How to get the data off of an old and brokenish phone

Gonic576

My mom had a galaxy s3 and the charging port broke so we couldnt charge it. Even though she has a new phone she'd like to get the data off, any ideas?

If there's an SD card and there's stuff on it, you should start there.

Otherwise you're down to going to a legit repair shop and paying money for data recovery.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Find a way to charge the battery without using the port. Otherwise, there really isn't any other way, unless the phone has a microSD and everything is stored onto it.
Like this thing
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Battery-Included-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0089VO7QU

(or of course getting it repaired)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Gonic576 said:

My mom had a galaxy s3 and the charging port broke so we couldnt charge it. Even though she has a new phone she'd like to get the data off, any ideas?

take it to a fixit store, or open it up yourself and take a look

youtube is your friend

and small fingers is a plus

Find someone else who has the same phone, put the other phone's charged battery in the phone. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

6 minutes ago, DarkEnergy said:

Find someone else who has the same phone, put the other phone's charged battery in the phone. 

A s3 should be around 50 USD so that's not too bad

My life

33 minutes ago, Gonic576 said:

1. buy a soldering iron

2. buy a micro usb connector

3. solder it on

might take some time, but you could even desolder all of the charging port, cut off and stip the end of a micro usb cable, and then just solder those cables directly.

i like trains 🙂