G3560 + GTX 980 Equivalent Console (2018)

tatte

xboxonex_kuva_0_2.jpg?itok=iLMHIUSW

Based on this recent build by our community's beloved child, minervx. One X is 33% cheaper and comes with more goodies, such as the only controller required and free trials to services.

The console experience:

By magical turns of events, you find yourself home with a console box. You unbox it. You find your new, clean, ready to go console. You plug in the two cables, slide in two batteries to your new controller and boot both up. The console greets you and starts a quick update, then it guides you to create your personalized account. Soon it's ready to go and you gently insert the first game and wait for it to install, building your excitement the whole time. Your family, friends and even the guy from next door you never liked enjoy playing with you, your bonds with your loved ones deepen significantly and your life is vastly improved.

The PC experience:

You sit at home, it's 1 AM and you have work tomorrow. You are researching parts, crosschecking your options with what's available and compatible. You turn to the Internet and receive rubbish help. After many long nights and endless frustration, you make your decisions and order your parts. They arrive one week later, bashed and soaked in some oil the delivery guy intentionally stored, without a container, on top of your packages. You spend an eternity checking your packages and their contents for damage, you make a post about the delivery service online and receive a moderate amount of upvotes. Several nights later you finally have enough time to start building your PC.

You cut your fingers on the case. You cut your fingers on the I/O shield. You accidentally snap off the lock from PCI-e lane. An eternity later you have your PC ready to go. You hook up the power, HDMI, ethernet, and wireless receivers. Nothing happens. You picked the wrong RAM. Another week rolls by as you wait for the right RAM. Behold, it boots! But your input devices are not recognized. You rush to the store and buy the cheapest wired ones and finally enter the BIOS. Everything is recognized correctly, hooray! Now you just need to... uhh... right, the OS! You once again turn to the Internet, it turns out you have two choices: buy Windows on physical media or make your own and acquire the key separately. You ask your friend to create the media, you buy and deliver your USB-stick to him. He avoids your texts for a week, turns out he is useless and unreliable. You have no choice, you fork out the 100-200 dollars for Windows 10. Installation goes smoothly, thank you Microsoft! (A few weeks later Windows destroys itself, and you have to format your drive. You didn't partition it right, you have to download everything again.)

Tadah! You're looking at your clean desktop, finally! You're sitting on the floor because you can't make anything out from the comfy leather couch. The first thing you'll need to do is use Edge. You don't know what it is, but your soul can feel that something is wrong. A higher power compells you to install a better browser. You proceed to spend hours on the floor, installing updates, programs and games. You figure out how to make most things readable from the couch, but you soon realise how incredibly uncomfortable it is. You once more venture to the local megamarket and buy a controller. Several additional moments of frustration later you realise it just won't ever be intuitive. You end up juggling between keyboard+mouse and the controller. Whatever, everything is finally set up!

You invite your friends over, but you struggle to find anything good supporting co-op. The success of the night depends entirely on whether you are serving alcohol or not. The night doesn't repeat. You carry on gaming alone, you eventually get very heavily into it, and your wife leaves you two weeks later. She takes the dog.

Conclusion:

Get a console! It's cheaper, easier, and vastly more fun! Thank god we don't have downvotes here.

11 minutes ago, tatte said:

Naw just get an APU rig, more versatile.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

15 minutes ago, tatte said:

It's cheaper, easier, and vastly more fun!

The fun wont last long though. When next gen console comes, you can only play some games, not all. When the generation after that arrives, you're done with any new releases. If something goes wrong after the end of warranty, you're done for.

With a PC, you can still run most games 10 years after the machine's release as long as you turn down the settings to a minimal. If anything breaks after warranty, you can still fix it yourself, sometimes with dirt cheap parts. After it gets so old it's no longer good for any games, it can still play super high resolution videos with a modern graphics card, act as a paperwork machine and a storage PC.

in short, console for the lazybones.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

16 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

The fun wont last long though. When next gen console comes, you can only play some games, not all. When the generation after that arrives, you're done with any new releases. If something goes wrong after the end of warranty, you're done for.

With a PC, you can still run most games 10 years after the machine's release as long as you turn down the settings to a minimal. If anything breaks after warranty, you can still fix it yourself, sometimes with dirt cheap parts. After it gets so old it's no longer good for any games, it can still play super high resolution videos with a modern graphics card, act as a paperwork machine and a storage PC.

in short, console for the lazybones.

Except in order to have a PC that lasts that long, even at low settings, you have to spend multitudes more to begin with.

The paperwork or storage points are also invalid since you'd not have bought a console with such things in mind. Consoles rarely die. If they do, they're generally so old that replacement ones are dirt cheap used. 

Overall it's a rather poor argument. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

25 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Except in order to have a PC that lasts that long, even at low settings, you have to spend multitudes more to begin with.

The paperwork or storage points are also invalid since you'd not have bought a console with such things in mind. Consoles rarely die. If they do, they're generally so old that replacement ones are dirt cheap used. 

Overall it's a rather poor argument. 

Not sure on that. My friend has an E6300 and GTX 550ti setup, still playing CSGO and Fortnite (at 720p 50% resolution scaling). Not sure how could he bear with that though. Probably into Buddhism and saving on everything.

Indeed no one buys console for those uses, but you couldnt make a console do those even after it gets obselete and have to buy something else for these things. This evens out the cost.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 hour ago, tatte said:

xboxonex_kuva_0_2.jpg?itok=iLMHIUSW

Based on this recent build by our community's beloved child, minervx. One X is 33% cheaper and comes with more goodies, such as the only controller required and free trials to services.

The console experience:

By magical turns of events, you find yourself home with a console box. You unbox it. You find your new, clean, ready to go console. You plug in the two cables, slide in two batteries to your new controller and boot both up. The console greets you and starts a quick update, then it guides you to create your personalized account. Soon it's ready to go and you gently insert the first game and wait for it to install, building your excitement the whole time. Your family, friends and even the guy from next door you never liked enjoy playing with you, your bonds with your loved ones deepen significantly and your life is vastly improved.

The PC experience:

You sit home, it's 1 AM and you have work tomorrow. You are researching parts, crosschecking your options with what's available and compatible. You turn to the Internet and receive rubbish help. After many long nights and endless frustration, you make your decisions and order your parts. They arrive one week later, bashed and soaked in some oil the delivery guy intentionally stored, without a container, on top of your packages. You spend an eternity checking your packages and their contents for damage, you make a post about the delivery service online and receive a moderate amount of upvotes. Several nights later you finally have enough time to start building your PC.

You cut your fingers on the case. You cut your fingers on the I/O shield. You accidentally snap off the lock from PCI-e lane. An eternity later you have your PC ready to go. You hook up the power, HDMI, ethernet, and wireless receivers. Nothing happens. You picked the wrong RAM. Another week rolls by as you wait for the right RAM. Behold, it boots! But your input devices are not recognized. You rush to the store and buy the cheapest wired ones and finally enter the BIOS. Everything is recognized correctly, hooray! Now you just need to... uhh... right, the OS! You once again turn to the Internet, it turns out you have two choices: buy Windows on physical media or make your own and acquire the key separately. You ask your friend to create the media, you buy and deliver your USB-stick to him. He avoids your texts for a week, turns out he is useless and unreliable. You have no choice, you fork out the 100-200 dollars for Windows 10. Installation goes smoothly, thank you Microsoft! (A few weeks later Windows destroys itself, and you have to format your drive. You didn't partition it right, you have to download everything again.)

Tadah! You're looking at your clean desktop, finally! You're sitting on the floor because you can't make anything out from the comfy leather couch. The first thing you'll need to do is use Edge. You don't know what it is, but your soul can feel that something is wrong. A higher power compells you to install a better browser. You proceed to spend hours on the floor, installing updates, programs and games. You figure out how to make most things readable from the couch, but you soon realise how incredibly uncomfortable it is. You once more venture to the local megamarket and buy a controller. Several additional moments of frustration you realise it just won't ever be intuitive. You end up juggling between keyboard+mouse and the controller. Whatever, everything is finally set up!

You invite your friends over, but you struggle to find anything good supporting co-op. The success of the night depends entirely on whether you are serving alcohol or not. The night doesn't repeat. You carry on gaming alone, you eventually get very heavily into it, and your wife leaves you two weeks later. She takes the dog.

Conclusion:

Get a console! It's cheaper, easier, and vastly more fun! Thank god we don't have downvotes here.

Count in the money you'll spend on online and see if it's still cheaper. Count in £60 per game compared to £10 - £30. In the long run, a console costs a lot more than a PC, I've definitely spent more on my PS4 than my PC.

Also the "The PC experience:" part is total BS, unless you're lazy, do one or two hours of research tops. Plus who says you have to build a PC, sure it's cheaper but you can have a company build it for you or just buy a prebuilt. Why don't you actually list the negatives and positives of both platforms? Typical fun boy.

5 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

Count in £60 per game compared to £10 - £30.

Pointing out that games are more expensive on PC doesn't really help your case. o.O I'm looking at GTA V on Steam and it's full 60€. Meanwhile here's Divinity: Original Sin 75% off. This show definitely that games on consoles are always cheaper than on PC. It's so sad that we don't have sales on PC, but what can you do. Consoles are just all around better!

11 minutes ago, tatte said:

Pointing out that games are more expensive on PC doesn't really help your case. o.O I'm looking at GTA V on Steam and it's full 60€. Meanwhile here's Divinity: Original Sin 75% off. This show definitely that games on consoles are always cheaper than on PC. It's so sad that we don't have sales on PC, but what can you do. Consoles are just all around better!

Did you just compare two different games in price trying to say that one platform is cheaper? We have a steam sale every season, what are you talking about I bought GTA for £19.99  meanwhile I paid £39.99 on console. 

5 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

Did you just compare two different games in price trying to say that one platform is cheaper? We have a steam sale every season, what are you talking about I bought GTA for £19.99  meanwhile I paid £39.99 on console. 

That's your own fault, unless someone pointed a gun at you and made you pay so much. But fair point about the comparison, so here's Divinity: Original Sin for PC, four times as expensive as on console. Touché. It's Spring right now and I don't see a Spring sale, why must you lie?

7 hours ago, tatte said:

That's your own fault, unless someone pointed a gun at you and made you pay so much. But fair point about the comparison, so here's Divinity: Original Sin for PC, four times as expensive as on console. Touché. It's Spring right now and I don't see a Spring sale, why must you lie?

Wait and you'll see there'll be one, your point about choice makes no sense, what else was I supposed to do? Steal the game? 

7 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

Wait and you'll see there'll be one, your point about choice makes no sense, what else was I supposed to do? Steal the game? 

Since you seem sharp enough to look forward for future sales on PC, I'll let you in on a secret: consoles have frequent sales too. Shocking, I know. But shh, don't tell anyone, it's a well guarded secret. Things would get really out of hand if PC tweebs realized this, you know, riots even.

2 minutes ago, tatte said:

Since you seem sharp enough to look forward for future sales on PC, I'll let you in on a secret: consoles have frequent sales too. Shocking, I know. But shh, don't tell anyone, it's a well guarded secret. Things would get really out of hand if PC tweebs realized this, you know, riots even.

Jokes on you because GTA V was on sale when I bought it for £39.99.

1 minute ago, <Aleks> said:

Jokes on you because GTA V was on sale when I bought it for £39.99.

So anything's a good deal to you if it's on sale? Could I interest you in this toothpick, my asking price is 8000 euros, but I can give you 1% discount for being so swell. (I don't mind having this chat, but this is now getting really unrelated to the topic. If I buy a car and crash it two meters from the dealer, it's not the fault of the car manufacturer, it's a personal failure. ;))

1 minute ago, tatte said:

So anything's a good deal to you if it's on sale? Could I interest you in this toothpick, my asking price is 8000 euros, but I can give you 1% discount for being so swell. (I don't mind having this chat, but this is now getting really unrelated to the topic. If I buy a car and crash it two meters from the dealer, it's not the fault of the car manufacturer, it's a personal failure. ;))

What are you talking about? "Anythings's a good deal to you", I just proved that games are more expensive on a console. Therefore a console would be more expensive in the long run, dont forget to count the online subscription. 

17 minutes ago, said:

What are you talking about? "Anythings's a good deal to you", I just proved that games are more expensive on a console. Therefore a console would be more expensive in the long run, dont forget to count the online subscription. 

Did you know that discount percentages aren't fixed? All you have done is sob how you overpaid for your game, meanwhile at least I provided actual, current links. You need to up your game a little. B|

Alright, let's factor in Live Gold. Last time I paid £25 for 13 months of Gold (there was a bonus month for renewing Gold), which in return gives me at least 52 games and better discounts on other games. It pays itself back without breaking a sweat. Using the minervx's build as a comparison, I get seven and a half years of Gold (360 games) before the console even catches up to what the PC costs. This is of course assuming I won't find a better deal in the meanwhile, as people with any money skills don't jump on the first discount they see. How many years do you think you'll stick with the same PC without changing anything?

2 minutes ago, tatte said:

Did you know that discount percentages aren't fixed? All you have done is sob how you overpaid for your game, meanwhile at least I provided actual, current links. You need to up your game a little. B|

Alright, let's factor in Live Gold. Last time I paid £25 for 13 months of Gold (there was a bonus month for renewing Gold), which in return gives me at least 52 games and better discounts on other games. It pays itself back without breaking a sweat. Using the minervx's build as a comparison, I get seven and a half years of Gold (360 games) before the console even catches up to what the PC costs. This is of course assuming I won't find a better deal in the meanwhile, as people with any money skills don't jump on the first discount they see. How many years do you think you'll stick with the same PC without changing anything?

I can easily stick with my PC for the next ten year, but these things are person to person. Also not a lot of people will actually care about these "free" games. It doesn't pay for itself you pay for it. 

26 minutes ago, said:

I can easily stick with my PC for the next ten year, but these things are person to person. Also not a lot of people will actually care about these "free" games. It doesn't pay for itself you pay for it. 

Do you feel like that because you have only lived for 10 years so far, and thereby are unaware of the enormous leaps technology takes in that kind of time? You are right, but those "a lot of people" are you PC jihadists, so their opinion on the matter would hardly matter even if you didn't disregard the point. It'll take eight years for the console to get more expensive than the PC due to the near-obligatory Live Gold, hundreds of games are just an added bonus the console receives while catching up with the price of the PC.

55 minutes ago, tatte said:

Do you feel like that because you have only lived for 10 years so far, and thereby are unaware of the enormous leaps technology takes in that kind of time? You are right, but those "a lot of people" are you PC jihadists, so their opinion on the matter would hardly matter even if you didn't disregard the point. It'll take eight years for the console to get more expensive than the PC due to the near-obligatory Live Gold, hundreds of games are just an added bonus the console receives while catching up with the price of the PC.

"PC jihadists" I own a console, "you have only lived for 10 years so far," I can assure you that, that's not the case, but I honestly can be arsed to have this discussion with you at this point in time.

Some people enjoy researching hardware and putting them together.  The first time my old house mate started the Xbone the update took 2hrs to download.  Controllers are only good for certain games.

You're not not going to convert anyone here dude.  I already own both consoles and have owned one from every single generation since PS1.  Yet I consider and always will consider PC gaming far far superior.

2 hours ago, veli2501 said:

You're not not going to convert anyone here dude.

Speaking of converting, what would you reckon to be the odds that this community would shelter people playing exclusively on console? Do you think there's a need to regularly try to convince members of this community to get a PC? If you take a look at Console Gaming subforum, you'll see why I made this topic, and can put everything in the right perspective.

4 minutes ago, tatte said:

Speaking of converting, what would you reckon to be the odds that this community would shelter people playing exclusively on console? Do you think there's a need to regularly try to convince members of this community to get a PC? If you take a look at Console Gaming subforum, you'll see why I made this topic, and can put everything in the right perspective.

It's a tech forum with a focus on PCs.  Go and join an Xbox forum FFS.

10 minutes ago, veli2501 said:

It's a tech forum with a focus on PCs.  Go and join an Xbox forum FFS.

I was wrong about you, my bad.

2 hours ago, veli2501 said:

since PS1.

I see your problem, you got the wrong brand. Buy an Xbox and I'm sure you'll realize how far it has gotten in comparison to costly PCs, I'm sure you'll never look back!

14 minutes ago, tatte said:

I see your problem, you got the wrong brand. Buy an Xbox and I'm sure you'll realize how far it has gotten in comparison to costly PCs, I'm sure you'll never look back!

I have an Xbone.  It doesn't get used save for Netflix on the living room TV because every singe game is available on my vastly superior PC.

But feel free to fanboy your selected brand, I'm sure it will help getting lots more people into the console section considering ps4 sales outnumber xbone 4:1 

2 minutes ago, veli2501 said:

I have an Xbone.  It doesn't get used save for Netflix on the living room TV because every singe game is available on my vastly superior PC.

Yeah right, like someone who's up to date with consoles and PCs would ever actually buy an Xbox. It's obvious you're lying about something, and the only logical answer is that you know how superior console gaming is, and probably are trying to sell your PC right now. Good try, bro.