How to reduce core voltage usage on idle? (overclocked 8700k)

I've been the type of guy who for several years have been overclocking by following a very general overclocking guide for the specific CPU I am overclocking and once stable it has been a set and forget kind of thing. Recently I went from a ryzen 1700 to a i7 8700k and followed der8auer's overclocking guide, but this time I actually tried to delve slightly more into how the different settings actually work, mainly LLC settings vs core voltage. What bugs me is my idle core voltage (measured through cpu z) is at 1.296v and droops down to about 1.280 under load due to LLC. Isn't there a way to have the system reduce the core voltage on idle and increase under load? Windows power plan is at balanced, so my clocks are ramping up and down but sadly not the core voltage :(

Specs for my rig are: 8700k, 1080ti, 16gb 3200mhz ram, maximus x formula, axi 860w, 500gb intel 600p and I am cooling it all with a custom loop.

My overclocking settings are:

XMP

MCE off
avx -3

5ghz across all cores

CPU svid support off

LLC5

Long and short duration package power limit to max
CPU core/cache current limit max
min/max cpu cache ratio 42

BCLK aware adaptive voltage off

CPU core voltage override 1.31v

Sorry if this is a stupid question or has been answered before, but my google skills sadly aren't helping me much :(

wouldnt using adaptive voltage work?

also that 1.8 is a typo i guess?

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

20 minutes ago, Neftex said:

wouldnt using adaptive voltage work?

also that 1.8 is a typo i guess?

1.28v I meant obviously :D

well if you want low idle voltage and "manual" under load, i think adaptive voltage is the thing youre looking for.

for adaptive voltage to work you need to enable/set auto cpu svid, then enable adaptive. if you want less droop you need higher LLC iirc. its been a while since i overclocked so you better double check everything

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

the voltage doesnt really matter. its the voltage and amps together which = power. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

overclocking via manual mode grants you higher stability. (more precisely)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

10 hours ago, Jumper118 said:

the voltage doesnt really matter. its the voltage and amps together which = power. 

The thing about the voltage in idle that bugs me, is the idle temps are notably higher when overclocked. If voltage and amps together = power, can you please explain why idle temps go up even when usage is at basically 0%? Idle temps are around mid 30's and max temps hit around 70 under full prime95 load with small spikes in mid 70's but 95% of the time they stick around 65-70. I haven't delidded yet.

1 hour ago, Ardox said:

If voltage and amps together = power, can you please explain why idle temps go up even when usage is at basically 0%?

oh, he is right about this one, actually your CPU should consume 10A*x"your,vcore"=watts in idle. The 10A is dependent of your boards Powerdelivery, Software and PSU. You can lookup your CPU's power consumption in IDLE with HWMonitor or HWinfo.64.

Also Sensors are not accurate at IDLE temps, its a predictive calculation calibrated to be more precisely at higher temperatures, thats maybe the reason for you to get a higher reading, but ehrm never trust readings too much especially if they are at IDLE. Some Boards show IDLE readings below ambient temperatur when using an Air or Watercooler which is physically impossible.

This is my reading, i marked idle. My Vcore is 1.248, in the 3rd row you see 100% Load.

IDLEMAXpowa.jpg

If i now use adaptive voltage and the CPU reduces volts to ~0.8 in idle, my CPU's Power consumption would still be 8Watts. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

1 hour ago, Ardox said:

The thing about the voltage in idle that bugs me, is the idle temps are notably higher when overclocked. If voltage and amps together = power, can you please explain why idle temps go up even when usage is at basically 0%? Idle temps are around mid 30's and max temps hit around 70 under full prime95 load with small spikes in mid 70's but 95% of the time they stick around 65-70. I haven't delidded yet.

Idle temps don't matter. It might be using 10w instead of 5w.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016