Remote Drive Backup from NAS (synology)

I have a synology NAS which has been backing up to a USB drive connected directly to it but I am considering having an offsite backup as well. Is it possible to have a USB drive on a different network connected to an always on computer as a back up target? such as NAS at home and usb drive at work. Or would it be simpler to just use a cloud service or another synology nas, as two can communicate with one another like this when set up?

A slightly complicated set up is ok but reliability and simplicity of any maintenance is important,

Thanks in advance

Ideally you'll want a share that can be accessed directly over the internet. So your USB drive at work needs to be connected to a machine that can be reached directly. 

Rsync is what you're looking for here and will require port 22 to be open on both ends and to point directly to your work machine with the USB disk connected.

I can't explain how to set it up as I haven't done anything with rsync yet. If you're not a network administrator, I don't give it much chance that your company will allow 22 to be opened, though.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Thanks for the reply, I have looked at Rsync but it seems to me to be very linux heavy? All systems are on windows (except the mac, but don't worry about that!) I can probably get the ports sorted easily enough so that's not a problem. I will have a more through look into set up and see if it will work.

Thanks

the big question is how much data are we talking about?

to give an example how i handle this with my synology:

i currently have about 10TB usable space and 3.3TB used.

there is no way to back up all this data in the cloud for cost and also connection speed reasons but i also dont need everything backed up

Decide exactly what is important and how important it is, i have backed up all my photos into the amazon cloud which is included with prime and i also keep another copy locally on my PC

we are talking about 60GB of data which is easy to handle.

then i have important documents which are many files but only a few GB of data, this is backed up to some free 5GB cloud drive from Strato and also kept locally.

the remaining TB´s of data are movies and stuff that is not unique, for this data its enough for me to have a raid setup that allows one drive to fail and i dont keep any other backup.

try to group your files into groups like this so you can see what really needs a backup then it becomes easier to see what solutions are the right ones.