Workstation/Gaming Build Haswell E

Go to solution Solved by Hans Christian | Teri,

If you keep waiting for new technology before you order your build you will be waiting forever. Haswell-E can very well be a long long time away, we only just got Ivy Bridge-E, and I doubt it will be a huge performance leap. The same goes for DDR4, other than price pr MB and larger modules not much will change. None of the two are worth waiting for. The GTX 800 series may be, but we still have no clue when they will be released.

Hi all,

I have been planning a new workstation and gaming build for the last year, but I keep going back and forth on waiting for Haswell E.  I have been looking forward to Haswell E, DDR4, and the GTX 880, but the current 4930k and GTX 780ti are still promising.  My largest problem is longevity of the rig as DDR4 will be usable for many and Maxwell will be a great performance leap.  Also an 8 core cpu wouldn't hurt.  I would like to have a new rig now, but I can wait for another 6 months.  My real question is whether these parts will be a great perfromance leap  or if I should get the current generation parts?

Here is how I think it will be:

Haswell-E: Will probably not be such a massive jump because Intel will most likely continue working more on energy efficency and such then actual performance.

880: New architecture. New hope. I personally believe Maxwell with the 880s will be a massive leap forward.

DDR4: RAM isn't renewed often so when it is it is a massive leap so I would expect this to be as well. But really: Most things doesn't really require that good RAM anyways...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Well you can never build something for the future, everyday technology is advancing. You can either wait and get the new tech, then later do this whole thing again or just build something now. It is your decision, now or later.

Spoiler

Hi all,

I have been planning a new workstation and gaming build for the last year, but I keep going back and forth on waiting for Haswell E.  I have been looking forward to Haswell E, DDR4, and the GTX 880, but the current 4930k and GTX 780ti are still promising.  My largest problem is longevity of the rig as DDR4 will be usable for many and Maxwell will be a great performance leap.  Also an 8 core cpu wouldn't hurt.  I would like to have a new rig now, but I can wait for another 6 months.  My real question is whether these parts will be a great perfromance leap  or if I should get the current generation parts?

Wait so you got a 4930k and want to upgrade later to haswell-e?

u must be rich= 0.o

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Here is how I think it will be:

Haswell-E: Will probably not be such a massive jump because Intel will most likely continue working more on energy efficency and such then actual performance.

880: New architecture. New hope. I personally believe Maxwell with the 880s will be a massive leap forward.

DDR4: RAM isn't renewed often so when it is it is a massive leap so I would expect this to be as well. But really: Most things doesn't really require that good RAM anyways...

i agree with the basically everything except haswell-e there will be 8 cores so it should be a good improvement.

Op i would wait but i don't think haswell-e comes out until like Q4 2014

If you keep waiting for new technology before you order your build you will be waiting forever. Haswell-E can very well be a long long time away, we only just got Ivy Bridge-E, and I doubt it will be a huge performance leap. The same goes for DDR4, other than price pr MB and larger modules not much will change. None of the two are worth waiting for. The GTX 800 series may be, but we still have no clue when they will be released.

Hi all,

If you want more cores,Xeon E7-2890v2.

If you want more cores,Xeon E7-2890v2.

You can also get 24 core Xeons so yeah... ;)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

like?

I am on my phone now, but I can swear I have seen it so I'll find it later :)

Tor

I am on my phone now, but I can swear I have seen it so I'll find it later :)

the only one i saw is broadwell-e or something like that.

Re-post this in like 8 months when we have enough info.

After some careful consideration, I agree with you completely.  I plan to stick with a 4930k and ddr3, but i will wait for January to buy a EVGA GTX 780 ti (and use EVGA step up program if something comes out in the following 3 months).  Thanks for everyones advice.

After some careful consideration, I agree with you completely.  I plan to stick with a 4930k and ddr3, but i will wait for January to buy a EVGA GTX 780 ti (and use EVGA step up program if something comes out in the following 3 months).  Thanks for everyones advice.

Thumbs up for knowing that, I usually mention the step up program but forgot this time. EVGA are really great guys! :)