Streamer Monitor Setup

Vek1313

Not sure if this should be in a different section but this was my best guess as to where it should go.

I’m a streamer and just bought my components. I still need to order the monitor(s). I was going to go with a 27’ 1440p IPS 60hz display and a 1080p 23’ IPS display. I don’t have the biggest desk so I’d have to mount them, as well as for college in a few months. I wanted a second display for my OBS and some other things like Chrome to have open. I am looking for some suggestions. Should I narrow my options by having to mount it (only so many fit this category of the mount.) Or when I get my laptop for college, can and should I use that as a secondary display to have OBS opened up on it? I don’t want to have to pay for Synergy or anything, so would I be able to use the laptop as a secondary monitor when I am streaming or do I have to go with 2 monitors and a mount?

I would suggest getting your main gaming monitor as a 1440P 144Hz display, because 60Hz while streaming is fine, but it will make your experience much better.

Have one 27' in the middle, and two identical 24' on either side, just plain 1080p panels for OBS, stream chat and whatever else.

I can look around for that monitor setup online.

hi.

16 minutes ago, UnleashedPride said:

You can't use your laptop as an extended display, at least not very easily.

If you want a single display just a use an ultra wide, or get a 4k display and run games in a 1440p window with OBS on the side. a 32" 4k display would be perfect for that.

Or just run 2 22/24" 1080p displays.

5aee492b147ed_4KDesktop1.thumb.jpg.5b4938f75f67ac9771bfc5b4662da517.jpg

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, tj_420 said:

I would suggest getting your main gaming monitor as a 1440P 144Hz display, because 60Hz while streaming is fine, but it will make your experience much better.

Have one 27' in the middle, and two identical 24' on either side, just plain 1080p panels for OBS, stream chat and whatever else.

I can look around for that monitor setup online.

That would get way too pricey. I don’t have a real set budget but the 2 I am looking at would total $475. Three monitors would be way too long for my desk. 

I found two 27" IPS monitors, 1080p from LG for $290US for both.

Would that be an option?

hi.

1 minute ago, tj_420 said:

Would that be an option?

Kind of silly to use a GTX 1080 on a 1080p 60hz display

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, UnleashedPride said:

That would get way too pricey. I don’t have a real set budget but the 2 I am looking at would total $475. Three monitors would be way too long for my desk. 

As an alt you can just buy 2 of these 1080p 144hz VA/IPS type panels, $199 each, dunno if they have VESA mounts. Or one plus normal 1080p 60hz IPS display I guess.

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, tj_420 said:

Would that be an option?

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

As an alt you can just buy 2 of these 1080p 144hz VA/IPS type panels, $199 each, dunno if they have VESA mounts. Or one plus normal 1080p 60hz IPS display I guess.

I want to have one 27” 1440p as my main and also a monitor to have my XB1 on when I am at college. I MIGHT not need a mount for my desk at home, it’d just end up some wonky setup but I don’t think the desks in the dorms at my university will be long enough without a mount. I might just take one monitor there and use my laptop pulling up my stream for chat. Not sure, just so many options and I don’t like that I wouldn’t be able to have OBS and my chat just opened easy to use on a different monitor while I am there. Thanks for the help, if you have anymore suggestions/insight at this please let me know.

2 minutes ago, UnleashedPride said:

You should really just buy a 4k display and make your life easy due to the increased screen space.

It'll work fine for your Xbone

Spoiler