Dual vs. Ultrawide

Hey everyone,

I'm updating my workspace and have been struggling over the infinite question: Dual Monitors vs. Ultra wide. Now I have had a long history with dual monitors and they have been great for productivity but the one thing I hate is that I have never been able to get consistent colors.

One monitor's colors always ends up looking colder while the other one is warmer. This is something I've learned to work around but I would like to for once have a set up that has consistent colors. I design and develop websites and getting proper colors is key.

I love productivity on a dual monitor set up but hate the color issues. But is an ultra wide really good productivity/ worth the price? Wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks!

Personally I like the separation provided by dual monitors. It's just cleaner and offers that separation.

If you like the clean look of one whole screen I'd go with ultrawide. They're definitely pretty if you can find a wallpaper that fits

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

You'll end up getting 50-50 opinions in here... both are compelling after all.

My personal one goes in favour to a single ultrawide... but I'm just about to go on my lunch period so can't get in depth :3

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I currently have two monitors and i like it quite well. They're calibrated so they look the same.
However i also like the idea of having one ultrawide as it will clear up a ton of deskspace and look cleaner.

So there isn't really a definitve answer

The only issue I have with ultrawides is window management. With two monitors you effectively have four halves to work with (or eight quarters, depending on how you like to arrange it). An ultrawide, at least without third party software support, still has two halves and four quarters (obviously).

But anyway, a solution to your color issues is simply to calibrate the monitors. Depending on how old or popular your models are, someone likely has a color or setting profile available to copy.

As someone who just changed his setup from a dual to a single ultrawide monitor one I personally prefer the ultrawide. I also went from 60Hz to 144Hz but especially the added fov in games is just awesome (when it's supported, which in pretty much everything I play it is). In terms of productivity, I can't really add much to the conversation but I have found the added width to be quite nice while taking lessons on Treehouse (two browser windows side by side, one for coding the other the lesson).

If its 2x 1440p vs 1440p ultrawide. I would rather have 2x 1440p displays as that is perfect for having 4 windows opened. Great for productivity... maybe ultrawide will be better for games and movies though.

If its 2x 1080p vs 1080p ultrawide or 1440p ultrawide, go with ultrawide.

Disclaimer: I have never used a Ultrawide so my opinion might be biased.

I prefer dual monitors mainly because it allows an easier time for multi-tasking (e.g. one monitor for the Word doc, and another for researching; one monitor for gaming, and another for browsing).

I feel like ultrawide does not give you this option. Especially while gaming as it occupies the whole monitor (or anyway it would look weird to have a game in Windowed mode and other stuff on the side). However, ultrawide can be a compelling option if you want that huge real-estate in a single frame, which is nice for gaming and programs that need it (e.g. architecture planning), but not for multitasking, imo.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Hardware calibrating your monitors can help them have closer color profiles