How do I swap inputs on monitor with hotkey?

OverC1ockeD

I'm considering setting up my X-Box One S/X-Box One with my gaming desktop setup. But if I go triple monitors it'll become a pain in the ass to reach behind the monitors to change inputs. Ideally, I would like to still be able to control my desktop computer on the left and right displays for streaming & open chat windows while gaming on my X-Box One /S on the center monitor. What's the best way to accomplish this? It would be amazing to hotkey it to my Razer keyboard instead of a clunky hardware solution. Would that be possible? Please let me know your thoughts, thanks and I look forward to the replies!

There isn’t really any way to do this without doing something facy with an arduino.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

there is a way. i have triple displays, and if you configure them correctly you can use windows+p on the keyboard to go to second screen only, that should turn off your center display. put that one on auto input selection and you shoudn't have to change inputs. 

She/Her

8 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

there is a way. i have triple displays, and if you configure them correctly you can use windows+p on the keyboard to go to second screen only, that should turn off your center display. put that one on auto input selection and you shoudn't have to change inputs. 

Can you elaborate on this a little more with how you set this up?

13 minutes ago, OverC1ockeD said:

Can you elaborate on this a little more with how you set this up?

i think i just swapped the cables in the past.. i can't try that now, so you'll have to try. sorry. 

to clarify, swap the cables in the displays. so lets say with the second screen option on, your center and left monitor work, just swap the center and the right monitor's cables. i think that worked for me in the past. but again, you have to try that yourself. i might be wrong. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i think i just swapped the cables in the past.. i can't try that now, so you'll have to try. sorry. 

to clarify, swap the cables in the displays. so lets say with the second screen option on, your center and left monitor work, just swap the center and the right monitor's cables. i think that worked for me in the past. but again, you have to try that yourself. i might be wrong. 

This is going to be a hell of a lot of work so I don't want to trial and error it but I think I understand what you mean. I'll have to keep looking further into this.

2 minutes ago, OverC1ockeD said:

This is going to be a hell of a lot of work so I don't want to trial and error it but I think I understand what you mean. I'll have to keep looking further into this.

swapping cables is a lot of work? did you cable manage all of them nicely? 

you could always swap them at the gpu side if they are the same port.. if you know what i mean. 

She/Her

You can do it!

In fact I have made it, including actual brightness control (not software driven fake brightness, I mean really increasing your screen brightness like on laptops and tablets).

I have to dig through my old projects. But there is a DDC/CI call that you can send to switch video inputs. The problem is that not every monitor supports it, and each monitors manufacture, even model, works differently, but it can be done.

13 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You can do it!

In fact I have made it, including actual brightness control (not software driven fake brightness, I mean really increasing your screen brightness like on laptops and tablets).

I have to dig through my old projects. But there is a DDC/CI call that you can send to switch video inputs. The problem is that not every monitor supports it, and each monitors manufacture, even model, works differently, but it can be done.

This sounds very interesting. I'm currently running a PG278QR and looking into three PG27VQ because I want curved surround monitors. I heard they were working on a PG27VQR which will be same display except with quantum dot which would be amazing so considering the cost (and due to cost, one they're ordered there's no turning back lol). How exactly did you get this to work and what's involved?

7 hours ago, OverC1ockeD said:

How exactly did you get this to work and what's involved?

So I have a Dell monitor (Dell UltraSharp U2410. I think it is almost 10 years old, and still going strong), and working in IT, I know that Dell has a software for companies that allows IT to control monitor settings, like brightness and turning them on or off at a certain time of day. Now, it isn't unique to Dell's. HP has one, EIZO, and more, All this works via a protocol called DDC/CI. Now, I do know that that they are other software that controls monitor without being a company, like monitor color calibration tools can control the monitor colors to adjust the colors at a hardware level to get them correct. Some Dell monitors, for example, allows, via the same protocol for a supported color calibrator to reprogram the LUT table to really get the proper color and not limited to Red, Green and Blue generic color control that you have on most monitor (or: R/G/B in Gain, R/G/B in Offset, R/G/B/C/M/Y in Hue, R/G/B/C/M/Y in Saturation in my case, as it is a more fancy monitor).

So at the time (like 9 years ago or so), there was nothing, and still not sure today, so I decided to look into DDC/CI, and started to code my own software. I got it working, and everything it fine, but it is more in a prototype stage. The problem with DDC/CI, is that beside the call for like brightness and contrast, the input control and color, are not standard between monitors. So I can provide you my software, but some functionality might not work, or need to be configured, like I can send a command to select an input, but it takes a number. So I don't know what are your actual inputs, and what is input 0, 1, 2, etc. The software I have made was, as you can guess, designed for my Dell U2410, and I never implemented some customization options, as it was designed for it, and was prototype. I never saw interest in such software by people, so I never bothered continuing, but perhaps I should dig it up, and resume its development.

All you need is  a monitor that support DDC/CI protocol. See the monitor specs sheet. Usually, but not always, the monitor would have an on screen menu item to enable or disable DDC/CI (it, of course needs to be enabled, which usually is by default).

Hdmi switch with remote control? this (or without remote) can do the trick?

https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-501BN-Premium-wireless-adapter/dp/B0049SCB2Y

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

1 hour ago, Peskanova said:

Hdmi switch with remote control? this (or without remote) can do the trick?

https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-501BN-Premium-wireless-adapter/dp/B0049SCB2Y

This is what I was just about to suggest.  Plus with 5 ports you can add more consoles to your setup.

For my setup I use a 4x2 matrix so I can also toggle displaying to my monitor or TV.

• 2 weeks later...