1 Titan V VS. 2 Titan XP's VS. 2 1080ti's

AngryBadAss
10 hours ago, AntiTrust said:

OP posted his new 18 thousand dollar build in another thread,

I give the odds of this being a serious post a 6 titan sli out of 2 lambos in the garage.. lol

This is serious, Im building a separate building as a sanctuary for me with about 10 6k$ rigs and my 18k$ rig in it as well

Titan V's don't SLI but games can theoretically still use more than one of them via mGPU. In practice Civ 6 is the only one I have seen so far that actually does it.

If your just gaming without a budget then you can't go past a single Titan V right now for all round performance whether or not a game supports SLI (and how well). It will still be current when the next gen of nVidia consumer cards are released but the retrospective price differential at that time might make you wince.

Only consider multiple Titan V if you have a compute addiction like BOINC happening.

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~

- Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core

- Corsair H115i 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X470-F ROG Strix  MB

- 2x MSI Vega 64 Wave Liquid Cooled

- G.Skill Sniper X 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD

- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

- Corsair AX1200i 80+ Platinum

- Fractal Design Define R5

- 5x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

22 hours ago, AntiTrust said:

its not quite 6. but here ya go

Those are not TITAN Xp's

22 hours ago, TwoKillaBytes said:

few FPS improvement.

It's more than a few, the TITAN V is the same as a 1080 Ti in 2way SLI when scaling works really great, so it's a compelling purchase if you feel like actually SLI'ing the 1080 Ti or in this case the Xp (which makes even less sense, actually between the V the Xp and the 1080 Ti the worse value actually is the Xp).

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

38 minutes ago, zzrhardy said:

Titan V's don't SLI but games can theoretically still use more than one of them via mGPU. In practice Civ 6 is the only one I have seen so far that actually does it.

If your just gaming without a budget then you can't go past a single Titan V right now for all round performance whether or not a game supports SLI (and how well). It will still be current when the next gen of nVidia consumer cards are released but the retrospective price differential at that time might make you wince.

Only consider multiple Titan V if you have a compute addiction like BOINC happening.

Thank you, someone finally makes sense, ?

SLI 1080Ti is the best option of those. Titan XP is barely faster than a 1080Ti and double the cost. Titan V is at best 50% faster than a 1080Ti at triple the cost. SLI is known to scale by around 50% on average, or 70% if you ignore non scaling games. Some games see scaling above 80%.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

18 hours ago, AngryBadAss said:

Having a hard time deciding on my upcoming rig meant for killing games

None of those. Get SLI 1180s if you really want a tonne of power. If you spend over $1500 on gpus today only to have them be outshined within the next 4 months you'll feel really shitty. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

It’s a waste of money to buy the best out there when the card is about to be outdated. For the same price a couple months from now you’d have much more performance.

Id buy a 1050ti lp and use it until the new cards come out then put it into htpc service in a sff pc.

5 hours ago, Pip313 said:

It’s a waste of money to buy the best out there when the card is about to be outdated. For the same price a couple months from now you’d have much more performance.

Id buy a 1050ti lp and use it until the new cards come out then put it into htpc service in a sff pc.

5 hours ago, Zeitec said:

None of those. Get SLI 1180s if you really want a tonne of power. If you spend over $1500 on gpus today only to have them be outshined within the next 4 months you'll feel really shitty. 

6 hours ago, Frankenburger said:

SLI 1080Ti is the best option of those. Titan XP is barely faster than a 1080Ti and double the cost. Titan V is at best 50% faster than a 1080Ti at triple the cost. SLI is known to scale by around 50% on average, or 70% if you ignore non scaling games. Some games see scaling above 80%.

Should I wait for the 1180ti?

4 minutes ago, AngryBadAss said:

1180ti will likely be a year and a half out so I wouldn't wait for that, like I said I'd wait 3-6 months for the 1180 if you're wanting to spend over $1000 on video cards. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

36 minutes ago, Zeitec said:

1180ti will likely be a year and a half out so I wouldn't wait for that, like I said I'd wait 3-6 months for the 1180 if you're wanting to spend over $1000 on video cards. 

If history means anything, the 1180 will not be tons better than 1080Ti or Titan Xp. Example, normal 1080 vs 980 Ti, the 1080 is about 10 to 15% more powerful but the main advantage was power efficiency (performance per watt). 

If you're willing to wait 6 months or more, just keep waiting until the 1180 Ti since that will be a huge step up from Pascal cards. 

This doesn't address the 20 to 30% lead that Titan V / Quadro GV100 have over 1080Ti and Titan Xp and if the OP is as loaded as he claims he could just buy a pair of Quadro Volta cards with NVLink bridges to get the absolute best available performance currently accessible. 

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

From what I know the Titan V doesn't support SLI and even if it did SLI is glitchi and a lot of games won't see a difference,actually some might give stutter.But undenialbly a lot of games will see an improvement(20-30%ish mostly).So I can see money isn't an issue so although the Titan V is not meant for gaming it is the most powerfull GPU on the market and while the Xp might be the same for less money and better optimised for games,in your case,Titan V is probably the best when it comes to pure performance

MSI RX 570 8GB | i7 3370 @3.4/3.8  |  MS Spectrum  |  120GB OCZ VERT3X SSD  | Seagate 1TB SSHD |

I have said that on one other occasion, I will say it again.

I think I remember you mentioning that you will get the funds for the rig around November - so let's start with that.

You either buy everything at once or you buy it in phases. 

If you buy at once, leave this be and don't bother yourself with 'ifs' and 'whats'. Revisit the issue around the time you have the money and we will start from there. Around that time the new generation of GPU's might be around the corner. It might even be already on the market. We will see tests and compare them to current gen GPU's and then you will be able to make informed decision. 

If you buy in installments, start with things that are more or less inconsequential to a few months time passage. Buy a case. Buy a PSU. Buy mobo, RAM and CPU - if you buy an 18-core now it doesn't matter if something new will be around the corner because that beast will serve you well for years. Make the GPU your last priority.

My advice is that you will not benefit from any advice telling you what to buy now if you are not buying now.

If you are buying now:

1. Get a Titan V if you are not prepared for the hassle of doing some work with SLI profiles. This will benefit you mostly in games that don't scale well with SLI.

2. Get 2x Titan Xp if you want looks and consider watercooling - if you release them from their thermal shackles, they will serve you well and better than 1080ti's. There are some games that scale amazingly with SLI but there are some that don't. Up to you but keep in mind that at worst you are left with a single most powerful Pascal GPU. This is not nothing, if money isn't the issue.

3. Get 2x 1080ti's if you don't consider watercooling. Ideally you will want a case with excellent airflow for them, I'd recommend something with fans in the front and on the bottom that will feed them fresh air. The new Lian Li case by der8auer (yes, the watercooling one) is a good choice since it has place for 9 fans, 3 of them from the bottom. Otherwise if you are not going to use blower style cards, you will choke and thermal throttle the upper one.

There you go man, do with that what you want :)

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

8 hours ago, AngryBadAss said:

I guess that depends on your current situation.

Can your current setup do what you want it to do? Or do you feel like you need to upgrade?

If you're happy with what you got, then wait. If you  need to upgrade, then upgrade.

The last couple of generations has shown previous gen 80Ti cards being on par with succeeding 70 class cards, while succeeding 80Ti cards are about 30% faster than succeeding 70 class cards.

For example, a GTX 780Ti is about as fast as a GTX 970, a 980Ti is 30% faster than a 970. A GTX 980Ti is about as fast as a GTX 1070, while the 1080Ti is about 30% faster than a 1070.

IF the trend follows into the 1100 series cards, then the 1180Ti should be pretty beastly, but a SLI pair of 1080Ti's will obviously be faster in most SLI supported games. The real question is do you play enough games with SLI support (either official or unofficial support) to warrant SLI? Also, do you play at resolutions that benefits SLI? Or would you rather not worry about SLI compatibility and just stick with what's guaranteed to work?

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

On 5/7/2018 at 11:45 PM, TwoKillaBytes said:

Only game that I can see benefited from SLI was GTA V. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands, PUBG, Rising Storm Vietnam, CSGO, Forza Horizon 3, Tom Clancy's The Divison, Call of duty WWII, Battlefield 1 got me worse FPS/Stutters with SLI enabled.

how on earth did u manage to get pubg to work on SLI, u cant even select sli rendering mode for pubg in the control pannel

7 minutes ago, bigman420 said:

how on earth did u manage to get pubg to work on SLI, u cant even select sli rendering mode for pubg in the control pannel

Funny thing is SLI is officially supported in PUBG with 388.59. It still works in newer drivers, but is finicky (which I suspect has something to do with how Nvidia "optimized" PUBG in newer drivers). All you need to do is add in the older official bits of 0x080000F1 and enable AFR. Also, don't forget to switch to FXAA instead of TAA, otherwise you'll get negative scaling.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

9 hours ago, AngryBadAss said:

Definitely if you have the patience. Expect a "1180ti" to have the same cuda power as a Titan V without any of the tensor cores that will never be touched in gaming. I don't see why nVidia would release a weaker 1180ti than it has shown it can already make in the Titan V, unless they plan on further market segmentation with future gaming focused Titans (and I wouldn't put a gaming Titan vs AI Titan marketing mess past them). Especially seeing as 4K monitors need so much more GPU horsepower, a castrated 1180ti makes no sense.

Titan V is the best you can get right now, especially if you have a large library of games many of which won't use SLI. Sinking money into dual 1080ti/Titan XPs for only 3 to 4 months gaming seems a waste for any buyer, loaded or not. At least a Titan V will still be good moving forward, BUT, like I said you will wince at having paid 3K for a Titan V when next gen is likely to give you the same performance at less than half the cost in a few months.

Be wary of advice of "SLI 1180". Many are forgetting that SLI/Crossfire is being depreciated in favour of mGPU. We don't know yet that SLI will even exist in next gen, yet we do know the entire burden of mGPU implementation is on the game developers, so it is expected to have less utilisation than SLI/Crossfire has had. We have to wait and see.

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~

- Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core

- Corsair H115i 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X470-F ROG Strix  MB

- 2x MSI Vega 64 Wave Liquid Cooled

- G.Skill Sniper X 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD

- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

- Corsair AX1200i 80+ Platinum

- Fractal Design Define R5

- 5x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

14 minutes ago, zzrhardy said:

Many are forgetting that SLI/Crossfire is being depreciated in favour of mGPU. We don't know yet that SLI will even exist in next gen

It's highly unlikely SLI will die anytime soon. Plenty of games still launch with SLI support. Destiny 2, Shadow of War, and Far Cry 5 all launched with SLI support on day one. Also, statistically speaking, about 3 out of every 4 games work with SLI, not counting unofficial fixes. Then there's the fact that there's still plenty of older games that still benefit from a SLI system, and with 8k displays and 144Hz 4k displays on the horizon, the extra GPU horsepower that SLI offers is necessary to drive them.

If Nvidia ditches SLI with Volta, they will probably replace it with something else in an attempt to renew interest in multi GPU systems. SLI is still pretty common on the enthusiast market, and I doubt Nvidia would willingly cut potential sales.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

58 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

It's highly unlikely SLI will die anytime soon. Plenty of games still launch with SLI support. Destiny 2, Shadow of War, and Far Cry 5 all launched with SLI support on day one. Also, statistically speaking, about 3 out of every 4 games work with SLI, not counting unofficial fixes. Then there's the fact that there's still plenty of older games that still benefit from a SLI system, and with 8k displays and 144Hz 4k displays on the horizon, the extra GPU horsepower that SLI offers is necessary to drive them.

If Nvidia ditches SLI with Volta, they will probably replace it with something else in an attempt to renew interest in multi GPU systems. SLI is still pretty common on the enthusiast market, and I doubt Nvidia would willingly cut potential sales.

No where close to 3 out of 4. You also have to look at in the games supported, what kind of performance gain do you get and at what cost?

Then there are the games where you lose performance with SLI over a single card.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

23 minutes ago, App4that said:

No where close to 3 out of 4

That is incorrect, my good friend.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_SLI/

11 out of 16 games scale with SLI. At 4k - 52% scaling with non scaling games, 71% scaling without non-scaling games

https://babeltechreviews.com/the-50-game-gtx-1070-ti-sli-review/3/

40 out of 50 games scale with SLI. At 4k - 54.33% scaling with non scaling games. 67.91% scaling without non-scaling games.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

That is incorrect, my good friend.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_SLI/

11 out of 16 games scale with SLI. At 4k - 52% scaling with non scaling games, 71% scaling without non-scaling games

https://babeltechreviews.com/the-50-game-gtx-1070-ti-sli-review/3/

40 out of 50 games scale with SLI. At 4k - 54.33% scaling with non scaling games. 67.91% scaling without non-scaling games.

Hold on, I'll forget running 2 980ti in SLI for a year. 

Shit, didn't work.

Play War Thunder with SLI, it's fun. Trust me. 

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Hold on, I'll forget running 2 980ti in SLI for a year. 

SLI since 2014 here

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Play War Thunder with SLI, it's fun. Trust me. 

I know War Thunder doesn't play nice with SLI. Par for the course.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

1 minute ago, Frankenburger said:

SLI since 2014 here

I know War Thunder doesn't play nice with SLI. Par for the course.

The issue is the trade off. I got great performance in GTA V, but had to do a restart when moving to a game that didn't play well with SLI. *IF* SLI just didn't work in game that didn't support SLI I could see why some would go with SLI. But SLI can ruin your experience in a game. 

Then you have the power requirments, heat, yada, yada. SLI looks cool af. Just not worth it. 

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

but had to do a restart when moving to a game that didn't play well with SLI

That tells me something else was wrong with your system. I've run CFX from 2008 to 2012 (dual HD4870, and later a HD5970) on a Q9450, and SLI since 2014 (SLI 980, SLI 1080, SLI 1080Ti) across 3 systems (i5 2500K, i7 5820K, i7 6850K), and I have never had an issue like that.

Just because SLI exposes an issue, doesn't mean it's SLI's fault.

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

Just not worth it. 

Depends on your needs and goals. It might not be worth it to you, but that doesn't mean it's not worth it to other people.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

1 minute ago, Frankenburger said:

That tells me something else was wrong with your system. I've run CFX from 2008 to 2012 (dual HD4870, and later a HD5970) on a Q9450, and SLI since 2014 (SLI 980, SLI 1080, SLI 1080Ti) across 3 systems (i5 2500K, i7 5820K, i7 6850K), and I have never had an issue like that.

Just because SLI exposes an issue, doesn't mean it's SLI's fault.

Now this takes me back. 

I ran Crossfire too, worse. Blaming the user is why SLI isn't being fixed, why worry about it if it's the customers fault? Now imagine you have 80k in a computer science education and 1300 bucks in graphics cards to be told it's your fault? Now imagine you worked for the developer and they tell you flat out SLI is an issue.

I'd imagine you'd be hella fustrated. 

No one, and I mean no one advises SLI or Crossfire. From Linus to Kyle they tell you to go with the stronger single card, for a good reason. That reason isn't they don't know what they're doing...

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

Blaming the user is why SLI isn't being fixed, why worry about it if it's the customers fault?

Let me be clear - I'm not blaming you. I'm just simply stating a fact. The need to reboot when switching games is extremely abnormal for a SLI system.

I'd imagine you'd be hella fustrated. 

I'm not denying your levels of frustration. However, frustration can be blinding. Trust me, I've been there.

No one, and I mean no one advises SLI or Crossfire. From Linus to Kyle they tell you to go with the stronger single card,

That's because most of the time, when someone asks for SLI advice, the question is something similar to "SLI 1070 or 1080Ti?". Duh, go with the 1080Ti. That's a no brainer. But what if you want more power than what a 1080Ti can offer? The only answer is SLI unless something better is right around the corner and you can afford to wait.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler