Barrow DDC Pumps?

Anyone have experience with Barrow DDC Pumps? I have yet to find anyone talking about it, but they go for a fraction of EK's price (also factoring in where I live, EK's products becomes very unreasonably priced as I also have to pay USD$50-60 import tax per item).

I have seen an Amazon review stating that it's not authentic Laing pumps as Barrow's only uses 18W instead of 23W. Is this true?

Also, what are the internals made of? Will it conflict with my Copper/Nickel loop?

Finally, how does it perform comparing to EK's? All I see in Amazon reviews are 2 extreme sides of the story: one side says they are top quality and runs very quietly, the other side says its literally shit???

Please help if you have experience with these pumps. Thx!

24 minutes ago, WillBlake said:

Anyone have experience with Barrow DDC Pumps? I have yet to find anyone talking about it, but they go for a fraction of EK's price (also factoring in where I live, EK's products becomes very unreasonably priced as I also have to pay USD$50-60 import tax per item).

I have seen an Amazon review stating that it's not authentic Laing pumps as Barrow's only uses 18W instead of 23W. Is this true?

Also, what are the internals made of? Will it conflict with my Copper/Nickel loop?

Finally, how does it perform comparing to EK's? All I see in Amazon reviews are 2 extreme sides of the story: one side says they are top quality and runs very quietly, the other side says its literally shit???

Please help if you have experience with these pumps. Thx!

Link to the unit? If it’s a legitimate DDC unit it won’t have any compatibility issues with your loop as long as the pump top is plastic (acrylic, acetal) or copper based. 

The DDC in general is not as quite as a D5 pump and should have a heatsink for cooling. Just note the D5 units from barrow are their remake of the D5 and not the same as a D5 unit from Laing.

Barrow pumps are (mostly, AFAIK) replicas of Laing designs and are designed to fit with parts made for Laing pumps (pump tops, covers, reservoirs etc.). I don't know enough about them to say much about their quality though and it's pretty difficult to get an idea of how good they are without a large sample. Same for performance. 

The internals shouldn't be an issue with the loop, whether it's copper/nickel based or aluminium. 

Honestly, I would go with a genuine Laing pump. Watercooling in general isn't cheap, but the extra price is worth the assurance that it's made to standard. Not worth going with an unproven brand that likely doesn't have the same level of quality assurance. 

I used one in a cheap loop I put together like 3 months ago. The flow rate and head pressure seem to be on par with what they advertise and pretty close to an authentic DDC. The downside is they are only an imitation, but a decent one from my experience.

The biggest downside is it took about 3 weeks for it to ship to me.

22 minutes ago, W-L said:

Link to the unit? If it’s a legitimate DDC unit it won’t have any compatibility issues with your loop as long as the pump top is plastic (acrylic, acetal) or copper based. 

The DDC in general is not as quite as a D5 pump and should have a heatsink for cooling. Just note the D5 units from barrow are their remake of the D5 and not the same as a D5 unit from Laing.

https://www.amazon.com/Barrow-SPG40A-D5-PWM-Pump/dp/B01M6Y5SDP

https://www.amazon.com/Barrow-SPG40A-D5-PWM-Pump/product-reviews/B01M6Y5SDP

This is the one with review.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a312a.7700824.w4002-17563287239.28.5ef078a51gn3qE&id=545922306105

This is the unit I'm looking to get if possible.

25 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Barrow pumps are (mostly, AFAIK) replicas of Laing designs and are designed to fit with parts made for Laing pumps (pump tops, covers, reservoirs etc.). I don't know enough about them to say much about their quality though and it's pretty difficult to get an idea of how good they are without a large sample. Same for performance. 

The internals shouldn't be an issue with the loop, whether it's copper/nickel based or aluminium. 

Honestly, I would go with a genuine Laing pump. Watercooling in general isn't cheap, but the extra price is worth the assurance that it's made to standard. Not worth going with an unproven brand that likely doesn't have the same level of quality assurance. 

I mean, they did make it into CES so that's sayin something.

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I used one in a cheap loop I put together like 3 months ago. The flow rate and head pressure seem to be on par with what they advertise and pretty close to an authentic DDC. The downside is they are only an imitation, but a decent one from my experience.

The biggest downside is it took about 3 weeks for it to ship to me.

Any leaks or breaks so far? How would you rate it compared to EK's on a scale of 1-10?

Shipping time shouldn't be a problem for me as I live pretty much next to their address lol

I personally haven't had any issues with anything breaking on it. I just put it one of the many workstation machines I have grabbed up as they retire. Think it is cooling a 4570 with a 780ti tossed in a new case. I mean it isn't anything special, just a cheap Supremacy block I grabbed from microcenter and a older card that was retired from system to system as I replaced with better components. 

If I remember correctly they also have a D5 knock off, which I will probably try out on my next workstation build. I just have too many machines tbh. I have my primary gaming machines, then the ones that are from hand me down parts or workstations that have been retired that I just took home and re-purposed. I tend to have in-laws and nephews that come over and play with my kids... and since the 2 of them literally live within 2 blocks of us... it is pretty often. So I just tend to keep enough machines in my lab/man cave for them all to play on. So I have been trying to get more creative with my builds as of late instead of just always ordering either a swiftech D5 or DDC. I have also been known to use some of the EK offerings, but only if they have a good deal going at microcenter.

2 hours ago, WillBlake said:

Yeah that’s their version of the D5 don’t bother with it as it’s not one actually made by Laing. The DDC is hard to say as there isn’t much detailed info. 

2 hours ago, WillBlake said:

Any leaks or breaks so far? How would you rate it compared to EK's on a scale of 1-10?

Shipping time shouldn't be a problem for me as I live pretty much next to their address lol

http://www.barrow.com.cn/index.php/article/pump.html

http://www.barrowint.com/index.php/article/pump.html

I have not had any personal experience with these pumps, but they all seem to be off-brand mimics. It is noticeable that on the pump product page of Barrow there is no mention of D5 or DDC (since they are most probably, not D5 or DDCs). However you can see on the pump accessories page that D5/DDC are plastered over them (since the accessories are compatible with D5s and DDCs).

The only exception seems to be the "lowara D5/DDC" which seems to be a genuine product from Xylem. And is priced as you would expect: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.4.179b74a48GmXo7&id=537118492288&ns=1&abbucket=16#detail

It is also noticeable to me that the "D5-like" only 1 year warranty, whereas EK for example offer 2 years. A genuine D5 is rated for 50,000 MTBF so in reality last for about 5 years if treated well.

19 hours ago, W-L said:

Yeah that’s their version of the D5 don’t bother with it as it’s not one actually made by Laing. The DDC is hard to say as there isn’t much detailed info. 

By that do you mean I should steer clear from it? I'm looking at the DDC. I've compared their provided data with EK's and they are pretty much the same. And as another poster here said The one he bought held true.

18 hours ago, For Science! said:

http://www.barrow.com.cn/index.php/article/pump.html

http://www.barrowint.com/index.php/article/pump.html

I have not had any personal experience with these pumps, but they all seem to be off-brand mimics. It is noticeable that on the pump product page of Barrow there is no mention of D5 or DDC (since they are most probably, not D5 or DDCs). However you can see on the pump accessories page that D5/DDC are plastered over them (since the accessories are compatible with D5s and DDCs).

The only exception seems to be the "lowara D5/DDC" which seems to be a genuine product from Xylem. And is priced as you would expect: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.4.179b74a48GmXo7&id=537118492288&ns=1&abbucket=16#detail

It is also noticeable to me that the "D5-like" only 1 year warranty, whereas EK for example offer 2 years. A genuine D5 is rated for 50,000 MTBF so in reality last for about 5 years if treated well.

Well about the warranty, for the price of 1 EK pump res I could buy 4 of Barrow's Pump res with almost identical spec lol

9 hours ago, WillBlake said:

By that do you mean I should steer clear from it? I'm looking at the DDC. I've compared their provided data with EK's and they are pretty much the same. And as another poster here said The one he bought held true.

Well about the warranty, for the price of 1 EK pump res I could buy 4 of Barrow's Pump res with almost identical spec lol

It's hard to say cause if it's a remake of the DDC like it is with their D5 I couldn't tell you if it was a decent unit. Looking at the specs it looks similar but not the same as the 18W DDC unit but it doesn't seem too far off. 

Rated voltage: 12 V DC
- Power consumption: 18 W
- Maximum head pressure: up to 5.2m
- Maximum flow rate: up to 1000 L/h
- Maximum liquid temperature: 60 °C

They are cheap enough that the risk isn't that high. That is why I ordered one for an alt build. Also Barrow is a pretty well known name in some markets... gaining more and more footing here.

Then again money isn't my problem these days... just time lol. So I end up buying a ton of crap for projects then wasting all my free time building or upgrading something... then no having time to play much on it. Can't wait until these twins get a little older and can start playing with dad.