what is a good gpu under 250

mike.s
On 4/26/2018 at 10:22 AM, linustouchtips said:

used market Green team: gtx 970, 980 maybe,780 and 780ti, 1060 maybe. The 970 is probably the best used card you can get for under 250 imo. Red team HD 7970, r9 280, r9 280x, r9 380, r9 380x, rx 580 or 570 depends i saw some on hardwareswap reddit but keep in mind those are miners cards so ouch.

Which one seems reasonable to buy new under $250

You can grab a 980ti for under 250 bucks, performs about the same as a 1070. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, mike.s said:

Thxs but what would you rate it out 10-10

The 1060 3g is a cut down GPU along with half the memory. So 5/10

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

You can grab a 980ti for under 250 bucks, performs about the same as a 1070. 

Oof thats alot of cash

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Look for a used 980.  It's slightly better than a 1060 3GB.

how much?

Just now, mike.s said:

Oof thats alot of cash

Better deal than a 1060 3g which is about a 970. At least a 1060 6g trades blows with a 980. 

1 minute ago, mike.s said:

how much?

used R9 390/390X/Fury RX 470/480/570 GTX 780ti/970/980

those are the ones to look for on used.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Better deal than a 1060 3g which is about a 970. At least a 1060 6g trades blows with a 980. 

how much would i save or spend in relationship to both of them

Just now, mike.s said:

how much would i save or spend in relationship to both of them

Here's how I look at it.

If I buy a 200 dollar graphics card, but a year later have issues getting the performance I want. I'm stuck buying another 200 dollar graphics card that lasts a year, or spending more for one that lasts longer. A 980ti has no problem playing most games at 4k 60hz, I know because I ran one in my HTPC. So a 980ti won't have an issue at 1080p for years. A 1060 3g and its cut down GPU and half the memory, will need to be replaced much sooner than even a 1060 6g, let along something as strong as a 980ti.

I personally would rather pay a little more up front, than be constantly looking to upgrade. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Here's how I look at it.

If I buy a 200 dollar graphics card, but a year later have issues getting the performance I want. I'm stuck buying another 200 dollar graphics card that lasts a year, or spending more for one that lasts longer. A 980ti has no problem playing most games at 4k 60hz, I know because I ran one in my HTPC. So a 980ti won't have an issue at 1080p for years. A 1060 3g and its cut down GPU and half the memory, will need to be replaced much sooner than even a 1060 6g, let along something as strong as a 980ti.

I personally would rather pay a little more up front, than be constantly looking to upgrade. 

how much does a new 980ti cost and whats the full name so i can try to order it before miners get it

Just now, mike.s said:

how much does a new 980ti cost and whats the full name so i can try to order it before miners get it

980ti hasn't been made in 2 years. So you're stuck with the used market. Which at your price point will get you way more price to performance. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

980ti hasn't been made in 2 years. So you're stuck with the used market. Which at your price point will get you way more price to performance. 

whats a reliable place to buy one

Just now, mike.s said:

whats a reliable place to buy one

Reference (blower style cooler) 200 bucks (US), custom open cooler card (air cooled) 225-250, Hybrid (all in one liquid cooler) 250-275.

People are, people and they're asking more than they're worth right now. But if you keep an eye out you'll find a deal. 

if you can suffer a little more and wait for the 11 series Nvidia cards it will worth the wait. Not only will the 10 series drop in price you get more options from newer 11 series, GAMERS will be selling used 10 and 9 series to upgrade and because of the competitive market for used cards (gamers trying to upgrade vs miners trying to liquidate their GPUs) the used prices will drop too.  Sooo many pros and the only con is to suffer for a few more months. don't let them rob you. pleasure wouldn't feel so good if it wasn't for pain!

Bolivia.

8 minutes ago, SupremeGOAT said:

if you can suffer a little more and wait for the 11 series Nvidia cards it will worth the wait. Not only will the 10 series drop in price you get more options from newer 11 series, GAMERS will be selling used 10 and 9 series to upgrade and because of the competitive market for used cards (gamers trying to upgrade vs miners trying to liquidate their GPUs) the used prices will drop too.  Sooo many pros and the only con is to suffer for a few more months. don't let them rob you. pleasure wouldn't feel so good if it wasn't for pain!

No, after the launch of a new series, the older series is discontinued and therefore goes up in price. Every time.

Plus the 11 series will be bought up by miners as they'll be able to mine again, raising prices further.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

No, after the launch of a new series, the older series is discontinued and therefore goes up in price. Every time.

Plus the 11 series will be bought up by miners as they'll be able to mine again, raising prices further.

see that doesnt make any sense cuz if they are discontinued wouldn't the used ones be the ones for sale? going with your premise why would you recommend 900 series? Miners will able to mine again?.... what do you mean? they are able to mine now and ASIC miners are are on the rise while the value of ICOs are on dropping. Why exactly do you believe the prices of GPUs  are returning to MSRP?

Bolivia.

26 minutes ago, SupremeGOAT said:

see that doesnt make any sense cuz if they are discontinued wouldn't the used ones be the ones for sale? going with your premise why would you recommend 900 series? Miners will able to mine again?.... what do you mean? they are able to mine now and ASIC miners are are on the rise while the value of ICOs are on dropping. Why exactly do you believe the prices of GPUs  are returning to MSRP?

Talking new. A new 1080 will be more expensive after the launch of the 11 series than now. 

To avoid a derailment of the topic, know the price of graphics cards has dropped because the ability to mine using the cards available now has decreased. After the launch of the 11 series that will change, mining will be profitable again. How crypto currency is built.

Since you won't be able to touch a 11 series card at MSRP for 6 months at least, the focus for gamers will shift to the 10 series, which will be sold out quickly and cause an inflation of the used market.

24 minutes ago, App4that said:

Talking new. A new 1080 will be more expensive after the launch of the 11 series than now. 

To avoid a derailment of the topic, know the price of graphics cards has dropped because the ability to mine using the cards available now has decreased. After the launch of the 11 series that will change, mining will be profitable again. How crypto currency is built.

Since you won't be able to touch a 11 series card at MSRP for 6 months at least, the focus for gamers will shift to the 10 series, which will be sold out quickly and cause an inflation of the used market.

either way the correct prices of the 10 series now should be below MSRP soon enough. The prices of Bitcoin and ethereum are dropping like the price of GPUs and its not getting good publicity at this point (just google bitcoin). If by some miracle cryptocurrency is reborn the ASICs will be the primary targets of miners since they mine the same as GPUs for WAAAAAY LESS even at gpu msrp. Staying on topic... waiting is the best bet for a budget gamer such as the OP.. the longer you wait the more GPU prices will drop.Intel comming with its own GPU more competition equals more competitive prices. Even going by your logic that the miners are unable to mine on the 10series GPUs they still will have to sell them or just keep them as paper weights. just relax and be patient the market is flooded now the GPUs are here the prices are not.

Bolivia.

1 hour ago, SupremeGOAT said:

either way the correct prices of the 10 series now should be below MSRP soon enough. The prices of Bitcoin and ethereum are dropping like the price of GPUs and its not getting good publicity at this point (just google bitcoin). If by some miracle cryptocurrency is reborn the ASICs will be the primary targets of miners since they mine the same as GPUs for WAAAAAY LESS even at gpu msrp. Staying on topic... waiting is the best bet for a budget gamer such as the OP.. the longer you wait the more GPU prices will drop.Intel comming with its own GPU more competition equals more competitive prices. Even going by your logic that the miners are unable to mine on the 10series GPUs they still will have to sell them or just keep them as paper weights. just relax and be patient the market is flooded now the GPUs are here the prices are not.

You don't want a used mining card though, and a 980ti pr any Maxwell card sucks for mining and so the chances of buying one used for mining is significantly less.

Waiting, is waiting. You'll wait for the 11 series, wait for supply, wait for prices to drop, wait for Vega 20, wait for supply, wait for prices to drop.

Rinse and repeat while the rest of us game on the cards we bought ;)

What gpu is great for gaming at will last for more than a couple of years and isn't to expensive because of miners.