Screen went black, GPU Fan Ramped up to 100%

So this just happened about 15 minutes ago. I wasn't playing a game or anything, just on the forum. All of a sudden the screen goes black and my GPU fan (maybe it was the CPU, I'm not really sure) instantly ramped up to 100% speed. I had to hold the power button to shut down. Also, I turned it on a few seconds after I shut it off and the fan ramped back up to 100%, so I just waited a minute or two and it was at normal speed again.

I opened up the case to see if something was wrong, and I did notice that somehow the 8-pin PCI power connector got unplugged from the GPU. Would that cause something like this to happen? I still have no idea how that plug popped out, I guess I just didn't plug it in all the way or something.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

It was a ghost

2spooky4me

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

yep that was the power connector but it could be that becaus it didnt get enough power for a short period it MIGHT have broken the gpu 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

yep that was the power connector but it could be that becaus it didnt get enough power for a short period it MIGHT have broken the gpu 

The GPU is fine, so all is good. I just wanted to confirm on here that that was the reason for the crash and 100% fan speed. Glad to know that's all it was.

Project MiniConsole

allot of times the fan will glitch out like that if there is a driver failure or a general failure of the gpu. so maybe the power loss bugged it out and sent the fan up. gpu is probably fine.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

I just realized something... Now when I play games my GPU is only at an average of 50% usage.... I really hope this isn't due to the power cable getting unplugged.  :unsure:

Project MiniConsole

I just realized something... Now when I play games my GPU is only at an average of 50% usage.... I really hope this isn't due to the power cable getting unplugged.  :unsure:

that will happen in most all games, same with the cpu. theres a vast variation between all games as to how much resources they use and in most cases theres nothing you can do about it. Arma 3 for example is a KILLER cpu hog of a game and requires that you have a pretty good one yet it still uses mid range percentages of usage. your gpu is probably fine, its pretty hard to break them since overclocking for examle pretty much garuntees that you will be turning it up to the point of crashing on purpose so that you can find its max.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi