Why doesn't apple automate production of their products.

lavablade02

Apple does mostly manual construction of their products. Why doesn't Apple use machines to cut down on costs?

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

I am not sure but for me at least I have only heard bad things of their production operations in China.  

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

ask elon musk how that worked out for him

they do automate most of the products, what are you talking about?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Apple does not really manufacture the phones. Third parties do it for them.

Also, an assembly line would only work for 1 model, you change something and you have to remake it (or change it).

I do not think the sunk fixed costs of an assembly line would be recovered before it needs to be modified.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

45 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

ask elon musk how that worked out for him

they do automate most of the products, what are you talking about?

They don't automate much, they have foxconn do it mostly by hand

3 minutes ago, Eibe said:

Apple does not really manufacture the phones. Third parties do it for them.

Also, an assembly line would only work for 1 model, you change something and you have to remake it (or change it).

I do not think the sunk fixed costs of an assembly line would be recovered before it needs to be modified.

That makes sense

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

Machine cost more than humans and they do not do as well a job.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

To be fair, most of the parts are likely machine assembled. A person isn't going to lathe away an aluminum block to make a case.

However the final assembly is done by people because people (at least in Taiwan) are cheaper to employ than machines. Plus I'm not sure if we have, in mass production, machines that can work with 6DOF at that level of precision and finesse.

they don't want these friggin immigrant robots to take their jobs

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

With the way Apple keeps pumping out new designs (and deprecating existing ones), I don't think they could do it cost-effectively. Sure, machines can pump out the parts and put some of them together. But, the final product can be put together, for cheaper, by hand. Now, for a company like HP (who may end up reusing a previous design or reusing a present one a million times over), that may work. Also, have to consider relative shipping volume. Apple might not be pulling an HP, if you know what I mean (shear number of physical units shipped/day). Combine this with the point made by @Canada EH, and you have a lot of the story as for why not ;) 

Edited by TopHatProductions115
Additional citation

2 hours ago, lavablade02 said:

Apple does mostly manual construction of their products. Why doesn't Apple use machines to cut down on costs?

Manual labor is so cheap, so they prefer to use children in 3rd world countries to make their products.

Besides that, they'd have to retool, and retooling costs big money. So why bother when labor is so cheap in 3rd world countries.

They use many machines? Also they have a robot that takes them apart for recycling.

Current Rig

Thermaltake Tempered Glass Chassis W/ 3 LED Fans
Side Mounted MSI GTX 1070 8GB Armour Edition
Gigabyte Gaming 7 Mobo
KabyLake i7 7700k
Thermaltake AIO Cooler - Dual RGB Fans
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
EVGA 750w PSU
500GB Samsung EVO M.2
750GB Crucial SSD
1TB WD HDD
Win 10 Pro

On 2018-05-01 at 7:03 PM, Canada EH said:

Manual labor is so cheap, so they prefer to use children in 3rd world countries to make their products.

Besides that, they'd have to retool, and retooling costs big money. So why bother when labor is so cheap in 3rd world countries.

Nah why pay for child labor when you can pay adults slave labor wages and then put up suicide nets to keep them from killing themselves xP

(^^ the above is also a gross misrepresentation and oversimplification of the matter)

On 2018-05-01 at 7:02 PM, lavablade02 said:

It depends which operation or processes but a lot of the work is automated it’s mainly the final assembly and fit and finish work that gets the human touch. There are certain aspects as mentioned also such as cost to develop and integrate such a assembly line for it to be only superceed 12 months later with a new interation.