Team Xecuter preview the new Switch Modchip, Switch SX.

Master Disaster

REMEMBER ITS OK TO DISCUSS MODCHIPS AND PIRACY BUT ITS AGAINST THE RULES TO LINK TO ANY FORM OF WAREZ, ROMS OR PIRATED MATERIAL. PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD DISCUSSION ONLY!!

After months of speculation the first commercial mod chip for the Switch has finally been previewed by Team Xecuter

Team Xecuter have finally unveiled their first Nintendo Switch "modchip" - the first in a "SX" range of products.

The device features a jig to short out the right JoyCon connector and a USB dongle that connects to the Switch and injects a custom firmware into the device.

The video shows off a dongle that connects to the Switch's USB type-C port and an accompanying device that attaches to the Switch's right-hand side Joycon rail. The Switch is then booted into a Team Xecuter custom firmware that shows the Switch running commercial backups and the ability to switch games in real-time.

sx-switch-jpg.123388

The device is compatible with all current Switches, all regions and firmwares. Pre Orders open this week.

This is the first in a line of "SX" products from Team Xecuter and promises full compatibility with Switch's from all regions and all firmwares.

Pre-orders for the device are to open this week, with more details to follow.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/team-xecuter-shows-exclusive-video-demonstrating-their-first-sx-nintendo-switch-modchip.503868/

http://team-xecuter.com/sx-family/

My thoughts, I'm torn. The current Switch homebrew scene have been very firm about not enabling Piracy on the Switch, I fear now they'll have no choice.

Like it or not most people look at console modding to enable Piracy and now TX have done exactly that very few people will bother with the free non piracy stuff if they can buy a device to enable it for them.

I also think this device is a much cleaner solution than anything the free stuff will offer, this is an AIO solution that's plug and play while Atmosphere will always require a risky hardmod and a PC to install it. It also looks like the TX chips is non persistent meaning you can always reboot to remove the firmware and play online, Atmosphere will be using EMUnand to achieve this and it's entirety possible Nintendo can still detect that and ban consoles anyway.

It's currently not clear if the SX will be compatible with homebrew payloads and vice versa, homebrew applications should work fine assuming TX allow support for installing them. Users have already got a plethora of emulators and Kodi running on Switch (albeit via Linux) and work is underway on porting RetroArch to Switch (natively) as well as an FTP server and even running the SNES Classic interface on the Switch too.

I guess this shows how closed source paid development achieves results faster than open source non paid.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Wow, that is pretty interesting. This is a very user friendly solution to potentially enable piracy. This is very bad news for Nintendo.  That being said, I think the target audience of Nintendo is more kids and families, and those types of demographics would be less inclined to resort to piracy than the audience for say the PS4 would be.

Does the device explicitly enable you to pirate ROMS or ISO's or whatever of full switch games? Or do you need to install third party applications on the custom firmware first ?

If it is the former, does Nintendo not have the legal means to shut this thing down?

I believe back in the day the PSP custom firmwares allowed you to just boot ISO's off of a memory stick.

This modchip (can we really call it a modchip if its just an alternate firmware and an external softmod to boot it?) is interesting, but does it allow movement towards using the switch as a general purpose tablet? I haven’t been following the Switch scene, but I’m interested when and how someone will find a way to run a tablet OS or interface (Android, Linux with KDE or Gnome Mobile, Ubuntu Mobile, etc) and with the ability to also switch back to the stock OS for Nintendo-approved games (cartridge and download). It looks like the firmware this runs is just a modification of the stock OS, not anything different.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

12 minutes ago, maartendc said:

If it is the former, does Nintendo not have the legal means to shut this thing down?

Unlikely, considering the multitude of flash carts available for various consoles, not to mention GameSharks, GBC Worm Lights, and other "third party accessories" that nintendo never authorized or approved of.

I'm no lawyer but I don't think Nintendo would allow things like the SD2SNES to be sold for almost 200 bucks, solely for playing SNES roms, if they had the legal right to stop such a thing from existing.

27 minutes ago, brwainer said:

This modchip (can we really call it a modchip if its just an alternate firmware and an external softmod to boot it?) is interesting, but does it allow movement towards using the switch as a general purpose tablet? I haven’t been following the Switch scene, but I’m interested when and how someone will find a way to run a tablet OS or interface (Android, Linux with KDE or Gnome Mobile, Ubuntu Mobile, etc) and with the ability to also switch back to the stock OS for Nintendo-approved games (cartridge and download). It looks like the firmware this runs is just a modification of the stock OS, not anything different.

Linux is already running, it has basic 3d support (no hardware acceleration yet) but no sound, you don't even need to run mobile Linux, people have Arch and Ubuntu running with XFDE and Gnome. Oh and no JoyCon support however that's coming very soon.

I think you've misunderstood what you saw, the TX custom firmware runs during boot up, it's the red screen with 3 icons on it. That firmware simply patches Nintendos OS to remove security checks and then boots the device up normally, that's why it looks like stock Switch OS, because it is.

That's how CFW worked on Wii & Wii U and it looks like that's how it will be done on Switch too. Atmosphere (the free CFW) does exactly the same thing, takes over the bootrom, patches the stock OS then boots normally with no security checks in place.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

28 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Wow, that is pretty interesting. This is a very user friendly solution to potentially enable piracy. This is very bad news for Nintendo.  That being said, I think the target audience of Nintendo is more kids and families, and those types of demographics would be less inclined to resort to piracy than the audience for say the PS4 would be.

Does the device explicitly enable you to pirate ROMS or ISO's or whatever of full switch games? Or do you need to install third party applications on the custom firmware first ?

I believe back in the day the PSP custom firmwares allowed you to just boot ISO's off of a memory stick.

Yes, TX have been very public about this device enabling Piracy.

Switch doesn't have ISOs, it has ROM Dumps. Remember the free solution doesn't currently support piracy (it's not even released yet) so theres no information on how booting ROM Dumps will work. TX will have their own solution but it sure looked like they booted direct from the Switches OS to me.

For homebrew it's my understanding that you put the files onto your Switch (either by direct transfer to the device or by SD Card) then you boot a homebrew launcher to run the homebrew. Like I said, there's no guarantee TX will even support homebrew, it might be games only but I doubt it. I should note that very few people currently have access to Switch homebrew, Linux is public but homebrew support is still kind of private, it's devs only right now cause without Atmosphere there's not much the public can do with it.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Linux is already running, it has basic 3d support (no hardware acceleration yet) but no sound, you don't even need to run mobile Linux, people have Arch and Ubuntu running with XFDE and Gnome. Oh and no JoyCon support however that's coming very soon.

I think you've misunderstood what you saw, the TX custom firmware runs during boot up, it's the red screen with 3 icons on it. That firmware simply patches Nintendos OS to remove security checks and then boots the device up normally, that's why it looks like stock Switch OS, because it is.

I didn't misunderstand what this is, but I guess I wasn't clear. This particular product/method doesn't do anything for me. As for general linux working, the reason I want a mobile interface running is because I want to be able to use this as a general tablet - basically as a replacement for the old NVidia Shield Tablet since that's what the base hardware inside basically is.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Still very lucky to have gotten an Xbox which used one of their mod chips instead of one of the short lived clones. Note as well that you didn't need the chip to run games off an Xbox (After copying them from the original discs in my case)-software exploit FTW.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

WOW Team Xecuter, i run an OG XBOX with a Xecuter 2.6CE modchip!

Intel Xeon E5640 4510mhz 1.10v-1.42v (offset) - C states on (◣_◢) 16GB 2x4 1x8 1296mhz CL7 (◣_◢) ASUS P6X58DE (◣_◢) Radeon R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro (◣_◢) 500GB HDD x2 1TB HDD x2 (RAID) Intel 480GB SSD (◣_◢) NZXT S340 (◣_◢) 130hz VS VX2268WM

On 5/15/2018 at 2:45 AM, StarJudy said:

So,can anyone knows the Formal retail price of Team Xecuter SX ? I just think we can get little information from the official site. I search a site can pre-ordered the SX Flashcard,which is the 3DS-Flashcard.site, but I don't know if the price is reasonable?

I believe on the team Xeutor site its RRP: $34.99 for the Pro, and $24.99 for the SX. Most of their linked sellers are ~$40 usd. 

Is it worth to buy the Switch? I have seen some games for it like some Super Mario games, and also Donkey Kong and they seem to be very fun.

And how is the display? Is it also good to watch movies/episodes on it?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280