Network switching from Gigabit to 100 Mbps randomly

Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
2 minutes ago, oscar7601 said:

AFAIK ethernet cables don't wear over less than one year...

And I used not to have any problems before.

About the gigabit Ethernet cards, I'm using the ports of the motherboards so... I'd be surprized if they were the center of the problem. 

Don't you agree?

If the ethernet-cables were of poor quality or frayed inside or similar, any change in the environment could have introduced enough jitter in the signal to cause the cards to try dropping speed in order to stabilize it. Also, yes, motherboard NICs can and do fail, you wouldn't be the first one.

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble with a setup which worked very well previously.

Here's how my network is setup at home :

5ad4e773de96d_Gigabitethernetproblem.jpg.42871ece7835dd66533b64b7216b5e10.jpg

I'm having trouble sending large amounts of data from my gaming PC to my NAS because the network switches from gigabit to 100 Mbps every single time I load the network. For example, if I just send a 200 MB file it will send it at a speed above 100 Mbps (depending on how fast the HDDs read and write).

But every single time I start a LARGE transfer (for example 500 GB) then after a minute or two the network disconnects and reconnects as 100 Mbps speed.

This is super annoying... Could you please help me troubleshoot this issue?

Get two new gigabit ethernet-cards and see if the problem gets fixed. Also, try replacing the cables going from your PC and NAS to the switch.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Get two new gigabit ethernet-cards and see if the problem gets fixed. Also, try replacing the cables going from your PC and NAS to the switch.

About the gigabit Ethernet cards, I'm using the ports of the motherboards so... I'd be surprized if they were the center of the problem. 

Don't you agree?

Do you have another computer to test with?

I would guess it is one of these NIC on your computer network cable or switch.

Do easy things first.
if you have a spare cable swap it between your computer and the switch.

Update your network card drivers.

Look at the switch during the a large transfer, see if the lights do anything strange when the network kills over. In theory you should only see your computer link die for a bit then come back.

2 minutes ago, oscar7601 said:

Don't you agree?

If the ethernet-cables were of poor quality or frayed inside or similar, any change in the environment could have introduced enough jitter in the signal to cause the cards to try dropping speed in order to stabilize it. Also, yes, motherboard NICs can and do fail, you wouldn't be the first one.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

You seem to be right about the cables! :D Thanks a lot.

I'm hoping this will last working! I'll write back if I experience issues again :)