Asus Arez

NumLock21
2 hours ago, Sakkura said:

But Nvidia would not have been pushing the GPP in that situation. Getting AMD shunted onto unknown new brands is the whole point; it gives Nvidia the entire benefit of the marketing efforts invested into the existing brands over the past years, while AMD (with the board partners) has to start from scratch.

Maybe/maybe not,  the thing is it doesn't change how businesses operate.  We are literally trying to insinuate a motive for an operation that follows typical business trends.  Remember it's not AMD that has to start from scratch with a new brand, it's the AIB partners.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Maybe/maybe not,  the thing is it doesn't change how businesses operate.  We are literally trying to insinuate a motive for an operation that follows typical business trends.  Remember it's not AMD that has to start from scratch with a new brand, it's the AIB partners.  

It's both. And it certainly leaves the small fish in a bad position; no maybe.

Any and all attempts to presume Nvidia ignorant or innocent in their decision making should be disregarded. Why? You'd be making ostriches envious and we wouldn't want that.

3 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

It's both. And it certainly leaves the small fish in a bad position; no maybe.

Any and all attempts to presume Nvidia ignorant or innocent in their decision making should be disregarded. Why? You'd be making ostriches envious and we wouldn't want that.

ostriches are just penguins with an EMU complex. xD

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

when i was little and had no idea anything about graphics cards, i wanted the one with a big monster sticker on the box and a name i knew. 

I replaced my Radeon Xpress x200 with a Radeon x1300 with a passive radiator i believe. Something like that, for a 80-140 at bestbuy

So i think itll might actually have quite the impact on sales for uneducated folks, and kids.

14 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

when i was little and had no idea anything about graphics cards, i wanted the one with a big monster sticker on the box and a name i knew. 

I replaced my Radeon Xpress x200 with a Radeon x1300 with a passive radiator i believe. Something like that, for a 80-140 at bestbuy

So i think itll might actually have quite the impact on sales for uneducated folks, and kids.

Most people these days research before they buy.  Even average joe's with no experience or enthusiasm for the product research before they buy:

https://www.retaildive.com/news/why-researching-online-shopping-offline-is-the-new-norm/442754/

I would argue that when it comes to expensive PC components the likelihood of someone buying becasue of the pretty box/name is getting much rarer than it ever has been.

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Most people these days research before they buy.  Even average joe's with no experience or enthusiasm for the product research before they buy:

https://www.retaildive.com/news/why-researching-online-shopping-offline-is-the-new-norm/442754/

I would argue that when it comes to expensive PC components the likelihood of someone buying becasue of the pretty box/name is getting much rarer than it ever has been.

Idk, always manage to stump the sales people at the store who kinda need to know what theyre selling. Id imagine theyre above average consumer knowledge on a lot of stuff. 

I think the LTT community forum members are well beyond the knowledge of the average consumer.

For some reason the guys working electronics at walmart seem to know more than bestbuy.

Gaming branded cards outsell non-gaming branded ones by 3:1, so the name matters a lot.

I was in the local computer shop talking to them about ram. They were completely perplexed as to why anyone would need 64gb or 128gb ram, like ever. So yeah, im feeling pretty confident that the average consumer is dumb.

13 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Idk, always manage to stump the sales people at the store who kinda need to know what theyre selling. Id imagine theyre above average consumer knowledge on a lot of stuff. 

I think the LTT community forum members are well beyond the knowledge of the average consumer.

For some reason the guys working electronics at walmart seem to know more than bestbuy.

Sales people in retails stores are notorious for only knowing a little bit more than the average consumer, in some cases that knowledge is horridly wrong (like the guy in HN who told a customer the i3 had 3 cores the i5 had 5 cores and the i7 had 7 cores).  However the average LTT member would have way more knowledge than the average retail sales person.  Which I think is why that article I linked shows more people doing on research before they walk into a store.

A person savy enough to take a card out of their computer and put a new one in, are probably doing research.  People that don't know how to do this most of them buy from Dell and other OEM's those guys are the people that don't even know how to update drivers, at least with later windows those are done automatically too.

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Sales people in retails stores are notorious for only knowing a little bit more than the average consumer, in some cases that knowledge is horridly wrong (like the guy in HN who told a customer the i3 had 3 cores the i5 had 5 cores and the i7 had 7 cores).  However the average LTT member would have way more knowledge than the average retail sales person.  Which I think is why that article I linked shows more people doing on research before they walk into a store.

Tell me about it, I went into a gamespot about 15 years back was looking into buying a GF 4 ti, the guy showed me a Geforce 4 MX and said it was better lol.  I walked out of that store pretty quickly got on line and ordered online lol, I knew if people at gamespot are selling stuff like that, if I had any problems with it, they weren't going to solve anything for me lol.

I was in the local computer shop talking to them about ram. They were completely perplexed as to why anyone would need 64gb or 128gb ram, like ever. So yeah, im feeling pretty confident that the average consumer is dumb.

That's not fair,  I really hope you are using the word dumb to mean lacking of knowledge rather than the usual colloquial for lack of intelligence.   The average consumer knows nothing about the internal workings of a car but I would call them dumb.

15 minutes ago, mr moose said:

That's not fair,  I really hope you are using the word dumb to mean lacking of knowledge rather than the usual colloquial for lack of intelligence.   The average consumer knows nothing about the internal workings of a car but I would call them dumb.

So you would call them dumb for not knowing about the internal workings of a car? Jeez, so rude lol.

Sorry, I my day has been long and boring and I felt the need.

Honestly, I get the notion that a lot of the members fail to realize just how knowledgeable they are in comparison with the average consumer. I was talking today with a client and the gentleman kept referring to GB's and MHz interchangeably as though they were similar.

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

So you would call them dumb for not knowing about the internal workings of a car? Jeez, so rude lol.

Sorry, I my day has been long and boring and I felt the need.

Honestly, I get the notion that a lot of the member fail to realize just how knowledgeable they are in comparison with the average consumer. I was talking today with a client and kept referring to GB's and MHz interchangeably as though they were similar.

Shit, and again I have left the "n't" of  the end of a crucial verb.

Meant to read "I wouldn't call them dumb". 

We call that the Dunning Kruger effect (the bit in bold), the more you know about something the more you are aware of how much you don't know. The average joe thinks they know more than us, we think we know more than the manufactures/engineers./lawyers and so on. We are all guilty of that at some level.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Shit, and again I have left the "n't" of  the end of a crucial verb.

Meant to read "I wouldn't call them dumb". 

We call that the Dunning Kruger effect (the bit in bold), the more you know about something the more you are aware of how much you don't know. The average joe thinks they know more than us, we think we know more than the manufactures/engineers./lawyers and so on. We are all guilty of that at some level.

My professor made us study that as "You are not leaving my class as though you are smarter than someone else, as they most likely know more about something else than you do".