CPU baking

lonewolf543210
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
2 hours ago, lonewolf543210 said:

is the coolermaster hyper tx3 evo better than an old intel stock cooler? and what is de difference between an tx3 evo and an tx3i?

Yes its better. Its among the best choices for super-cheap and small cooler. Not the best, though. TX3i fan is bit weaker and quieter, otherwise they are same.

hallo,

I need some help with my CPU cooler.

I have an intel core i5 4690 with the stock intel cooler. My motherboard is an Gigabyte h97n-wifi (rev 1.0). Since a week or so, the cpu has been slower and having it more difficult to folow and perform. I started seerching to te problem an found oud that my cpu cooler doesn't work properly. when the pc does a fresh start, the fan acts normal. after an hour or two the fan has a speed of somthing like 1058 rpm or so. but the temperatuer is about 10 degrees higher than normal when there is no load. when there is a smal load, the temperature rises to almost 70-75 degrees. the fan is than stil at 1050 rpm. with an aida64 stress test the temperature hits aubout 96-98 degrees and the fan is STILL at 1050 rpm.

I am scared that my CPU or Motherboard is broken, i hope it is just the cooler.

i read somewhere that a normal intel cooler should have a range between 800 to 2500 rpm. i don't know of this is rigth.

so can someone help me with this?

Ps: next pictures ar of a short time with an aida stress test

cpu.JPG.e27bf93f80419c6d40f3625b19938170.JPG

cooler.JPG.b386372999f2bc1062bb823482c8352b.JPG

either way, it wouldn't be a horrible idea to get a new cooler anyways.

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Maybe tap into the BIOS and tweak the fan settings there?

Anyway, the sudden temperature increase (assuming ambient temps didnt change much) is a sign of dried thermal paste.

btw, I thought you're trying to bake a broken CPU and bring it back to life, just like graphics cards.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Grab a 20 dollar towercooler. Should be much better than the stock cooler. 

sorry for the thought of baking and reviving. but anyways, vhanging the setting in the bois doesn't help. even a forcing program for the fan doesn't help. i am afraid that one of the pwm chips on the moterboard is broken. is there any other way to test out of this is the case insteat of buying a new cooler? because if it is indead the motherboard, i need too buy a new one while the fan mayby is perfectly fine. i don't really need a better cooler, just one that is working.

and about the dried thermal paste, that would't be very wierd because i have another pc that is 10 years old and works poerfectly fine. it is als an stock intel cooler. and my dad's pc is something like 9 years old als stock intel cooler and als has no temp problems.

so i don't really know. is buying another cooler and testing with that one the only way to figure it out?

12 minutes ago, lonewolf543210 said:

sorry for the thought of baking and reviving. but anyways, vhanging the setting in the bois doesn't help. even a forcing program for the fan doesn't help. i am afraid that one of the pwm chips on the moterboard is broken. is there any other way to test out of this is the case insteat of buying a new cooler? because if it is indead the motherboard, i need too buy a new one while the fan mayby is perfectly fine. i don't really need a better cooler, just one that is working.

and about the dried thermal paste, that would't be very wierd because i have another pc that is 10 years old and works poerfectly fine. it is als an stock intel cooler. and my dad's pc is something like 9 years old als stock intel cooler and als has no temp problems.

so i don't really know. is buying another cooler and testing with that one the only way to figure it out?

You can try plugging the CPU fan into a different fan header on the mobo for testing (swap it with system fan or case fan, etc.).

A CPU doesn't start putting out more heat as it ages, so the problem lies elsewhere. A cooler is the cheapest component to replace in this case, so that's why we're considering that you're best bet.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

You can try plugging the CPU fan into a different fan header on the mobo (swap it with system fan or case fan, etc.).

but then the temp sensor thinks that the case is fine so the cpu wont sped up either, not?

8 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

A CPU doesn't start putting out more heat as it ages, so the problem lies elsewhere. A cooler is the cheapest component to replace in this case, so that's why we're considering that you're best bet.

it's kind of wierd that my cooler would be broken while the cooler of my moms pc is the same age and the same cooler, but it seems indeed the only way tho find out. well, thats not so fun. so, does anyone now a cheep and good cooler that is pretty smal. the cooler that i am looking at is an be quiet! Shadow rock TF 2, but it is a little expencif for an air cooler, isnt it? oh ya this cooler is also the highest one that fits in my case.

3 minutes ago, lonewolf543210 said:

it's kind of wierd that my cooler would be broken while the cooler of my moms pc is the same age and the same cooler, but it seems indeed the only way tho find out. well, thats not so fun. so, does anyone now a cheep and good cooler that is pretty smal. the cooler that i am looking at is an be quiet! Shadow rock TF 2, but it is a little expencif for an air cooler, isnt it? oh ya this cooler is also the highest one that fits in my case.

It's like a lightbulb, it's rated for a number of hours but chances are that it conks out many hours before that. It also works the other way of course. Age alone isn't the full story.

And yes, that's expensive. Why not go for something cheap like a Coolermaster Hyper T2, TX3 or 212? or a Deepcool Gammaxx 200.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

11 minutes ago, lonewolf543210 said:

but then the temp sensor thinks that the case is fine so the cpu wont sped up either, not?

If the problem is the mobo, then testing in a different header may give control of the fan speed.  The goal of the test is not to make the system functional, but to find out if the CPU fan can be controlled.  If the controls in BIOS are insufficient (like BIOS dictating that all of the fans run at the same speed) you can try using Gigabyte's Easytune software to control the fans.

1 minute ago, Blasteque said:

If the problem is the mobo, then testing in a different header may give control of the fan speed.  The goal of the test is not to make the system functional, but to find out if the CPU fan can be controlled.  If the controls in BIOS are insufficient (like BIOS dictating that all of the fans run at the same speed) you can try using Gigabyte's Easytune software to control the fans.

with that the bois does't i meant that de changes don't matter because after an hour or two it the same problem again.

is the coolermaster hyper tx3 evo better than an old intel stock cooler? and what is de difference between an tx3 evo and an tx3i?

the idle temp was when it workt about 40-42 degrees Celcius and the rpm between 1200-1300 rpm.

Edited by lonewolf543210
forgot to metion

31 minutes ago, lonewolf543210 said:

with that the bois does't i meant that de changes don't matter because after an hour or two it the same problem again.

Maybe we're not fully understating each other.  I think your concerned is that it might be the motherboard and not the fan; if after a reboot the fan is fast and then slows down, then that is not an unreasonable theory.  Here's the test I propose to determine if it is the fan or if it is the mobo:

1. swap fan headers on the mobo for the CPU fan and a case fan.

2. then put the computer under load so that the CPU temp increases to ~75C. That should trigger BIOS to increase fan speed for the CPU fan (which has now been temporarily replaced with a case fan).

3. if the case fan that is now plugged into the CPU header increases speed, then it's the CPU fan that is bad.  If the case fan does not increase in speed, then it's the mobo that is bad.

4 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

Maybe we're not fully understating each other.  I think your concerned is that it might be the motherboard and not the fan; if after a reboot the fan is fast and then slows down, then that is not an unreasonable theory.  Here's the test I propose to determine if it is the fan or if it is the mobo:

1. swap fan headers on the mobo for the CPU fan and a case fan.

2. then put the computer under load so that the CPU temp increases to ~75C. That should trigger BIOS to increase fan speed for the CPU fan (which has now been temporarily replaced with a case fan).

3. if the case fan that is now plugged into the CPU header increases speed, then it's the CPU fan that is bad.  If the case fan does not increase in speed, then it's the mobo that is bad.

it is indeed a good test , there is only one problem, my case fan is has only one rpm. it is a three pin connector and it is 15 years old. i had it laying aroud and just put it in the case.

1 hour ago, lonewolf543210 said:

the idle temp was when it workt about 40-42 degrees Celcius and the rpm between 1200-1300 rpm.

I have a overclocked 4690k with cooler master hyper212 evo and I idle at about 29c at room temperature, Speedfan says 1330 RPM. 

I would try getting an aftermarket cooler, if you want a small one like the intel stock cooler maybe try a low profile model... or just get another intel stock cooler from somewhere they should be dirt cheap (like under $10) gl

edit: just realised your motherboard is a mini-ITX so youll need a really small cooler. that Bequiet model you were looking at should work, looks like it could be a pain to install though. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

thanks for all of your help, i will post it when it is solved or not with an aftermarked cooler.

2 hours ago, lonewolf543210 said:

Yes its better. Its among the best choices for super-cheap and small cooler. Not the best, though. TX3i fan is bit weaker and quieter, otherwise they are same.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...

i have now the aftermarked cooler for about 3 days. the problem seems to be solved. apparently there has to be some kind of temp sensor in the fan it self or one of the coils had to be damaged. anyway, the cooling performens is also improved with at normal use a 10 degrees difference and at load with an aida64 test about 20 to 30 degrees improved. so tanks for the help you guys.

And the problem is back but now it seems it only happens after the pc wakes up from standby. So, does anyone know wat the heck is going on with my pc?