New PC build will only boot with 1 stick of ram

mangomagic

I finished building my system last night and wanted to boot into the bios to make sure everything looked good only to realize the computer would power on but then my mouse/keyboard/monitor would get no signal (yet all the fans were running). The computer would power on and then restart itself and then continue doing that until I hold down the power to shut it down.

I unplugged everything (cpu fans, cooler fan, gpu), reseated the ATX connectors (24-pin and 8-pin) but still no luck. I tried different positions for the RAM and then when I tried booting with 1 stick of RAM I was able to boot into the bios (FYI I tested both sticks of RAM individually and they both allow me to get into the bios).

I tried resetting the CMOS, tried different slots for the RAM and also enabling XMP for my memory via the bios, no luck. The system still won't boot with 2 sticks of ram.

Am I missing anything or should I just rma the motherboard?

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z370P D3

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3000

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80 Plus Gold 650W

CPU: i7-8700

Hello there, try booting with the 2 sticks but in Single Channel mode instead will you?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Hello there, try booting with the 2 sticks but in Single Channel mode instead will you?

Thanks for the reply! I'm at work for the day but will definitely try this when I get home later. Do I enable single channel mode through the bios?

Edit: Nevermind, I will consult my motherboard manual and figure out which slots I need to have the RAM in for single channel.

6 minutes ago, mangomagic said:

Thanks for the reply! I'm at work for the day but will definitely try this when I get home later. Do I enable single channel mode through the bios?

No you simply place the sticks besides each others on the most far right possible (facing the mobo):

MDWRvF0.jpg

This will have it run in single channel, if it manages to boot and all 16gb of ram is usable by the system it could be the case of excessive pressure with the CPU cooler, the i7 8700's IMC is a bit sensitive if you pressure it too much it may disable dual channel and can only run in single channel.

I have had this problem myself... you can just run all on single channel it makes absolutely no difference in the majority of cases(performance wise) specially with XMP up or try loosing up the cooler some trying to see if it helps re-enable dual channel.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

i am not sure how you placed them, but try and place them every other slot, if that doesnt work try vice versa

MF UH BEANS

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

No you simply place the sticks besides each others on the most far right possible (facing the mobo):

MDWRvF0.jpg

This will have it run in single channel, if it manages to boot and all 16gb of ram is usable by the system it could be the case of excessive pressure with the CPU cooler, the i7 8700's IMC is a bit sensitive if you pressure it too much it may disable dual channel and can only run in single channel.

I have had this problem myself... you can just run all on single channel it makes absolutely no difference in the majority of cases(performance wise) specially with XMP up or try loosing up the cooler some trying to see if it helps re-enable dual channel.

I'm 99% sure I tried this last night but it was late and I was very tired. I'll give it another shot later today. Do you know if I should disable XMP before trying this? Or does it not matter?

Also, when I installed the cooler I did feel like it was putting way too much pressure on the CPU.... I couldn't get it to boot with 2 sticks even without the cooler on the cpu. I don't think I tried single channel mode without the cooler on the CPU though. Maybe I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, aries757 said:

i am not sure how you placed them, but try and place them every other slot, if that doesnt work try vice versa

I tried 1-3, 2-4 and other combinations as well.. No luck.