Found a good deal on a GTX 1060 3GB, but is it about to be obsolete?

Kind of a complex situation: I've found a great value package deal for a serviceable gaming PC in parts with a i3-8100 3.6 GHz and a GTX 1060 3GB.  The offer is such that I can't swap any of the parts, I either buy all of them or I don't buy at all.

What I want is a PC that will last me until the new generation of consoles drop with a new standard of graphics at which point I plan to build a beastmode gaming rig and buy a new higher resolution screen (currently got 1080p). So I guess I want a PC that will do ok until about 2020-2021, unfortunately this hasn't been within my budget... until now.

To make matters worse this offer ends on April 29:o so I'm really on the edge about pulling the trigger or not.

What do you guys think should I take the deal or hold off and pray to the Crypto gods that I will be able to build a PC with a 6GB version later this year?

I (want to) play all kinds of games from indie to AAA

I don't want to miss out on cool games in the coming years or have to run them on low settings to get dem steady 60'.

My current card is an ancient GTX 570, I wanna game ASAP guys but I don't want to make a bad investment. Pls advice!

3 minutes ago, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

new generation of consoles drop with a new standard of graphics

That doesn't happen like that. Actually you should look at GPU release dates rather than console releases. For Nvidia it will be this year and probably 2020 again.
Also do you need the i3? If not why dont try to get a used 6GB?

unfortunately with a 1060 you'd have to make some compromises to get a steady 60fps

how much is it?

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

1060 is more than fine, will last you years. Especially at 1080p. Remember the fastest console made, matches the 1060 and it runs games at 4k. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

11 minutes ago, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

What I want is a PC that will last me until the new generation of consoles drop with a new standard of graphics

Hahahahaha...  

Wat?  Consoles lag generations behind mainstream gpus

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

2 minutes ago, Snapperx said:

That doesn't happen like that. Actually you should look at GPU release dates rather than console releases. For Nvidia it will be this year and probably 2020 again.
Also do you need the i3? If not why dont try to get a used 6GB?

This deal requires that I buy all arts as a package so no fine tuning the build unfortunately, it's their way or the highway. If we're talking GPU realese dates I guess it would be better to wait for the new 11XX-series, or 20XX whatever it will be called.

1 minute ago, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

This deal requires that I buy all arts as a package so no fine tuning the build unfortunately, it's their way or the highway. If we're talking GPU realese dates I guess it would be better to wait for the new 11XX-series, or 20XX whatever it will be called.

The highest probability is the 80 and 70 cards come out first, and are imposible to find for months. If you're looking at a 60, get a 1060. 

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Hahahahaha...  

Wat?  Consoles lag generations behind mainstream gpus

But developers target the plebs due to their numbers don't they? I figured the new generation would also mean a new milestone in graphics but maybe I got it wrong.

I don't think that the 1060 will be that bad i mean i think it would be holding up pretty well to the next generation's xx50

But if you want to pull the trigger i don't think it will be a good choice because Volta is coming in their way and you can expect it to roll out in middle of this year

btw how much does that i3 and 1060 costs?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Just now, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

But developers target the plebs due to their numbers don't they? I figured they would new generation would mean a milestone in graphics but maybe I got it wrong.

PC gamers outnumber console gamers, and PC gaming is the most influencial. Not saying consoles don't matter, look at enemy AI in games. Consoles tend to be a limiting factor, not one to make a new graphics card age poorly. 

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

1060 is more than fine, will last you years. Especially at 1080p. Remember the fastest console made, matches the 1060 and it runs games at 4k. 

For sure, what worries me is that 3GB Vram, new games swallow Vram like I swallow Vodka

Just now, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

If we're talking GPU realese dates I guess it would be better to wait for the new 11XX-series, or 20XX whatever it will be called

Will be called 11XX. What I was trying to say is that consoles don't suddenly set standards for PC graphics.

5 minutes ago, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

This deal requires that I buy all arts as a package so no fine tuning the build unfortunately,

I am asking if you need the i3 to determine if you could do well without it and rather get the 1060 6GB

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

matches the 1060 and it runs games at 4k

1060 6GB version. Yes.

3 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

I don't think that the 1060 will be that bad i mean i think it would be holding up pretty well to the next generation's xx50

But if you want to pull the trigger i don't think it will be a good choice because Volta is coming in their way and you can expect it to roll out in middle of this year

btw how much does that i3 and 1060 costs?

It's a complete build for about 600 in US dollars which is great where I live. Good point, maybe I should wait and see it's just this offer really got me hard

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

The highest probability is the 80 and 70 cards come out first, and are imposible to find for months.

But the release might still drop the price especially in the used market of 10 series cards.

4 minutes ago, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

But developers target the plebs due to their numbers don't they? I figured the new generation would also mean a new milestone in graphics but maybe I got it wrong.

You get it wrong. Thats why on the PC you have graphic options that are higher than console ones.

VRAM is always blown out of proportion. It's not completely marketing, but closer than not. If you have a 3g card, just watch the settings and resolution. Most of the time you won't be able to see the difference in game, but your card will be happier.

Ultra settings are not what they used to be, running high settings is almost always the best option if running a midrange card. 

Just now, Snapperx said:

But the release might still drop the price especially in the used market of 10 series cards.

The opposite usually happens. I bought a 290 Vapor X for 280 bucks off Newegg brand new, after the 390 it jumped up to almost 500. Then my 980ti Hybrid jumped 300 bucks in price after the 1080 launched.

Most of the time a new architecture raises the price of the architecture it replaces. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

VRAM is always blown out of proportion. It's not completely marketing, but closer than not. If you have a 3g card, just watch the settings and resolution. Most of the time you won't be able to see the difference in game, but your card will be happier.

Ultra settings are not what they used to be, running high settings is almost always the best option if running a midrange card. 

I guess I can always upgrade in the future, but then again if I chill for a couple of months the price might drop as nVidia launch their new series

5 minutes ago, Snapperx said:

Will be called 11XX. What I was trying to say is that consoles don't suddenly set standards for PC graphics.

I am asking if you need the i3 to determine if you could do well without it and rather get the 1060 6GB

1060 6GB version. Yes.

Sry I don't follow what you're asking about the i3?

Sry I don't follow what you're asking about the i3?

If you need it. I am asking if you need everything in that build or just a new GPU as you might be better off just buying a used GPU for that price and keep your old system.

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

The opposite usually happens. I bought a 290 Vapor X for 280 bucks off Newegg brand new, after the 390 it jumped up to almost 500. Then my 980ti Hybrid jumped 300 bucks in price after the 1080 launched.

Most of the time a new architecture raises the price of the architecture it replaces. 

Weird, maybe I should save up for a 1160 build next year although the wait will be agonizing.

28 minutes ago, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

The 1060 3 GB card has no reason to exist

Would highly suggest you pick up a cheap R3 2200G system for around $400 and save the rest for a next generation GPU in a few months

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

11 minutes ago, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

It's a complete build for about 600 in US dollars which is great where I live

yeah it is actually good, how much ram and storage does it have?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

4 minutes ago, Snapperx said:

If you need it. I am asking if you need everything in that build or just a new GPU as you might be better off just buying a used GPU for that price and keep your old system.

Well my current rig is old the only salvageable parts would be the HDD (yeah no SSD) and the chassis so I'd rather just get a new build. It's about time tbh

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

yeah it is actually good, how much ram and storage does it have?

8GB RAM and 240Gb SSD no operating system though but w/e

I agree with @Streetguru. If you're on a budget, but really want a system now, grab an R3 or R5 with integrated graphics and run that for now.

Then you'll have more money saved to grab an 1160.

There's an i3, 8GB of RAM, and a motherboard on eBay right now for...$160ish I think? You could grab that and just use your GTX.

12 minutes ago, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

It's a complete build for about 600 in US dollars which is great where I live. Good point, maybe I should wait and see it's just this offer really got me hard

That's a really odd, and frankly disturbing way of saying it excited you.

12 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yes and no. With the 1060 it actually differentiates a worse card from a better one.

3 minutes ago, Ctrl Alt Petite said:

Weird, maybe I should save up for a 1160 build next year although the wait will be agonizing.

It won't be a year until the 1160 is released...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

I agree with @Streetguru. If you're on a budget, but really want a system now, grab an R3 or R5 with integrated graphics and run that for now.

Then you'll have more money saved to grab an 1160.

Remember how many times WCCF and others have called the "next generation of cards", since before the 1070ti.

This borders on the "always waiting" logic loop. If you wait for the 1160, why not wait for the 680 form AMD, then the 1260 will be talked about, only to have the 780 sooooo cloooose.

Meh, if you have the oportunity to grab a good card (the 3g 1060 borders on losing that status I admit) for a good price (the most imortant bit) do it. Better to game, rather than be waiting to game.