Would I regret going for an AMD GPU in my build vs going with an NVIDIA GPU?

Geekazoid
Go to solution Solved by brob,

GPU rendering in SVP is spotty at best. Due to an architectural change, SVP only uses a fraction of the available CUDA in new generations of nVidia cards. And according to a note in http://www.hyperactivemusic.com/vegaspro/vegaspro.html, the sofware also has trouble with 7xxx and higher AMD cards.

Hey guys,

I keep finding myself thinking back and forth about going the AMD GPU route vs going down the NVIDIA route like I've always done. My PC will be mostly for video editing and I currently use Sony Vegas Pro 10 but will be upgrading to Sony Vegas Pro 12 with my upgrade to take advantage of the GPU since Vegas Pro 10 doesn't currently do that too well. From most benchmarks that I've seen AMD GPUs seem to fair quite substantially better in comparison to NVIDIA GPUs in SVP 12. What do you guys think, what would you all do in my situation?

Thanks in advance for your help guys :).

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

If the AMD GPUs perform better and have a better price to performance, you won't regret it. Right now because of mining coins, AMD cards are uber expensive, so you'll have to do the math.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

If you are likely to do mining, then you will certainly not regret AMD!. I think NVIDIA is made for you .   

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

If you are likely to do mining, then you will certainly not regret AMD!. I think NVIDIA is made for you .

Nope, I'm no miner at all, no need to factor that in. It would be great if there was a video demoing the, say, AMD R9 270X when editing on the SVP 12 timeline vs doing the same, say, on a GTX 760. This would help me a lot. But

I realise such a video probably doesn't exist. Just wishful thinking.

Your comment is a tad confusing. You say that I won't regret going with AMD yet then you say "I think NVIDIA is made for you". Are you just going off my original post?

Nope, I'm no miner at all, no need to factor that in. It would be great if there was a video demoing the, say, AMD R9 270X when editing on the SVP 12 timeline vs doing the same, say, on a GTX 760. This would help me a lot. But

I realise such a video probably doesn't exist. Just wishful thinking.

assuming that you game, just go with NVIDIA. 780 if you have the money. or the 760

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

I'll add a poll for an overall view of what you guys think I should do (please no bias opinions please).

GPU rendering in SVP is spotty at best. Due to an architectural change, SVP only uses a fraction of the available CUDA in new generations of nVidia cards. And according to a note in http://www.hyperactivemusic.com/vegaspro/vegaspro.html, the sofware also has trouble with 7xxx and higher AMD cards.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

GPU rendering in SVP is spotty at best. Due to an architectural change, SVP only uses a fraction of the available CUDA in new generations of nVidia cards. And according to a note in http://www.hyperactivemusic.com/vegaspro/vegaspro.html, the sofware also has trouble with 7xxx and higher AMD cards.

So by architectural change I assume you mean the change to completely 64bit, yes?

@brob, I think those results pretty much answer my question, I'm sticking with NVIDIA. Thanks for that :).

Got the results I wanted so I decided to delete the poll. NVIDIA seems to still be the best choice, wasn't expecting that.