, missed not only the Internet revolution but also mobile phone market. The end result is that servers runs Linux, not Windows. Linux is now the back-bone of the internet, not Windows powered servers. IoT devices runs Linux. Raspberry Pi and such runs Linux, not Windows.  Yes, NOW you have Windows 10 for IoT, which is a free Windows which has the core, APIs, drivers and frameworks to run UWP apps which you can send to it and run. But you have nothing near a full Windows experience, you can't multi-task, you can't run stuff independently, you have no desktop or start menu of any kind.

Windows development was so slow, that ChromeOS is taking part of the PC market, the only thing left for Microsoft. Microsoft managed to slow ChromOS growth, and they try to make an answer out of it with Windows 10 on ARM. But Microsoft issue is the same as Intel's. You have this big powerful product, but difficult to run on low-end/slow hardware like ARM CPUs, which Microsoft try to do, in order to make affordable system to complete against ChromeOS. In Intel case, they have this powerful x86 architecture but it is very power hungry as it was designed for desktop system, not laptops, and they can't make a low powered consuming chip... well they can.. but performance is weaker than ARM for the same power consumption... lets not forget costs too, another problem. Intel chips cost too much. Intel may eventually be able to make something, like Microsoft with Windows, but it there is no clear path.

For ChomeOS, the OS is ultra basic, slim, and can focus on features that consumers really cares about and consider as core experience, so it is easy for them to go up, especially when all the R&D was already done by others, and experimentation where already done by others. They see what works and not, and just implement the best solution. Also, being a new OS on the block, security issues isn't a big concern, so that is something they can deal with later when it becomes an issue.

Currently, Microsoft plans for Windows is to bring back dev support on it, they are also trying to make Windows into components that can put included or removed (don't expect a setup where you add remove components from checkboxes any time soon or ever, this is more for OEMs). This also include CShell, replacing Shell32 of Windows.The idea is to make Windows fit to more and new form factors better. Microsoft is working with Qualcomm, to try and make Windows 10 on ARM CPUs a thing. They kinda doing a software lunch where you have devices for it by OEMs, but limited productions, and near impossible to find anything on the OEM website about it, because it isn't really ready. ARM CPUs are too slow and don't have many needed technologies to run an OS like Windows smoothly on them. The Snapdragon 810 runs Windows 10 like a potato PC, 835 runs better, but x86 programs really kills it (too much). 845, we will see... it is obviously getting better with every Snapdragon generation as more and more CPU technologies are added, but even if they manage, it definitely needs a high-end chip to start with. Maybe in a few years, mid range chip would be fine, but not soon. Microsoft definitely aims, so far, for a Windows 10 powered phone/tablet convertible device. The company trying to keep Windows relevant... this is also why they implement many integration with your current smartphone. Soon you'l be able to read and send SMS, and view conversations from your phone on your PC, as well as access its content.

Microsoft is also not putting all its eggs in one basket in the case Windows does eventually disappears. Microsoft Launcher on Android, a launcher that has past 15 millions downloads and raving reviews, and partnering with Samsung, shows that a Microsoft powered Android phone, might be on the table  for the company. An Android phone with all Microsoft services. Imagine the latest and greatest Samsung Galaxy S/Note phone with Microsoft Launcher, and Microsoft apps and Cortana, instead of Samsung stuff and Bixby. Samsung is very happy with partnership with Microsoft. Both are going against Google.

On 5/17/2018 at 2:53 AM, scobie56 said:

I never encountered this, and I've installed with both an offline and online accounts. Granted some of the things they'd like you to do have a non-obvious way of avoiding them.

There's an option in Settings to prevent that from happening. And it works, because I have the option to disable that and not a single app has mysteriously found its way into my Start Menu again.

Some of those apps also come with the OS preinstalled, so you'll have to actually find them and remove them from the disk if you don't want them back. At least not that easily.

3) Again this might just be a bug but since i disabled the pin in windows every time i boot up my PC and login i get a screen that again tells me why i should have a pin instead of a password but at least i can click "set up later" on this screen. 

I haven't encountered this either. And it has never bugged me about setting up a PIN.

Why? Stripping down an OS to its bare essentials, whatever that may be, does nothing for performance unless you're running the OS on hardware worse than a potato. And even then, if you're just stripping things down because you don't think you need them, do you have an idea what most of the background apps and services does and how the applications you run interact with them and the rest of the OS?

And there's also the issue that practically all developers assume the default configuration is being used. But if you want this default configuration to be the bare bones one, then you're going to have the issue with application installers mucking more with the OS than they should when you need to enable something. In other words, unless you really know what you're doing, a bare bones configuration is worse for the end user, not better.

I mean, we could be going back to the good ol' days of DOS and before PnP was a thing. I'm sure manually setting those IRQs in a CLI will go well with 99.999% of the populace.

On one hand, I understand why Microsoft is doing this. On the other hand, I just wish it was more clear what data was being gathered. But it's not so, whatever, set it to Basic and call it a day.

Let Microsoft do whatever the hell they want and let the market's reaction dictate how they react. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other choices out there. The only person that's chaining you to Windows is yourself.

On 5/17/2018 at 4:36 PM, Delicieuxz said:

I see a lot of people making security updates a primary argument for which Windows OS they should install. Well, anyone who cares about security of their Windows OS that much should be installing Windows 7 and avoiding Windows 10, as Windows 10 is the least-secure Windows OS to-date. And if a person chooses Windows 10 over Windows 7 anyway, then it's obviously for a reason other than security - because Windows 7 is the more secure Windows OS.

The number of publicly disclosed vulnerabilities, like those listed in CVE, are not indicative of how secure or not secure an OS is. Otherwise Windows 98SE is vastly more secure than any other Windows OS. But we know that's a laughable assertion and downright false.

The other thing is that a publicly disclosed vulnerability means that Microsoft is aware of its existence. And if whoever disclosed it followed the gentleman's protocol of giving some arbitrarily, but long enough, amount of time before disclosing it, then chances are the vulnerability is patched. Therefore, it's reasonable to infer that more publicly disclosed vulnerabilities means that the product is likely to be more secure, because it's a known factor and because it's likely to have been patched (otherwise a major product who hasn't had a patch out for a major vulnerability would've made headlines on all the top tech websites).

Even if it's not patched, because it's a known factor and because it's been poked around enough, there are likely mitigations you can take to prevent the exploit from happening, or at the very least, make it harder for an attacker to do their thing. For example, when it was found the NTVDM subsystem had a vulnerability, a workaround was to simply disable 16-bit application support because NTVDM only serviced 16-bit applications. If you prevent the user from running 16-bit applications, you prevent the user from using NTVDM.

EDIT: If we're still going to use the number of publicly disclosed vulnerabilities as an indicator of how secure or insecure a product is, then Linux is the worst of them all: https://www.cvedetails.com/top-50-products.php. Three Linux products (the kernel itself, Android, and Debian) are in the top 10. The only Windows product in the top 10 is #8, and its Server 2008.

If you're fed up with Windows 10, like a lot of people increasingly are, and if you want to have an OS rather than a data-miner that makes you a cog in Microsoft's data farm with an OS-like front-end, then I recommend installing Windows 7 or Windows 8. They run on all the latest Intel and AMD CPUs, and do anything that Windows 10 does - and do it with more privacy, security, clarity, control, and comfort.

Windows 7 and 8/8.1 both have an update to enable the same telemetry "features" as Windows 10. Also, Windows 7's EOL is in like two years. And from there it's going to stop receiving patch updates. Windows 8.1 is up in 2023, so it's a little longer, but the problem still remains.

If you're that paranoid about your privacy, go run Linux.

On 5/17/2018 at 4:48 PM, dionkoffie said:

I don't use the start menu, Cortana or other bs Microsoft forces us to use.

Microsoft hasn't forced you to use anything.

43 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Microsoft hasn't forced you to use anything.

Well.. they are a bit too much ''in your face'' about it. Microsoft really wants you to use Edge, Bing and whatever bullshit they have and it's annoying. Edge somehow managed to set itself as default browser after the latest update. 

I really like Windows 10, but tbh.. we had more control of our own OS with the previous versions of Windows. Yeah you can turn those features off, but it's annoying to do so. If I want Cortana or if I want to use edge I'll install it myself. 

(same for Samsung forcing users to use fucking Bixbi)

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

2 minutes ago, dionkoffie said:

Well.. they are a bit too much ''in your face'' about it. Microsoft really wants you to use Edge, Bing and whatever bullshit they have and it's annoying. Edge somehow managed to set itself as default browser after the latest update. 

An even that happens like 0.00000001% of the time I used my PC. It's practically a non-issue. For me anyway.

2 minutes ago, dionkoffie said:

I really like Windows 10, but tbh.. we had more control of our own OS with the previous versions of Windows. Yeah you can turn those features off, but it's annoying to do so. If I want Cortana or if I want to use edge I'll install it myself.

And with great power comes great responsibility, and most people don't know how to manage that responsibility. A Microsoft software developer talked about this years ago, and the Dunning-Kruger effect is a thing.

On 5/17/2018 at 5:53 AM, scobie56 said:

You don't have to setup a PIN - there was a link to skip it. But you can remove it under Settings > Users and Accounts

I don't have background processes running for games and windows store apps other than my Spotify which I installed and want running. Maybe try checking under Task Manager > Startup and see if they are in there to disable. But i've not had it installing apps I don't want too. 

Havent tries this, will need to test it

My opinion is that its still in a transition to WUApp's , and each iteration theyre stripping away the older legacy ways of launching things, and moving closer towards their new "universal" environment. Theyve been running new and legacy in parallel since they switched to the new interface in Windows 8, so if anything they've actually been stripping a lot out of it. The only additions i've really noticed is Cortana. I don't believe MS should "just add what ever they want" but theyre still in a transition phase with Windows 10, and still have a lot of the old legacy stuff to remove. I couldnt care less about the telemetry, theyve been doing telemetry reporting since Windows 7. In the corporate world you can disable that stuff via GPO's and push out reg keys, and personally at home I don't care. It's not personal data, and I have much of it disabled anyway. If you don't think every single app on your iPhone/Android is doing some sort of telemetry reporting in some way then you're disillusioned. Theres much wrose out there than Microsoft. Facebook? YouTube? Google? even LTT with these forums will be collating your data to improve target audience. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Also the whole thing with telemetry is a catch-22. You want the developer to write better software, but you don't want to give them any information that could help them do so.

User > "My PC crashed"

Developer > "Okay, what happened when crashed?"

User> "I ain't telling you. Just fix my computer"

Developer > "*groan*"

10 minutes ago, dionkoffie said:

(same for Samsung forcing users to use fucking Bixbi)

Yes, they want you to use Edge, on their own OS? Edge btw is the fastest of the 4 core browsers and was the first to introduce a number of features - have you even given it a chance? It's been the first to support several new standards such as HEVC with PlayReady 3.0 hence to watch Netflix 4K in browser, you had to use Edge before Firefox & Chrome caught up. Edge has also been ahead of Firefox as far as html5 compatibility and second only to Chrome. It has all of the add-on support and cloud syncing functionality of the other browsers. But no one is forcing you to use it, and it takes 2 seconds to switch your defaults back after a major update which only happens once a year. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1 minute ago, Jarsky said:

Yes, they want you to use Edge, on their own OS? Edge btw is the fastest of the 4 core browsers and was the first to introduce a number of features - have you even given it a chance? It's been the first to support several new standards such as HEVC with PlayReady 3.0 hence to watch Netflix 4K in browser, you had to use Edge before Firefox & Chrome caught up. Edge has also been ahead of Firefox as far as html5 compatibility and second only to Chrome. It has all of the add-on support and cloud syncing functionality of the other browsers. But no one is forcing you to use it, and it takes 2 seconds to switch your defaults back after a major update which only happens once a year. 

been using chrome for at least a decade right now. Google saves my passwords and it's synced to my phone (I use Chrome on my phone too).

Plus Chrome has an awesome adblocker. That's why I still use it. 

6 minutes ago, dionkoffie said:

been using chrome for at least a decade right now. Google saves my passwords and it's synced to my phone (I use Chrome on my phone too).

Plus Chrome has an awesome adblocker. That's why I still use it. 

Thats cool, you know Edge has an 'Import from another browser' function, which can import your Favorites and Passwords from Chrome? It can also sync to Edge on Windows Phone, Android and iOS...(even Mac)? Chrome doesn't actually have an adblocker, I assume you're talking about ABP (Adblocker Plus)? The plugin is on Edge as well.

I also use Chrome, because I've been using it for about a decade as well - and used to do a lot of Unix work so would sync Chrome on my Linux desktop as well. Also when I used to do a lot of dev, Chrome (and Firefox) had much better developer toolsets. The one thing Edge doesn't have is an x86_64 Linux version - it has to be run under WINE. 

But the point is for many Edge is a perfectly fine solution and its in every way just as capable as Firefox and Chrome

Spoiler

Spoiler

Meh. Edge is getting better over time, but I just don't really like using it. I'm used to Chrome and I love it. I prefer using Google products over Microsoft's. (Except Chromebooks) 

One thing to fuel the flames once more is version 1803. If you choose not to setup a fresh install with a Micropenis account you're forced to set security questions for your goddamn login password. It legit won't let you continue without it. It's like, either login with a M$ account and you're good or we'll bitch you tenfold with a pole up your ass until next tuesday.

I setup PCs at work almost DAILY without MS accounts and this is just plain torture.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

17 minutes ago, dionkoffie said:

Meh. Edge is getting better over time, but I just don't really like using it. I'm used to Chrome and I love it. I prefer using Google products over Microsoft's. (Except Chromebooks) 

This sounds rather silly when you consider Google is about the same when it comes to the same grievances you're giving Microsoft.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

This sounds rather silly when you consider Google is about the same when it comes to the same grievances you're giving Microsoft.

Just personal preference. 

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I never encountered this, and I've installed with both an offline and online accounts. Granted some of the things they'd like you to do have a non-obvious way of avoiding them.

You should get it if you have April Update. You avoid it if your account has no password or you use auto-login via netplwiz. If you upgraded and not a clean install, it will ask you if you want to setup one or later (assuming you have a MS liked account) after several restarts and in a few days. If I recall correctly, it was introduced 2-3 before last builds on the Insider Preview program, and Microsoft made no mention of it in its blog post about the release (unless I accidentally skipped that part, which is possible)

1 hour ago, dionkoffie said:

Personally, I don't get how people use Chrome. All text is blurry. Firefox (Windows only) or Edge has proper font rendering. But that is my opinion. Yay Choice!

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You should get it if you have April Update. You avoid it if your account has no password or you use auto-login via netplwiz. If you upgraded and not a clean install, it will ask you if you want to setup one or later (assuming you have a MS liked account) after several restarts and in a few days. If I recall correctly, it was introduced 2-3 before last builds on the Insider Preview program, and Microsoft made no mention of it in its blog post about the release (unless I accidentally skipped that part, which is possible)

I've been using my laptop for the past week, which has 1803 and my Microsoft account linked to it, but it still hasn't asked me to set up a PIN. And this is after those few restarts because I had to debug a Bluetooth issue. I don't recall having the prompt when I updated but that was ancient history at this point.