Samsung 840 Evo VS Intel 530

Hey guys i am going to be buying an SSD today and there is these 2 beast drives here. The 120gb Samsung 840 Evo for $90 and the Intel 530 180GB $109 with free shipping which one should i go to since i heard thet the intel has MLC which is better than TLC but i heard the Samsung Evo is slightly faster. Make sure to leave a comment saying which one do you think is a better option.

Hey guys i am going to be buying an SSD today and there is these 2 beast drives here. The 120gb Samsung 840 Evo for $90 and the Intel 530 180GB $109 with free shipping which one should i go to since i heard thet the intel has MLC which is better than TLC but i heard the Samsung Evo is slightly faster. Make sure to leave a comment saying which one do you think is a better option.

get the intel when you need > 120GB, get the Samsung when your price limit is 90 USD.

performance wise in 'real world' scenarios the difference in speed is marginal.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

840 EVO seems to be the better of the two http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/965?vs=1054

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Don't know much about the Intel 530 series, but I myself would take a 840 Evo. It has a Linus badge of approval.

yes but the intel 530 has 60GB more for $20 more and it has a 5 year warranty instead of 3

Go for the Intel then :P

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

yep is better, but I highly doubt you would actually feel the difference ;)

yeah thats what i heard they also told me the intel 530 would in theory last longer because it has MLC

I would get the 840 EVO. A lot of reviews have recommended it over the Intel 530 series. But I believe in real world performance you will not see much of a difference.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Can't complain about my intel 530.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Can't complain about my intel 530.

would you recommend it, it has an amazing price.

would you recommend it, it has an amazing price.

Yes, however I have only had mine for about 3 months and so far it's been great. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I'd get the Intel. Longer warranty and theoretically higher endurance nand. Their SSD Toolbox is also pretty neat .

Samsung 840 EVO or Intel 530 both are world class ssd, At the end of the day, though, Intel & Samsung have the best reliability history with their SSDs, but as with everything, both do still have an above-zero failure rate. You won't be disappointed with either, and you'll keep a backup of important stuff anyway.. I use Intel 520 (sandforce controller) series driver & quite happy with the overall performance

Just make yourself a favor and stay away form sandforce garbage. While it is a better value at given price and it does have "better" flash (not really better for u, unless you write ton of data) its inferior controller makes it a less desirable choice.

Just save a few bucks more and get yourself a 250GB evo, if u need the space. Also, if its cheaper, m500 is also a great choice.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

I have a 840 EVO and all I can say is, that in terms of actual performance it's absolutely great and I would always buy it again! 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is late but for anyone else who happens to read this I wouldn't recommend the Intel 530. I bought one on boxing day, the 240Gb model for $170 CAN.  After 2 weeks my computer began to randomly freeze with the activity LED constantly lit.  The SSD won't even pass the Intel Toolkit read test and if I speed test it it only gets around 200MB/s. It should be closer to 500.  From reading online I suppose this issue is from that crappy sandforce controller so I'm going to replace the 530 for an EVO or Pro since they seem to use better controllers.