Is my high ping caused by my router or internet provider?

CGFrog

So I built a new PC a few months back and I want to play some games online with it however that isn't as simple as I thought because my ping on an average day is at least 700ms to 1000ms. I want to know how I can lower my ping even to 200ms either by getting a new, better router or changing to a better internet provider when one better comes out to my area. The router I use is a NetGear WNDR3400v3 and my internet provider is Viasat (formerly known as exede) and I am supposed to get 25mbps download speeds however I have yet to see my download speeds rise above 17mbps and a 60gb per month bandwidth limit. The router usually has around 7 people on it at a time and 1-2 are usually watching videos. Thank you!

It sounds like you might be maxing out your bandwidth, but also I wouldn't be surprised if your ISP is the cause of the latency as well. What kind of connection does your router have? Given the 60gb bandwidth limit, it sounds like it might be an LTE modem? Also, if 1-2 people are usually watching videos, I'm surprised you don't exceed your bandwidth limit every month.

4 minutes ago, CGFrog said:

So I built a new PC a few months back and I want to play some games online with it however that isn't as simple as I thought because my ping on an average day is at least 700ms to 1000ms. I want to know how I can lower my ping even to 200ms either by getting a new, better router or changing to a better internet provider when one better comes out to my area. The router I use is a NetGear WNDR3400v3 and my internet provider is Viasat (formerly known as exede) and I am supposed to get 25mbps download speeds however I have yet to see my download speeds rise above 17mbps and a 60gb per month bandwidth limit. The router usually has around 7 people on it at a time and 1-2 are usually watching videos. Thank you!

Is your connection via satellite?  If it is, then:

https://www.exede.com/blog/satellite-internet-latency-whats-big-deal/

latency is an inescapable reality with satellite internet.  Sure, the speeds can be quite fast, but there is always a delay.

What kind of service do you have? DSL? Cable? Satellite? I had that same router a long time ago. I ditched it because it only has 10/100 ethernet.

Edit: Viasat seems to only have satellite, which is the cause of your pings.