EVGA 1080 hybrid.. Did I make a big mistake?

r1chm
Go to solution Solved by veli2501,
On 4/29/2018 at 10:23 PM, r1chm said:

But an Xbox one doesn't have these issues when played on a big screen tv. You are suggesting turning settings down on a 1080? Why did I buy one? Others are saying a 1060 will play all my games with no problems, but I see the same problems on a 1070, it is not a HW issue, I have other friends with computers that have the same problems. They just put up with it. Instead of throwing money at it, throw it out and get an xbox one x. Seems like that is the answer but that is stupid too. Why don't intel and nvidai get their act together with the game makers and come up with games that run without tearing, stuttering, percetable input lag on reasonably priced hardware instead of having to buy a $100,000 hell cat and still have these problems

You know why you think that the Xbone doesn't have these problems, right?  It's because the frame rate is either locked to either 30 or 60fps, ie vsync is enabled.  You're kidding yourself if you think that there is 0 stutter or frame rate drops on console though.

11 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Yea, so much that I can’t even play cod without my cpu getting destroyed. Same with bf1. I need to upgrade everyone really. Gotta turn down settings for pubg as well. 

are you just showing off at this point? i7 4770 is a beast and idk why it cant play cod. i got 1080 + i7 2600. i get minimal tearing at like 250 fps, im at 60hz

29 minutes ago, HK1 said:

are you just showing off at this point? i7 4770 is a beast and idk why it cant play cod. i got 1080 + i7 2600. i get minimal tearing at like 250 fps, im at 60hz

No way you get 250 FPS on ww2. The cpu is struggling in that game so it isn’t near enough. Not as bad as bf1 but I don’t have the settings maxed on ww2. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

It seems to me that your problem is the 1080p 60hz monitor/gtx 1080 combo. The 1080 is pushing out way more fps than the monitor can handle which is causing the screen tearing. 

Solution 1) Turn up the resolution in the games. Your GPU will be working harder but your monitor will still be limited to 1080p 60 fps. Also, a lot of games will give you the option to cap your frame rate in game. Cap it at 60 and your tearing should vanish. 

2) Return your monitor and get a 1440p or 4k monitor so your gpu will actually have to do a bit of work. 

3) Return the gpu and get a weaker gpu (gtx 1080 is way overkill for 1080p, my gtx 1070 will max out most games at 1080p)

I'd return for a 1060... The 1080 is honestly a waste of money at 1080p. 

Tearing happens when the FPS is higher than the monitor refresh rate, resulting in multiple frames on screen. Either V-Sync, G-Sync or turning up details and resolution are the solution. 

We all like PC gaming, if you really decide it isn't for you then that's cool. We can't force you into anything and there's no reason to be angry at us because you bought unbalanced hardware 

That's an F in the profile pic

17 hours ago, r1chm said:

In the image in my previous post as an example, a GTX 1080 plays PUBG in ultra mode at min 61 FPS.  Are you saying buying a $739 high refresh rate monitor will fix tearing problems and ensure fluid motion, no tearing, no stuttering and no perceivable input lag?

A monitor with Gsync and high refresh rate will display every frame as soon as the rendering is done in the video pipeline ensuring you get no input lag and no screen tearing and no stuttering...yes they are more expensive than regular monitors but if you're picky and want to see every frame and never skip a beat it's defenetly the way to go...you havn't seen smooth gaming until you've used one of those monitors, and from experience though i can tell you there is no going back after you own one. it's simply amazing.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

No way you get 250 FPS on ww2. The cpu is struggling in that game so it isn’t near enough. Not as bad as bf1 but I don’t have the settings maxed on ww2. 

not on ww2 lol cs

13 minutes ago, HK1 said:

not on ww2 lol cs

Well that’s apples to walnuts there. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

If you are asking DID I make a mistake you probably did as you should ask those things before you buy

On 4/29/2018 at 10:23 PM, r1chm said:

But an Xbox one doesn't have these issues when played on a big screen tv. You are suggesting turning settings down on a 1080? Why did I buy one? Others are saying a 1060 will play all my games with no problems, but I see the same problems on a 1070, it is not a HW issue, I have other friends with computers that have the same problems. They just put up with it. Instead of throwing money at it, throw it out and get an xbox one x. Seems like that is the answer but that is stupid too. Why don't intel and nvidai get their act together with the game makers and come up with games that run without tearing, stuttering, percetable input lag on reasonably priced hardware instead of having to buy a $100,000 hell cat and still have these problems

You know why you think that the Xbone doesn't have these problems, right?  It's because the frame rate is either locked to either 30 or 60fps, ie vsync is enabled.  You're kidding yourself if you think that there is 0 stutter or frame rate drops on console though.

On 4/30/2018 at 4:58 AM, r1chm said:

In the image in my previous post as an example, a GTX 1080 plays PUBG in ultra mode at min 61 FPS.  Are you saying buying a $739 high refresh rate monitor will fix tearing problems and ensure fluid motion, no tearing, no stuttering and no perceivable input lag?

The other guy seems to think I need the top of the line processor, a $1000 GTX 1080Ti and the $739 monitor and my problems will go away. If that is the case perhaps the xbox is the way to go.

Anyway no one in this post answered my question, no one convinced me that throwing more money at it will solve the problem, (although I assume that $1739 upgrade to my current system might be the resolution, but I am not willing to pay that.) 

I was not here to win and internet argument, after adding an m.2 ssd, motherboard 16gb ram, case, power supply, to this solution really makes me think the xbox is the way to go. The released and update for the system to do 4k gaming, don't know if it is a good solution but knowing Microsoft, it will look good and just work like it always has.

get a cheaper 120hz 1080p or 144hz those go for around $200

18 hours ago, Froody129 said:

I'd return for a 1060... The 1080 is honestly a waste of money at 1080p. 

Tearing happens when the FPS is higher than the monitor refresh rate, resulting in multiple frames on screen. Either V-Sync, G-Sync or turning up details and resolution are the solution. 

We all like PC gaming, if you really decide it isn't for you then that's cool. We can't force you into anything and there's no reason to be angry at us because you bought unbalanced hardware 

I wasn't angry with anyone. Irritated when I see some people say oh your i7 6700 is not strong enough when videos showing it is on games or that the 1080 is not strong enough and some people say get a 1060. 

21 hours ago, HK1 said:

dont quit the PC MASTER RACE dude :( if you have a 60Hz monitor, and don't want to get a super expensive G-SYNC monitor, you can try looking for an adaptive sync monitor. if you don't want to do that just set the fps cap to something just below your 1080s average fps, if your 1080 can put out 198 fps and never EVER go below that then just set the fps cap to a multiple of 60, like 120. i can see how to post turned into a crap show, pls make another post and link me to it so i can help without any of these time wasters around

Not going to quit. I think I am ok. I like a bigger monitor to be able to see more. When you get use to playing xbox on a 55 4k tv. dropping down to a 27 is just not doable for me. So I will live with the 32" 60hz 60fps monitor for now. I would buy buy 3 $200 Asus 32" 60hz before I spent $700 on a single high refresh monitor . I will wait a couple years until the price of gsync or adaptive sync 32" monitor price comes way down. CODWW2 is a new game for me I played it last night and today and 60fps is fine. Maybe as I get better it may not be fine but I play pc games maybe 1-4 times a month, xbox about the same. To many other hobbies. I was thinking the 1080 gtx was high end for the price and it would play most games at 1080p 60FPS with no issues. That does not seem to be the case, just looks like computer games have not figured out the sync thing or at least for a reasonable price. I am finished throwing money at my computer for now.  

It is a little disappointing that xbox one has it down. No major upgrades required, just get a new box for 3-400 dollars. No tweaking, driver issues. It just works. If it has sync or stutter problems, I don't see them or that happen so rarely that I don't notice.

11 hours ago, veli2501 said:

The reason I "think" xbox does not have these problems is because either, they happen so rarely that I don't notice stutters, and that you just stick the disk in and it works, no tweaking, driver issues, insufficient hardware which makes you have to buy new hardware. It just works and maybe not perfectly, but it works great. If people could notice tearing, stutter, input lag and such they would complain and the box would not sell. You can hook the thing up to a huge tv that has a game mode on it and it looks good and it is very playable. The game makers have to test their games with the console and make sure it works acceptably to the average player, something that does not seem to happen with PC You don't have to worry about vsync, gsync, free sync, adaptive sync, fast sync, it just works. I just thought I would be able to get smooth gameplay from a video card that costs almost 2x the price of and xbox one or PS4. I was wrong.

Did I make a mistake? Maybe, I may take the card back and get a cheaper one. 

18 minutes ago, r1chm said:

The reason I "think" xbox does not have these problems is because either, they happen so rarely that I don't notice stutters, and that you just stick the disk in and it works, no tweaking, driver issues, insufficient hardware which makes you have to buy new hardware. It just works and maybe not perfectly, but it works great. If people could notice tearing, stutter, input lag and such they would complain and the box would not sell. You can hook the thing up to a huge tv that has a game mode on it and it looks good and it is very playable. The game makers have to test their games with the console and make sure it works acceptably to the average player, something that does not seem to happen with PC You don't have to worry about vsync, gsync, free sync, adaptive sync, fast sync, it just works. I just thought I would be able to get smooth gameplay from a video card that costs almost 2x the price of and xbox one or PS4. I was wrong.

try setting the fps to a multiple of 60 till you get the expensive monitor. i got a gtx 1080 too, now im upgrading my system since everything else in my system is like 7 years old, im stuck trying to get a good monitor for cheap. amd freesync? free gsync? $300 more than freesync monitors. nvidia is an oppressive overlord. the only reason to buy nvidia is performance, stick with your monitor for now and just set the max frame rate to 120 or 180, or 60 if your graphics card is just putting out like 80 fps, since you don't have a high refresh rate monitor, 20 fps difference isn't going to give you much more smoothness or less input lag, you only reduce the input lag noticeably on a 60hz when you reach a few hundred fps, iv e played minecraft at 2500-3500 fps for the sake of testing lol and the input lag was non existent, felt less input lag than i ever have.

i got 60hz, cheapo mouse and keyboard. UPGRADING

2 hours ago, r1chm said:

just looks like computer games have not figured out the sync thing

It's called v-sync and g-sync. Enable either and you'll have the same or better experience compared to the Xbox. 

Whether or not you feel it, the Xbox has a similar or worse case when it comes to capping fps and input lag.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, r1chm said:

I just don't understand how you think having more options to customise your experience is a bad thing.  Getting screen tearing?  There is an option for that.  It's a very simple fix.  But yeah if all you're after is a very basic plug and play experience, maybe consoles are the go.  I can pretty much guarantee that once you have been playing at a constant 60hz for a while the fps drops on consoles become more noticeable. You are correct a 1080 for 1080p 60Hz is complete overkill but on the plus side it will handle that for a long time to come.  So it's not really money wasted if you don't have to upgrade for a longer period of time.

Just a heads up, there isn't a fix for some screen tearing on a television. Been fighting an issue that seems to follow Vulkan and slightly DX12.

Easy to say "just do X", when X worked for you. Harder to listen. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

48 minutes ago, r1chm said:

I think you already knew that before starting this thread, you asked the question and you got a unanimous 'yes you made a mistake' then you went off on a little bit of a rant (no offence) about how paying $xxx for this card you would expect not to encounter this, that and the other issues. 

change the monitor, change the card or play xbox1 

Try not to take things so personally next time ;)

MY RIG- I call it the millennium falcon “she doesn’t look like much but she’s got it where it counts kid”

CoolerMaster HAFX, ASUS Maximus Ranger vii, Intel i-5 4690k @4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, Reference GTX1080, 480GB SSD, Corsair RM850W. . Cooling- Corsair H60 w Noctua NF-F12, EK DBay res/pump combo, EK-FC1080FE block, 360mm radiator, 3x Noctua industrial 2000rpm fans. . Displays- LGOLED55B7V, ACER KG241. Peripherals- Corsair M65, Roccat RYOS MK-PRO, Logitech G633, Logitech G920