NAS Running Select Games/Graphics Card Recommendation?

tsegreto

I am building a NAS with a Xeon D-1521 processor (4c/8t, 6M Cache, 2.40-2.70 GHz). Here's my part list so far:

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SDV-4C-TLN2F-O Intel Xeon D-1521 Mini ITX Server Motherboard
Lian Li PC-Q25 Case
16GB RAM MEM-DR416L-CV02-ER24
CORSAIR RMi Series RM650i 650W 80 PLUS GOLD
Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM, 140mm PWM,AAO Frame Technology and SSO2 Bearing Fan
Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM Fan with Focused Flow™ and SSO2 Bearing
Supermicro Heat Sink with retention back plane (SNK-C0057A4L)

As you can see I am putting a decent amount of cooling in there, I will be replacing the stock passive heatsink with one with a fan. I have never really been a big gamer, however I like to occasionally play these titles when I get nostalgic:

Starcraft I (1998)

Hitman: Codename 47 (2000)

American McGee's Alice (2000)

Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption (2000)

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (2002)

Warcraft III (2002)
Hitman: Contracts (2004)
Hitman: Blood Money (2006)

Alice: Madness Returns (2011)
Hitman: Absolution (2012)

I am fairly certain I will be able to easily run those titles, however I also would like to try Hitman (2016). Would I be able to run Hitman 2016 if I got a proper graphics card? Is there anyway I would be able to run it at 1080p on high settings? I never plaid this title, but I would like to try it out and have a good experience. What graphics card is recommended (if possible)? It has to be compact to fit in the Lian Li PC-Q25 Case. This will be my first build since 2008.

You should be able to play at high settings with your hardware, I would get GTX1060 6GB to reliably play on high settings over 60fps.

1 minute ago, whoisit1118 said:

You should be able to play at high settings with your hardware, I would get GTX1060 6GB to reliably play on high settings over 60fps.

Gotcha, thank you.

I see the minimum processor requirement for Hitman is a i5-2500K, which has 1000MHz increased clock speed over the D-1521 but no HyperThreading. The D-1521 has a higher passmark than i5-2500k as well (6473 vs 6980) but I don't know how well that reflects in gaming. I guess we will see how well Hitman 2016 scales across cores.

Just now, tsegreto said:

Gotcha, thank you.

I see the minimum processor requirement for Hitman is a i5-2500K, which has 1000MHz increased clock speed over the D-1521 but no HyperThreading. The D-1521 has a higher passmark than i5-2500k as well (6473 vs 6980) but I don't know how well that reflects in gaming. I guess we will see how well Hitman 2016 scales across cores.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73652-nvidia-gtx-1050-ti-gtx-1050-review-6.html

This made me think that it was more GPU bounded than CPU bounded, so you should be fine.

17 minutes ago, whoisit1118 said:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73652-nvidia-gtx-1050-ti-gtx-1050-review-6.html

This made me think that it was more GPU bounded than CPU bounded, so you should be fine.

Honestly, I would be happy if I could play on high/max settings with over 30fps reliably. Are you sure I should spring for the GTX1060 6GB? I don't want to put something too powerful in when my CPU would most likely be the bottle neck.

On side note, getting proper cooler might not be that easy. There aren't any major aftermarket coolers that would fit socket just like that. You are going to need to measure and find close fit and then go ghetto with it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

On side note, getting proper cooler might not be that easy. There aren't any major aftermarket coolers that would fit socket just like that. You are going to need to measure and find close fit and then go ghetto with it.

I appreciate your concern, however the replacement cooler is made by Supermicro, part number SNK-C0057A4L. Just figured I would put it here incase anyone was reading. I am a little concerned about clearance with the Lian Li PC-Q25 Case though.