Someone explain why Haswell would be better than Pentium?

Zny
Go to solution Solved by KaareKanin,

In general, when one CPU performs better than another CPU even though they have the same clockspeeds, number of cores or cache (or whatever other spec you might be comparing, it comes down to architecture, the way the electric workings of the chip itself is laid out. Newer CPUs are generally able to do more for each clock cycle than older ones, this is often referred to as IPC, instructions per clock.

So if you're wondering why an old CPU performs worse singlethreaded than a new CPU even though they run at the same clock speeds, there's your answer.

But there are other reasons why newer is better. Generally: more cores, lower power consumption, more features, integrated graphics. 

I now that they can have similar clock speeds but what makes one better than the other? What makes a one cpu greater than the other? (Could make a nice TechQuickie video)

Pentium is 30+ years old. no support left for it

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

New manufacturing process, more cores, more threads, more cache, smaller die, cooler, more power efficient, 291376512903875601293879 years newer, and may may more reasons. When you say Pentium do you mean P1, P2, P3, or P4?

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

It's not all about clock speeds. Just because a Pentium chip and a Haswell chip have the same clock speed that doesn't mean that they will perform the same. They are completely different.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

It's not all about clock speeds. Just because a Pentium chip and a Haswell chip have the same clock speed that doesn't mean that they will perform the same. They are completely different.

you are completely wrong.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

*facepalm*

I know Haswell is better I understand that I was just looking for a explanation as to why. Doing that *facepalm* adds nothing to the conversation. What technical differences between the two makes one greater than the other. What changes makes one better than the other

you are completely wrong.

Okay that is fine, But instead of saying that everyone on this thread is completely wrong it would be nice to elaborate why as well as answering the guys question.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

if you dont use hyperthreading then get pentium

Okay that is fine, But instead of saying that everyone on this thread is completely wrong it would be nice to elaborate why as well as answering the guys question.

pentium is only a brand name you could also call it "i1"

"i1" aka Pentium G < i3 < i5 < i7

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

pentium is only a brand name you could also call it "i1"

"i1" aka Pentium G < i3 < i5 < i7

Thank you. ^_^

Spoiler

-

I know Haswell is better I understand that I was just looking for a explanation as to why. Doing that *facepalm* adds nothing to the conversation. What technical differences between the two makes one greater than the other. What changes makes one better than the other

u didn't specify what pentium u were talking about also haswell is an architecture not a cpu naming scheme so how could i contribute...

Pentium as in like the old P4 or as in the current Pentium?, lets go with the Current Haswell Pentium vs something like an i5. What makes them different can be because of IPC (Instructions Per Clock), Clock speed, cores, architecture of the chip.

Put it this way, a Pentium can make a Lego building in 10 seconds at 3ghz and the i5 can do it in 1 second at 3ghz, One is faster even though its at the same clock speed.

Only way I could think of showing why they are different.

Galaxy: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz (Cooled by a h105) - ASUS Sabertooth Z77 - Corsair Vengeance 8gb Ram - Nvidia GTX 780 2 way Sli - Corsair HX850i - Corsair C70

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Battlefield 4 Collectors Edition (TO BE REPLACED BY K65 RGB) - Logitech G502 - Hyperx Cloud

In general, when one CPU performs better than another CPU even though they have the same clockspeeds, number of cores or cache (or whatever other spec you might be comparing, it comes down to architecture, the way the electric workings of the chip itself is laid out. Newer CPUs are generally able to do more for each clock cycle than older ones, this is often referred to as IPC, instructions per clock.

So if you're wondering why an old CPU performs worse singlethreaded than a new CPU even though they run at the same clock speeds, there's your answer.

But there are other reasons why newer is better. Generally: more cores, lower power consumption, more features, integrated graphics. 

Pentium is 30+ years old. no support left for it

Nope not that old.

And it has x86 instruction set which means it's still supported. Whether it's fast enough to run your application usefully is a different question.

Nope not that old.

And it has x86 instruction set which means it's still supported. Whether it's fast enough to run your application usefully is a different question.

ok 20 but still http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/feature/2256771/intels-pentium-processor-turns-20-years-old-today

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE