How Screwed Am I?

MahtXL

So unfortunately the isp im with has to run there service through bell owned lines, which is basically the case canada wide, any isp that isnt bell or rogers, still has to use their lines, they own the net infra. tldr everythings good on my isp's end, and on my end, but something on the bell line is causing packet loss of 4 percent, and ping spikes up to 2k ms. They sent the ticket off the bell, but being bell ive no faith they can or will fix the problem, im the only one in this middle of nowhere town doing anything that would even allow me to notice the problem (ie gaming online, heavy streaming etc) so i doubt im very high priority, as im sure im the only one complaining.

How boned am i? Is it shop for an isp time, or is this easily fixable? Its been 2 weeks with this issue and im about fed up with it. i cant do ANYTHING for more than an hour without some sort of problem that mucks it all up and angers me to the point of not even wanting to bother trying. Its like being stuck in the 90s, any video will conk out and choke, twitch, you guessed it, conks out and chokes, online gaming? HAH in my dreams.

Pretty sure the tech and myself covered all the bases we could (new router etc) and its on bells shoulders, but you never know, could be someone on this forum who could help to get things moving along. Was told bell would look at it within 24 hours and YOU GUESSED IT, not a single update from them in 12 hours and counting, which doesnt surprise me really, its why im on here asking for advice. And the weekend is coming up, so im even more worried they will sweep it under the rug until monday, if they even bother to look into it.

Im assuming this is mostly out of my hands at this point, but a new isp is tempting, sadly the only options are little companies that use bells lines. or rogers. dont need another 600 dollar "over the data cap" bill on a DATA CAP FREE PLAN again, so pass on those idiots. and rogers still doesnt offer no data cap in my area, and their speeds are awful here *sigh* i hate canadian internet. you murricans are LUCKY, id take comcast over this nonsense. our isp's still think 5mbps is "speedy" and they actually consider 30 to be "lightning fast" oh. okay. maybe 20 years ago.

what do?

ping.PNG

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

Well. I had CenturyLink which is a pure garbage isp. Now have Comcast which, while evil, is dependable evil.

Sometimes you give your ISP the finger instead of your cash.

10 hours ago, MahtXL said:

d take comcast over this nonsense.

Comcast has data caps in many areas. You gotta pay $50 on top of what your paying to get "unlimited". Comcast also is known for throttling services, thats why Net neutrality was imposed, so once its repealed I expect they will go back to their old tricks. So we got the same level of nonsense. OH and for many American ISP's, you have to expect price increases twice a year. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Comcast has data caps in many areas. You gotta pay $50 on top of what your paying to get "unlimited". Comcast also is known for throttling services, thats why Net neutrality was imposed, so once its repealed I expect they will go back to their old tricks. So we got the same level of nonsense. OH and for many American ISP's, you have to expect price increases twice a year. 

atleast you have ACTUAL speed. i cant even stream because my upload is 0.6. Yes. 0.6. You gotta pick your battles, and honestly americans have NOTHING to compain about internet wise, come live up here for a while and you will return home with renewed respect for the service you do have access to. We have 2 choices here, get fu**ed by bell, or get fu**ed by rogers. You can go to a smaller company sure BUT GUESS WHO OWNS THE LINES AND SERVERS SUCKERS. Yeah, atleast you guys have options, our "options" are basically whos going to bend you over less. and trust me, this data capless internet we have is RARE. and the speeds SUCK compared to the capped plans. And dont even get me started on the 7 times i had to call and yell to stop throttling my speeds before they finally gave up. Its illegal here but do bell and rogers or any other isp care? Of course not, they can still get away with it all they want. Even more so on capped plans, they just love to sell capped plans and throttle you to oblivion if you go even 1mb over. Contrary to popular belief the grass is not greener on the other side, its equally as bad IF NOT WORSE, and id lean on worse, up here.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

7 hours ago, MahtXL said:

and honestly americans have NOTHING to compain about internet wise

Back up the choo choo train. We dont got nothing to complain about. How about any one who lives in a rural area is pretty much stuck on 3 Mbps DSL. The only people in the US who have those speeds are us smart ones who live in the city. So yeah, some of us do have something to complain about. Some people here only have an option of Satellite or LTE internet. 

7 hours ago, MahtXL said:

We have 2 choices here,

I have one choice. Comcast. AT&T decided to not serve our area any more. So Comcast can charge what ever they want. Last I checked Comcast won the golden poo award for being the worst company in America 2 years in a row. 

21 hours ago, braneopbru said:

If there's Bell lines, there's Bell service. Skip the middleman and go straight to Bell?

Because if the lines are a problem, be it Bell or a TPIA, then Bell has to fix it.  A ticket is a ticket.

And yeah, TPIA's are cheaper than incumbents.

My GF has Comcast and they are terrible.  She has a coax cable running through the middle of he living room (seriously) and they refuse to fix it. Her 80 year old mom tripped over it last time she visited. She was only getting 1/2 the speed she was paying for, I finally had them come out when I was there and they miraculously found the problem (after I proved to them it was their fault).  My GF pays more than I do and gets less speed and garbage service.    I'm very lucky, my ISP has 1GB service and their customer service is great but they're not widespread.

1 minute ago, Bladehawk said:

coax cable running through the middle of he living room (seriously) and they refuse to fix it

Generally they will not touch in door wiring as its not technically their problem. They are truly only responsible for the wiring from the grounding block outside her home to whats on the pole. They actually charge extra for doing indoor wiring. Also, they use the shittiest contractors they can get their hands on. Im fortunate that the Comcast network where I live is at least taken care of. As I get 20% more speed then we pay for.