Laptop GPU defective or not? (multiple ghosting images)

johannesdoedelmans

Hey guys,

I have a laptop (lenovo ideapad s510p) with multiple images on the screen overlapping at some points.
It does this in windows, uefi bios, linux live disc, memtest, other bootable programs with or without the harddisk, so it's not a driver problem.
At first a power reset would help to resolve the problem and the problem stayed away for a couple of days, but now it only helps for a couple of minutes, if it helps at all. Most of the time it doesn't anymore. And just right now it was not working, I rebooted (using a mouse, not touching the laptop so nothing could have wiggled on it's place or something and it was fine again)
At one point, deleting the windows driver helped but when I rebooted windows, the lenovo logo was already quadruple again.
At another point, a power reset didn't work, but reseating the ram did, it was good until I tried to run memtest. Memtest froze and after powering off and on again the screen was weird again, so I assumed ram might be the suspect, but changing ram didn't help and a second memtest try did work, and didn't give any error running for over an hour.

I assumed the GPU is defective, but when hooking up an external monitor this one works just fine. So it can't be the gpu right?

Flexing the screen, pushing everywhere or shaking the laptop doesn't change a thing. Not when it's good, and not when it's bad.

I've even had it happen that the lenovo bootup logo was acting weird, quadrupe, or with other gpu glitches, but the normal windows boot was fine, and the other way around.

Anything else I can try?

20180419_212518.jpg

Sending it in for repairs?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

It's 4 years old, no more warranty.

Sure, I can always send it in for repair, but that's the easy way out