2 wifi router to 1 modem

pomkon

Say i have ac68u connected to my modem, and providing wifi. If i add another ac87u connected to the same modem and install the Aimesh software, These 2 routers can work together and provide 1 wifi channel, like mesh wifi routers?

It is impractical, but can it work?

11 minutes ago, pomkon said:

Say i have ac68u connected to my modem, and providing wifi. If i add another ac87u connected to the same modem and install the Aimesh software, These 2 routers can work together and provide 1 wifi channel, like mesh wifi routers?

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC750-Wi-Fi-Extender-RE200/dp/B00NR2VMNC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1525801045&sr=8-2&keywords=tp+link+wifi+extender

this will do what you want and is much cheaper

PSU Tier Ranking List

Ryzen 5 1600x|ASROCK                      |16GB DDR4 3400Mhz Corsair Vengence   | (partial build in progress)

FX-8350 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V1 | 32GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H100i v1

FX-8120 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V2 | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H80i v1 

I5-2500K LGA  | ACER MOBO??         | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 860 PRO | Win 10 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 970 SC 4GB | Corsair H80i v1

4 minutes ago, pomkon said:

so if the 2 routers support aimesh, I can connect both to the same modem and create a mesh system. Just in theory.

Only if supported.  All I have seen says that the RT-AC87U will not support it.

9 hours ago, pomkon said:

IDK what your after but this is the wrong info to go off of.

9 hours ago, Marshnt said:

IDK what your after but this is the wrong info to go off of.

whats the right info?

I don't know why you would even bother with mesh, create the same wifi on both AC68U and the AC87U make sure they are not on the same channel and your done.
Your client will automatically switch when the signal threshold is reached, if you want it to switch faster from one accesspoint to another tune the power output of the wifi for both.

44 minutes ago, MysticalGnome said:

I don't know why you would even bother with mesh, create the same wifi on both AC68U and the AC87U make sure they are not on the same channel and your done.
Your client will automatically switch when the signal threshold is reached, if you want it to switch faster from one accesspoint to another tune the power output of the wifi for both.

i mean can you make 2 asus router, say ac68u x2, but on the same channel?

Yes you can do that but they will interfere with each other and it will degrade the overall wifi speed because multiple signals are clashing on the same channel. Mesh is only ever useful in situations where you cannot get a network cable to your access points but since you have them connected to your modem it makes no sense to use mesh based connectivity between your asus routers and your client devices.

This is like third post in a week with someone wanting to use 2 routers to serve the purpose of 2 access points. Is this an epidemic?

Also the proposed scenario is nothing like mesh.  Mesh is having the wireless access points communicate with each other via wireless to extend wireless signal to places you cant physically run cable to.

If you want multiple access points in your house, throw away this overhyped consumer crap. Buy a simple wired router edgerouter, mikrotik, pfsense, and buy ubiquiti managed access points. The routers are as cheap as $50 and each AP is $70-80 bucks. If you can hard wire it, hard wire it. If you can't use wireless repeaters (also rebranded as this hip term (mesh) who cares).

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/