Up scaling Digitized Media

After watching a few of linus videos I opted to setup a local nas using FreeNas and Plex to store digitized versions of the dvd's I already owned so I could move them from the living room and into cold storage.

I had no trouble in getting the sever and network setup but when going to watch a dvd on the 42 inch tv, I realized that the quality was unwatchable, then tested a dvd raw and came to the realization that the resolution of dvd's just does not cut it on modern larger screens.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to reliable upscale older dvd's to at least 720p but preferably 1080p, or if anyone had been in a similar situation.

Most media players and TVs should have built in filters that should allow for at least some form of upscaling. If you were using your PC to watch your video files, you could use FFDShow or AVISynth to upscale. But honestly, I have no idea if Plex allows you to upscale videos while transcoding.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

Preferably I would rather have the Source Files upscaled then work down from there.

I am considering binning the idea and the collection too, but thought I would see if anyone has overcome this in the past. Most of the content we watch at the moment is on Netflix but occasionally I do go back to watch one of the dvd's, but the last time I did was several years ago on a much smaller tv.

14 minutes ago, OrganicAI said:

Preferably I would rather have the Source Files upscaled then work down from there.

Totally possible but you'd be adding some extra steps.

You basically have two choices. Either use a video editing program like ShotCut and use the built in filters to upscale, or use AVISynth to upscale and encode using Handbrake.

Using a video editing program would be easier and faster, but AVISynth would give better results.

This thread talks about how to mount AVISynth scripts for use with video encoding tools that don't natively support AVISynth

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=162006

This thread is a good point of reference on using AVISynth to upscale videos

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168263

I personally prefer AVISynth. Once you get the hang of it, scripting and mounting with AVISynth isn't hard. The biggest problem is AVISynth is buggy with multi threaded encoding, so you'll be seriously cutting into your encode times if you can't get multi threading to work.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

Post processing an image for upscaling is always, always going to have diminishing returns.  In the end all you have is a limited set of information and you want to use a bunch of filters to try and invent NEW information.  On some kinds of images and such that can work but not so well on others.  Like how some filters can work surprisingly well on flat animation but not on detailed, textured film.  In the end the best solution is the simplest and that is to get a source with more actual information to start with, or to put that more simply; Buy the BluRay.

Its funny because ive looked to find all the different algorithms and pic the ones i want for certain things... cant find em.