Thoughts on CompTIA IT Fundamentals, A+, Network+, Cyber security Analyst, Security+, and CISSP

DarkFireGuy
2 minutes ago, 2FA said:

There are different areas of Cyber Security that may or may not require all of that knowledge. Information Security Managers/Admins will of course need to know a lot of the higher level stuff. There are pentesters and forensics that are a lot more practical though you still have to create reports for the client (pentesters make recommendations). Honestly the security field is just like IT. When someone says they want to get into the field, it's pretty fair to ask what part of it.

I'm going to either become CISO or create a penetration testing company with my dad. I'll just get every security cert I can to get an edge over people for CISO cause thats really hard to do.

hey hey hey i leik turtles

Just now, DarkFireGuy said:

So you work in Security? What's the dumbest question you've got from HR?

Nah, I don't do security, in the Guard I fall under Cyber Ops (but have to know Cyber Trans and RF stuff).  So, that where I do some security related stuff which is mostly when some servers need initial setup or routers/switches need the routes and access lists done.  Civi side, I work on a Linux system/network (which is a way different kettle of fish).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

5 minutes ago, DarkFireGuy said:

I'm going to either become CISO or create a penetration testing company with my dad. I'll just get every security cert I can to get an edge over people for CISO cause thats really hard to do.

CISO is on the same level as the other C-level executives (CTO, CIO, COO, etc.) so you would need a LOT of experience in managerial security positions which isn't something that certs alone are going give you an edge in.

EDIT: That and you better be ready to be fired if anything happens.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 minutes ago, 2FA said:

CISO is on the same level as the other C-level executives (CTO, CIO, COO, etc.) so you would need a LOT of experience in managerial security positions which isn't something that certs alone are going give you an edge in.

EDIT: That and you better be ready to be fired if anything happens.

Indeed, certs do only so much.  Businesses like experience, especially if an individual has experience fixing issues.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

Indeed, certs do only so much.  Businesses like experience, especially if an individual has experience fixing issues.

I've always been told certs get you the interview, your experience gets you the job.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

8 minutes ago, 2FA said:

I've always been told certs get you the interview, your experience gets you the job.

The certs usually help get a foot into the door.  The experience is the big item that businesses like.

But, I know several from my Guard unit who have nice paying jobs without needing a whole lot of certs, or some who get the job based on their experience and the company helps the individual gain the cert.