Using two different GPUs?

Hi, I'm new to PC building and I currently have a GTX 1070.  This is pretty good for me for gaming at 1080p, but I'm starting to get into programming and hashing many functions in a small period of time (not mining - pure hatred for them) is one of my priorities right now.  Someone has offered a (used) GTX 680 for $60 to me (that's like a deck of Magic the Gathering Cards!) and I would like to ask; could this 680 somehow help my performance?

you mean use both gpu's together for the same task?

She/Her

Well in the case of mining people use dissimilar cards all the time, so with whatever you're hashing it should work as well. As far as a a performance gain, there should be some difference.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Considering what application you are using, you can potential run different ones on each card.  The 680 won't be near as fast as the 1070, but it at least would allow to do side work that is smaller on it.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

could have 1 gpu running in the background for rendering ( with cuda cores ) and other gpu for gaming , other then that if games/programs support to select a gpu u can do those applications/games too ,   and if they dont support gpu selection, well second gpu is useless

(◑‿◐)

Also, is the $60 price tag a good deal?  Considering that it's considerably old. . .

3 hours ago, freezingfire879 said:

Hi, I'm new to PC building and I currently have a GTX 1070.  This is pretty good for me for gaming at 1080p, but I'm starting to get into programming and hashing many functions in a small period of time (not mining - pure hatred for them) is one of my priorities right now.  Someone has offered a (used) GTX 680 for $60 to me (that's like a deck of Magic the Gathering Cards!) and I would like to ask; could this 680 somehow help my performance?

from what i know, youi can put two different cards, but not connect them with crossfire nor sli, whta you can do is have them both and when you need one more powerful, just deactivate the 680 and use the 1070, but what you are saying is impossible

3 hours ago, asand1 said:

Well in the case of mining people use dissimilar cards all the time, so with whatever you're hashing it should work as well. As far as a a performance gain, there should be some difference.

yeah, but they separate the workload in different programs, you cannot link them in sli nor crossfire, but you can have them on the same pc, just doing something different

No one here is talking about sli though. We are discussing hashing and adding an older GPU to an already good gaming machine.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

It's the same setup like mining, your software mostlikely will have GPU selection for rendering/encoding/calculating or whatever term the software used.

If you are going to make money out of this, essentially it's the same workload as mining which ironically you hate it so much.

2 minutes ago, asand1 said:

No one here is talking about sli though. We are discussing hashing and adding an older GPU to an already good gaming machine.

i know, im just trying to clarify that their power cannot be fused, but he can use the 680 for a smaller task (like web browsing, idk) while he uses the 1070 for gaming

1 hour ago, NotTheRelaxngEnd said:

i know, im just trying to clarify that their power cannot be fused, but he can use the 680 for a smaller task (like web browsing, idk) while he uses the 1070 for gaming

You can use both cards for the same purpose regarding folding/mining etc. You can use it for extra monitors. The only thing you can't use it for is multi GPU gaming. 

What you are trying to clarify was never asked or implied and frankly muddies the water.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

Not gonna mine with that card. Even if it could, it wouldn’t make its worth in electricity. Could try to render with it, just as much of a waste of time though. At the speed it will do it, would take all day compared to anything else. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz