EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 running hot???

PackYourBaggins

So I've been playing Far Cry 5 a ton the last week, and everything seemed fine, but then outta curiosity today, I opened EVGA Precision X to look at my temps while playing, and it was a bit alarming. My GPU is NOT overclocked at all, and I have the preset fan curve profile set to "Aggressive", but my temps were going as high as 77C, and I was seeing small throttles because of it. I'm playing at max settings (Motion blur off), on a 1440p G-Sync monitor. I checked my case fans as well as the GPU fans, and they all seem to be working fine, and not even 2 weeks ago I dusted my PC!

System specs:

i7 4770K

32GB 2400Mhz RAM

EVGA 1080 Ti SC2

ASUS Maximus VI Formula motherboard

Corsair 1000 watt PSU

Drivers are up-to-date

Am I freaking out over nothing, is there reason for concern?

EDIT: Forgot my case. It's a Cooler Master Storm Stryker, which is known for having good airflow.

77C is fine, I wouldn't worry really.

Does you mum know you're here?

1 minute ago, VVoltor said:

77C is fine, I wouldn't worry really.

I'm not entirely sure. I was reading a thread on the EVGA forums, and OP said that at stock settings (on the same card) he ran Unigine Heaven at 4K, and his card only got up to 67C, and then after overclocking, it only reached 78C at 4K. Why is my card running hotter at a lower resolution, just playing a game, while this other person ran a benchmarking program, and got lower temps? It just doesn't make sense to me.

2 minutes ago, RelentlessN7 said:

I'm not entirely sure. I was reading a thread on the EVGA forums, and OP said that at stock settings (on the same card) he ran Unigine Heaven at 4K, and his card only got up to 67C, and then after overclocking, it only reached 78C at 4K. Why is my card running hotter at a lower resolution, just playing a game, while this other person ran a benchmarking program, and got lower temps? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Not every card is the same, some run hotter than others. Also, you'll have to take airflow and ambient temps in consideration.

Again, 77C for a GPU is absolutely fine and you don't have to worry.

1 minute ago, VVoltor said:

Not every card is the same, some run hotter than others. Also, you'll have to take airflow and ambient temps in consideration.

Again, 77C for a GPU is absolutely fine and you don't have to worry.

My ambient temp is around 73F, and my case is a Cooler Master Storm Stryker, which has excellent airflow. And again in the other thread, that guy's ambient temps he says were 77F, and his case was that triangular Alienware case, which from what I hear has terrible airflow.

3 minutes ago, RelentlessN7 said:

My ambient temp is around 73F, and my case is a Cooler Master Storm Stryker, which has excellent airflow. And again in the other thread, that guy's ambient temps he says were 77F, and his case was that triangular Alienware case, which from what I hear has terrible airflow.

My FTW3 gets to 75c under full load.

Like VVoltor said, it really depends on multiple factors on how warm/cool the card runs. The main one being the airflow of the case and the ambient temperature of your room. For me, I usually have a very high ambient temperature, and that's the issue right there.

9 minutes ago, RelentlessN7 said:

And you have the same fans? At the same fan speed? As I said, some cards need a little more power to reach a certain speed. Maybe the other guy won the silicon lottery, doesn't mean anything is wrong with your system.

30 minutes ago, DarkKnightVFX said:

My FTW3 gets to 75c under full load.

Like VVoltor said, it really depends on multiple factors on how warm/cool the card runs. The main one being the airflow of the case and the ambient temperature of your room. For me, I usually have a very high ambient temperature, and that's the issue right there.

23 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

And you have the same fans? At the same fan speed? As I said, some cards need a little more power to reach a certain speed. Maybe the other guy won the silicon lottery, doesn't mean anything is wrong with your system.

Alright then. I suppose Far Cry 5 is just that demanding then. In any other game I've played, I've never seen my card go above 65C. That includes games like GTA 5, Witcher 3, Battlefield 1 & Dark Souls 3, just to name a few other demanding titles I play. So when I saw my GPU at 77C in Far Cry 5, I got proper spooked. I'm also setting a more aggressive fan curve in Precision X, so maybe that'll help.