How to pack a desktop computer for shipping?

Go to solution Solved by mariyaminks,

Its pretty simple

1. Unplug all cables from cabinate.

2. Wrap cabinate with a plastic.

3. Use thermocol to cover cabinate from all side 

4. Seal it with a salo tape 

5. Use plastic bubble to cover from outer side to provide additional protection.

6. Place it in a carton 

There are several courier companies like UPS, USPS, DHL, FedEx and many other whose courier charges are much cheaper.

I'm shipping out a desktop  for a friend but I want her to be able to go on it right away. I heard that you have to remove any GPU and the cooler in order for it to arrive in one piece but I just don't want to spend like $200 in shipping total. Any suggestions that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!. I'm using a cooler master lite 3

Usually if you can stick a sheet or something in the case to provide some padding around the GPU and CPU cooler and you should be fine. Beyond that, you should be good to just pack it in the case box.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

You can try to find some expanding foam bag things at places like Home Depot or Lowes, that's what we use to ship industrial controls panels at work.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

27 minutes ago, TrueCanadian said:

I'm shipping out a desktop  for a friend but I want her to be able to go on it right away. I heard that you have to remove any GPU and the cooler in order for it to arrive in one piece but I just don't want to spend like $200 in shipping total. Any suggestions that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!. I'm using a cooler master lite 3

or use instapak or something to hold it all together. Really as long as you have some form of cushioning on the outside of the case you should be fine.

"Shashabooey" - Po

1 hour ago, CloroxBleach57 said:

or use instapak or something to hold it all together. Really as long as you have some form of cushioning on the outside of the case you should be fine.

Any place where I can get instapack? 

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Usually if you can stick a sheet or something in the case to provide some padding around the GPU and CPU cooler and you should be fine. Beyond that, you should be good to just pack it in the case box.

@Crunchy Dragon What do you recommend? 

Personally I generally use the computer case box, as that tends top be pretty top notch.

Could always add some instapack if you want the insides to stay intact.

3 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Would expanding foam in a can work for what im doing b/c instapaks are way too expensive?

25 minutes ago, TrueCanadian said:

Would expanding foam in a can work for what im doing b/c instapaks are way too expensive?

It might, although I personally would advise against it. A normal bedsheet should work

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, TrueCanadian said:

https://www.amazon.com/EcoBox-Inches-Instapak-Temperature-2032-1/dp/B00KAFU2SK/ref=pd_sim_328_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00KAFU2SK&pd_rd_r=RMKZEB5PENV07RDCQXP3&pd_rd_w=CN79g&pd_rd_wg=OOCU6&psc=1&refRID=RMKZEB5PENV07RDCQXP3

10 USD

the ones in a can would just stick to everything inside the case and would be annoying to get off. i think homedepot sell the can foam for like $10 too

Before you go ahead, you must let us know if you are shipping international or between provinces/states. 

If you are going international, your best bet is to remove everything and do it separate because custom will open up your PC packaging if they detect something odd, which happens more often. The scans can't really make out all the strange wiring and stuff if its all jumbled up. 

^ very true.. This topic keeps haunting me, as I've always wanted to do a proper video guide on shipping a custom PC and YouTube is filled with very poor advice on this topic. The systems I ship are one-of-a-kind and very expensive, but you can apply my tips to ANYTHING of value to you.

1. Pack the PC in the original case carton, but you place that carton in another carton (or wood crate) 50 times larger in a pool of bubble wrap. This will help isolate the PC from external impact. If PC has custom liquid cooling and Recipient insists you leave loop filled (bad idea), then you strap the PC (in carton I described above) onto a commercial skid and have it shipped FREIGHT. This forces delivery company to use hand trucks or forklift truck for moving the PC, versus the Delivery Driver potentially dropping it.

These tips are mandatory, they will protect you! in case you need to file a Claim.

2. Take photos of the PC inside/out.

3. Take photos of the PC packed inside the carton

4. Take photos of outside of carton, (all sides)

5. Attach list of all parts purchased and their retail prices to the carton.

6. Insure the PC for current market replacement value of the parts and software, INCLUDING value of your time to assemble the PC (again).

Yes, using larger carton or freight service will cost more in shipping, but I goto bed knowing I did the very best I could to protect that PC.

This video @ 2:00 shows the wood crate I made for BF1 Tank PC

17 years of helping you void your warranty

19 hours ago, RandomGuy13 said:

Fill it with bubble wrap, air bags or foam balls / packing peanuts, Make sure all screws are tight on the GPU and on the side panels.

Make sure there is some protection against on the corners of the case, if you have the retail packaging for the case that is the best. otherwise wrap the whole case in some bubble wrap.

Bad idea. All of those can be a source of ESD which can zap components to oblivion.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1.Set the computer in a tub with tiny risers

2. Mix up a full tub of plaster seperately

3. Pour the plaster into the second tub

Let dry, box, and ship.

Its pretty simple

1. Unplug all cables from cabinate.

2. Wrap cabinate with a plastic.

3. Use thermocol to cover cabinate from all side 

4. Seal it with a salo tape 

5. Use plastic bubble to cover from outer side to provide additional protection.

6. Place it in a carton 

There are several courier companies like UPS, USPS, DHL, FedEx and many other whose courier charges are much cheaper.