RAID 1 recovery?

Go to solution Solved by seagate_surfer,

Another one to try, and just keep in mind as a heads up that it's 3rd party so it didn't come from us, would be UFS Explorer RAID Recovery.

1 minute ago, AllThoughts 3rased said:

No, not yet as the only PC I have that will connect to it refuses to install Ubuntu, having a kernel panic during installation.

You don't need to install anything.

Download and create a Live USB - the OS will run entirely off the USB.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu#0

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

16 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You don't need to install anything.

Download and create a Live USB - the OS will run entirely off the USB.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu#0

I've tried booting into Linux in multiple ways and usually ends up with either a panic or a black screen hang. The error is usually related to PCIe from what I can tell. If I get my hands on a HDD caddy (which I think I know someone who has one), I'll try getting them off the drive on my laptop using Linux. But in case I can't do that, will I be able to somehow mount the drive inside of a VM?

2 hours ago, AllThoughts 3rased said:

I've tried booting into Linux in multiple ways and usually ends up with either a panic or a black screen hang. The error is usually related to PCIe from what I can tell. If I get my hands on a HDD caddy (which I think I know someone who has one), I'll try getting them off the drive on my laptop using Linux. But in case I can't do that, will I be able to somehow mount the drive inside of a VM?

You should be able to pass the HDD to the VM, but it would depend on the particular Hypervisor being used.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

21 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You should be able to pass the HDD to the VM, but it would depend on the particular Hypervisor being used.

I've gotten hold of a caddy, and I'm dual booting Ubuntu on my laptop. It can read the drive, but I can't go into anything but the firmware folder as I'm "not the owner". Is there any way to brute force this to let me into the rest of the drive?

2 minutes ago, AllThoughts 3rased said:

I've gotten hold of a caddy, and I'm dual booting Ubuntu on my laptop. It can read the drive, but I can't go into anything but the firmware folder as I'm not the owner. Is there any way to brute force this to let me into the rest of the drive?

I don't know how to do it on Linux, but you likely need to "take ownership" of the files/folders. It's easy enough to do on Windows, but that's not an option to you since the drive won't be visible by Windows.

Try this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/6723/change-folder-permissions-and-ownership

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't know how to do it on Linux, but you likely need to "take ownership" of the files/folders. It's easy enough to do on Windows, but that's not an option to you since the drive won't be visible by Windows.

Try this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/6723/change-folder-permissions-and-ownership

Taking ownership hasn't worked it seems from the properties menu that it can only access 1GB of the drive which appears to be the firmware folder. It's using ext3/ext4 as it's filesystem.

2 minutes ago, AllThoughts 3rased said:

Taking ownership hasn't worked it seems from the properties menu that it can only access 1GB of the drive which appears to be the firmware folder. It's using ext3/ext4 as it's filesystem.

At this point, I would contact support, and tell them you've got the drive hooked up to a Linux computer and you can see the firmware folder, and ask them for more assistance. They might be able to do a remote session onto the computer and recover the files.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

At this point, I would contact support, and tell them you've got the drive hooked up to a Linux computer and you can see the firmware folder, and ask them for more assistance. They might be able to do a remote session onto the computer and recover the files.

I'll probably do that if @seagate_surfer's suggestion doesn't work. It's the only thing I haven't tried