Found a good deal on a GTX 1060 3GB, but is it about to be obsolete?

If you went on the new, I think it's not really worth it unless you can lower it down to $500-550. 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2G7Ygw
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2G7Ygw/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($118.80 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME H310M-E Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($66.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($77.39 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Mushkin - Source 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Mini ITX OC Video Card  ($245.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.73 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($23.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $622.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-23 19:14 EDT-0400

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Remember how many times WCCF and others have called the "next generation of cards", since before the 1070ti.

This borders on the "always waiting" logic loop. If you wait for the 1160, why not wait for the 680 form AMD, then the 1260 will be talked about, only to have the 780 sooooo cloooose.

Meh, if you have the oportunity to grab a good card (the 3g 1060 borders on losing that status I admit) for a good price (the most imortant bit) do it. Better to game, rather than be waiting to game. 

What do you mean? I don't get the first part of that comment.

Because we're literally a couple months from release. It's not like we're saying wait a year for something new. That's a different matter entirely.

We're very closet to the next cycle of graphics cards. At this point, waiting can make sense.

Pro tip: You can still game on the Ryzen integrated graphics.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Remember how many times WCCF and others have called the "next generation of cards", since before the 1070ti.

This borders on the "always waiting" logic loop. If you wait for the 1160, why not wait for the 680 form AMD, then the 1260 will be talked about, only to have the 780 sooooo cloooose.

Meh, if you have the oportunity to grab a good card (the 3g 1060 borders on losing that status I admit) for a good price (the most imortant bit) do it. Better to game, rather than be waiting to game. 

Yeah I'm inclined to agree but then again the new GTX series is rumored to not be far off so maybe it would be a better long-term investment to save up

@Bubblewhale

It's a complete build for about 600 in US dollars which is great where I live.

So I am still unsure about where OP lives but yours are US prices which can be very different to other parts of the world. Especially in the used market.

Just now, Snapperx said:

@Bubblewhale

So I am still unsure about where OP lives but yours are US prices which can be very different to other parts of the world. Especially in the used market.

Even with used prices, build in general isn't worth 600-700 USD. 

3 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

If you went on the new, I think it's not really worth it unless you can lower it down to $500-550. 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2G7Ygw
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2G7Ygw/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($118.80 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME H310M-E Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($66.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($77.39 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Mushkin - Source 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Mini ITX OC Video Card  ($245.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.73 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($23.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $622.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-23 19:14 EDT-0400

Great effort compiling that but I'm based in a high-tax country where this package I'm looking at really is a good deal.

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Because we're literally a couple months from release. It's not like we're saying wait a year for something new. That's a different matter entirely.

We're very closet to the next cycle of graphics cards. At this point, waiting can make sense.

However I won't be able to afford  1170+ this year and I don't know when the 1160 will drop. If I do decide to wait though I think I will hold off on everything and build a proper rig around the new card I choose. Really on th fence about this whole thing both you and App4 make a lot of sense.

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'm simply says we've been months away from Nvidia's next cards, for over a year. I would guess Sept-Nov timeframe, but I figured we would have seen them by now. 

You can't compare a Ryzen APU to a 1060, even a 3g model. If the price is right the 1060 is a much better temporary option.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

Great effort compiling that but I'm based in a high-tax country where this package I'm looking at really is a good deal.

Where do you live exactly, but I think getting a 2200G is pointless considering it's iGPU is comparable to your 570. 

1 minute ago, Bubblewhale said:

Even with used prices, build in general isn't worth 600-700 USD.

That depends on where you live. Don't be so ignorant. In some parts of the world you can't even get specific brands or items or they are very expensive for what they are.

It's like comparing the price of a pack of smokes from asia to the one from the US or elsewhere. Sometimes it doesn't even need to be such a huge distance for prices to be nuts.

Where do you live exactly, but I think getting a 2200G is pointless considering it's iGPU is comparable to your 570. 

Exactly in Sweden, we got taxes on taxes. 

1 minute ago, Snapperx said:

That depends on where you live. Don't be so ignorant. In some parts of the world you can't even get specific brands or items or they are very expensive for what they are.

It's like comparing the price of a pack of smokes from asia to the one from the US or elsewhere. Sometimes it doesn't even need to be such a huge distance for prices to be nuts.

Used market is different anyway, yes I know I'm thinking about US prices but I thought the OP was in the US. There's other things that I didn't factor in as well, I just put together a list of parts that met the "8100/1060 3GB" idea without knowing what motherboard, case, psu used as well. 

46 minutes ago, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

This deal requires that I buy all arts as a package so no fine tuning the build unfortunately, it's their way or the highway. If we're talking GPU realese dates I guess it would be better to wait for the new 11XX-series, or 20XX whatever it will be called.

1060 3GB is plenty for 1080p 60+fps at high details in most modern games. The i3 8100 wont hold it back that much, but something like a cheaper Ryzen 5 would benefit the 1060 more.

You wanna know what's great about PCs vs consoles? Buying a complete system and parting it out for a return on the investment to put towards better specs to pair with the parts you actually wanted in the first place...

Hint hint

2 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

yes I know I'm thinking about US prices but I thought the OP was in the US.

Well don't assume so much. The exact same card that you listed goes for about 310 USD in Sweden.
https://se.pcpartpicker.com/product/P8Crxr/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-3gb-mini-itx-oc-video-card-gv-n1060ixoc-3gd

Thats just the card.

3 minutes ago, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

Exactly in Sweden, we got taxes on taxes. 

Ok the 8100 build wouldn't be a bad idea, considering new alone for majority of parts would cost 700 USD minimum. 

Considering you have a 570, are you using something sandy bridge wise? 

Just now, dragonhart6505 said:

1060 3GB isnplenty for 1080p60 at high details in most modern games. The i3 8100 wont hold it back that much, but something like a cheaper Ryzen 5 would benefit the 1060 more.

You wanna know what's great about PCs vs consoles? Buying a complete system and parting it out for a return on the investment to put towards better specs for the parts you actually want...

Hint hint

Yes that crossed my mind but I have no experience selling parts, I'm not sure how long it would take to find a buyer willing to pay given that this card is... well not necessarily the most future proof.

4 minutes ago, Snapperx said:

Well don't assume so much. The exact same card that you listed goes for about 310 USD in Sweden.
https://se.pcpartpicker.com/product/P8Crxr/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-3gb-mini-itx-oc-video-card-gv-n1060ixoc-3gd

Thats just the card.

Alright I'm wrong there, no need to be quite toxic about it. It was me not knowing where he was and just assuming location. 

5 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

Ok the 8100 build wouldn't be a bad idea, considering new alone for majority of parts would cost 700 USD minimum. 

Considering you have a 570, are you using something sandy bridge wise? 

Yes I believe so though I actually don't remember more than that it's an old i5 atm.

Yes I believe so though I actually don't remember more than that it's an old i5 atm.

Depending on the parts, it's might a cheaper solution to do a small upgrade with a better cpu and gpu rather than getting a whole system. 

3 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

Depending on the parts, it's might a cheaper solution to do a small upgrade with a better cpu and gpu rather than getting a whole system. 

That was my first thought but the only parts left would be the HDD and chassis, and it would actually end up costing a similar amount as this new package, outside my budget if I were to get the 6GB version and a better CPU.

What do you think about getting the deal from the OP and the upgrade my GPU in 2 years or so, will I be CPU bound at that point you think?

6 minutes ago, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

That was my first thought but the only parts left would be the HDD and chassis, and it would actually end up costing a similar amount as this new package, outside my budget if I were to get the 6GB version and a better CPU.

What do you think about getting the deal from the OP and the upgrade my GPU in 2 years or so, will I be CPU bound at that point you think?

It's not a bad deal in your situation, you could possibly get a used i5/i7 chip later down the line if you need more power. But I still think 4C/4T is fine for gaming, 1080P 60HZ will handle it with no problems. Is the motherboard Z370? It opens up the possibly getting a K SKU. 

1 hour ago, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

i3-8100 3.6 GHz and a GTX 1060 3GB

that should get you to 2020 @1080 no problem then you can

1 hour ago, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

I plan to build a beastmode gaming rig and buy a new higher resolution screen

43 minutes ago, App4that said:

I'm simply says we've been months away from Nvidia's next cards, for over a year. I would guess Sept-Nov timeframe, but I figured we would have seen them by now. 

You can't compare a Ryzen APU to a 1060, even a 3g model. If the price is right the 1060 is a much better temporary option.

Really? I haven't heard that, and this summer would more or less fall right in line with their usual release cycle. Plus the mass production of GDDR6 is a pretty good sign.

No, but you can compare it to the GTX 570 he's been using. As he said, he has to buy the whole system, not just part of it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

It's not a bad deal in your situation, you could possibly get a used i5/i7 chip later down the line if you need more power. But I still think 4C/4T is fine for gaming, 1080P 60HZ will handle it with no problems. Is the motherboard Z370? It opens up the possibly getting a K SKU. 

It's definitely a good deal but as some have pointed out the new series isn't far away and I think my purchasing power will improve over the next 6 months.

The motherboard is a ASUS Prime Z370, is that upgradeable? I'm lost when it comes to motherboards tbh 

It's definitely a good deal but as some have pointed out the new series isn't far away and I think my purchasing power will improve over the next 6 months.

The motherboard is a ASUS Prime Z370, is that upgradeable? I'm lost when it comes to motherboards tbh 

It opens up the possibly getting a K CPU and overclocking it for better performance, but the i3-8100 is fine for 1080P 60HZ. Just consider what do you want in the future, in terms of gaming res and refresh rate with games. 

It opens up the possibly getting a K CPU and overclocking it for better performance, but the i3-8100 is fine for 1080P 60HZ. Just consider what do you want in the future, in terms of gaming res and refresh rate with games. 

Thanks, for the next 2-3 years I will play in 1080p but I like my graphics to run at least on medium and I'm picky about the frame-rate. I like the performance of the 1060 even if this version has fewer CUDA but I'm worried about the Vram. Maybe I'm overthinking it and I should just make a decision, buy or wait probably won't go wrong either way.