How to increase Wi-Fi range?

TTW

I want to start by saying I am not tech savvy at all. I have a shed that I do some work in, and usually use my phone to play music. I'd like to be able to connect to WiFi instead of using up my data plan when doing so, but the shed is 100-150 feet from the modem/router. What are my option besides paying for a separate line just for the shed? Ideally its not too expensive, and simple enough that an idiot like me could set it up. 

Run an ethernet wire to the shed/the closest corner of your house and buy a second router.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Rather than running a new line from your ISP, you could run an Ethernet cable to the shed so you can then connect a small access point for WiFi in the shed. That's the best solution in terms of reliability and can be fairly inexpensive, depending on options for how to run the cable (if it's gravel between the house and shed, running the wire is super easy).

Other than that, running a cable from the modem to a point as close as you can to the shed, then installing an access point is a good way. I installed an outdoor AP on the corner of our garage to cover the garden (I say garden, but it's more like a field) and that covers all of it and more (about 220m range with direct line of sight).

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Run an ethernet wire to the shed/the closest corner of your house and buy a second router.

Well, buy an access point, rather than a second router. Less hassle to set up and either cheaper (don't need much to cover a shed for WiFi) or will get more for the money. 

Use a long ethernet cable and second access point?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Well, buy an access point, rather than a second router. Less hassle to set up and either cheaper (don't need much to cover a shed for WiFi) or will get more for the money. 

Most routers are cheaper than access points since an access point is USUALLY higher end. And setting up a router as an access point is as simple as toggling a radio button. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Most routers are cheaper than access points since an access point is USUALLY higher end. And setting up a router as an access point is as simple as toggling a radio button. 

I'd disagree there. Generally a £15 AP is likely going to be better than a £15 router in terms of WiFi capabilities (there's a wide range of price for APs, they're only more expensive if you go for an expensive one). With two routers, you can run into issues with DHCP without changing settings. If you have a spare router lying around, might as well use it, but no point in buying another router just for the access point part of it.

16 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Rather than running a new line from your ISP, you could run an Ethernet cable to the shed so you can then connect a small access point for WiFi in the shed. That's the best solution in terms of reliability and can be fairly inexpensive, depending on options for how to run the cable (if it's gravel between the house and shed, running the wire is super easy).

Other than that, running a cable from the modem to a point as close as you can to the shed, then installing an access point is a good way. I installed an outdoor AP on the corner of our garage to cover the garden (I say garden, but it's more like a field) and that covers all of it and more (about 220m range with direct line of sight).

Im not sure about running a line, its mostly dirt between the shed and the house, and I'd have to hang it, because our dogs will dig it up if i bury it. And on the topic of adding another router, I may be wrong, but i read online last night that it could be considered theft of service to set up another router/modem on the same line. Is this false? If I do the access point what would you recommend for it? I can definitely set it up on the corner of my house closest to the shed. Like I said in my post I have no idea really what I'm doing. 

1 minute ago, TTW said:

Im not sure about running a line, its mostly dirt between the shed and the house, and I'd have to hang it, because our dogs will dig it up if i bury it. And on the topic of adding a nother router, I may be wrong, but i read online last night that it could be comsidered thedt of servoce to set up another router/modem on the same line. Is this false? If I do the access point what would you recommend for it? I can definitely set it up on the corner of my house closest to the shed. Like I said in my post I have no idea really what I'm doing. 

Theft of service is if you go to your neighbours house and break their demarc line and run it into your house. You’re still in your house and you’re providing access to service you pay for around your house.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

1 minute ago, TTW said:

Im not sure about running a line, its mostly dirt between the shed and the house, and I'd have to hang it, because our dogs will dig it up if i bury it. And on the topic of adding a nother router, I may be wrong, but i read online last night that it could be comsidered thedt of servoce to set up another router/modem on the same line. Is this false? If I do the access point what would you recommend for it? I can definitely set it up on the corner of my house closest to the shed. Like I said in my post I have no idea really what I'm doing. 

Not theft at all. You can expand your local network as much as you want, everything is still going over the same connection to the ISP when you go on the internet. 

You'd have no need for another modem (or at least, it's very unlikely that you'd need one) on a local network.

Depends how much you want to spend in the end. I'd personally recommend Ubiquiti's Outdoor AP+. It's the one I use to cover the field with WiFi. It's been through -5C snowing and heavy rain with no issues. 

12 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Not theft at all. You can expand your local network as much as you want, everything is still going over the same connection to the ISP when you go on the internet. 

You'd have no need for another modem (or at least, it's very unlikely that you'd need one) on a local network.

Depends how much you want to spend in the end. I'd personally recommend Ubiquiti's Outdoor AP+. It's the one I use to cover the field with WiFi. It's been through -5C snowing and heavy rain with no issues. 

Good to know it's not theft lol so searching for 'Ubiquiti Outdoor AP+' yields results for a bunch of different models but none with that name, could you possibly provide a link? I see that I'll be spending at $100+ regardless, but is there a cheaper alternative? If not I'll gladly pay whatever, but i'd like to save money if I can get away with it. And thank you, you have been extremely helpful.

9 minutes ago, TTW said:

Good to know it's not theft lol so searching for 'Ubiquiti Outdoor AP+' yields results for a bunch of different models but none with that name, could you possibly provide a link? I see that I'll be spending at $100+ regardless, but is there a cheaper alternative? If not I'll gladly pay whatever, but i'd like to save money if I can get away with it. And thank you, you have been extremely helpful.

Well, the cheapest option would be to dig a trench a few inches down (would your dog really dig up a 3-6" deep trench?) and buy any $20-$30 router/access point. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Well, the cheapest option would be to dig a trench a few inches down (would your dog really dig up a 3-6" deep trench?) and buy any $20-$30 router/access point. 

4 dogs, and yes they will. Once one starts they'll all join in. 

11 minutes ago, TTW said:

4 dogs, and yes they will. Once one starts they'll all join in. 

But you have to have wires buried somewhere in your yard.....

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

But you have to have wires buried somewhere in your yard.....

Yes, and they weren't around when they were buried. Dogs like digging in freshly turned dirt, once I start digging they start digging in the same spots. I'm not here to argue whether or not the dogs will dig up the wire, I'm looking for a solution to fit my needs. If I absolutely need too, I'll bury a wire. I'd just rather not because its too easy for an animal to get to. I appreciate your responses regardless.