Favorite piece of tech under $100?

AWayne

Hey LTT community,

So I recently won a contest and got $100 for it. I've contemplated just saving it, but I think I'm going to spend it on one of my good buddies. I was wondering if any of you guys have a go-to tech piece that you couldn't live without that is at or under $100. He is a gamer, and spends a lot of time at his laptop. Some things that have come to mind are wireless mice/keyboards, mechanical keyboards, chromecast ultra, led light strips. Yea anything that would be cool to have or super nice would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!

(Edit): Meant to put this in general discussion, but apparently I must have put it in new builds and planning... not sure how to switch it.

Two Chromecast Audio units. Hella worth.

Otherwise, Shure SE215 or two pairs of Tin T2 or Carbo Tenors. IEMs are the daily audio product I can't live without. 

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Two Chromecast Audio units. Hella worth.

Otherwise, Shure SE215 or two pairs of Tin T2. IEMs are the daily audio product I can't live without. 

Hey thanks! Nice options for the audio side, why do you recommend the Chromecast Audio so heartily? I've seen similar devices like This bluetooth transmitter that seem to do more? Just wondering why you enjoy the audio so much!

4 minutes ago, AWayne said:

Hey LTT community,

So I recently won a contest and got $100 for it. I've contemplated just saving it, but I think I'm going to spend it on one of my good buddies. I was wondering if any of you guys have a go-to tech piece that you couldn't live without that is at or under $100. He is a gamer, and spends a lot of time at his laptop. Some things that have come to mind are wireless mice/keyboards, mechanical keyboards, chromecast ultra, led light strips. Yea anything that would be cool to have or super nice would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!

A good side gift would be (if they have a compatible android phone) an OTG cable, or a Bluetooth headset. for main gifts I would get one of the following an Amazon  Echo, Amazon Kindle, or a Roku.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

4 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

A good side gift would be (if they have a compatible android phone) an OTG cable, or a Bluetooth headset. for main gifts I would get one of the following an Amazon  Echo, Amazon Kindle, or a Roku.

Awesome idea with the OTG cable, that seems to have a lot of possibilities! And I contemplated the Roku, curious as to why you recommend that over a Chromecast?

8 minutes ago, AWayne said:

Hey thanks! Nice options for the audio side, why do you recommend the Chromecast Audio so heartily? I've seen similar devices like This bluetooth transmitter that seem to do more? Just wondering why you enjoy the audio so much!

BT is fine but I prefer CC Audio because of the simplicity, ease of setup, and the cross device experience. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

BT is fine but I prefer CC Audio because of the simplicity, ease of setup, and the cross device experience. 

Good Point, Thanks for the quick response!

If your friend has never pressed a mechanical keyboard's switches, you should definitely give that a shot. Sooooo satisfying... (can't really recommend you one since I haven't owned a popular branded mech keyboard but you can search online for reviews on the different ones. Also, I know from Wal-Mart, the feeling of a mech keyboard because they had one on display:P)

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

Just now, AWayne said:

Awesome idea with the OTG cable, that seems to have a lot of possibilities! And I contemplated the Roku, curious as to why you recommend that over a Chromecast?

I don't have much experience with a chrome cast, but Roku has multi-platform compatibility, a light OS, some have MIRA cast. But the main thing is that they are intuitive, reliable, have long term support (my families units from 2012 sill occasionally receive updates),the fact that they still have casting features for youtube, and etc. All and all their stuff has a ton of features, (fewer apps than google or amazon, but still an extensive library), but when you sit down to watch tv you want something easy and convenient and in that field the Roku boxes, and sticks really seam to deliver. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

AKG K240 Headphones

Kindle Paperwhite

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

15 minutes ago, AWayne said:

And the features just go on esp. if you get the ultra model for $100. P.S. it also comes with earbuds!

14 minutes ago, Jasun said:

If your friend has never pressed a mechanical keyboard's switches, you should definitely give that a shot. Sooooo satisfying... (can't really recommend you one since I haven't owned a popular branded mech keyboard but you can search online for reviews on the different ones. Also, I know from Wal-Mart, the feeling of a mech keyboard because they had one on display:P)

Yea I would definitely need him to test some out

13 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I don't have much experience with a chrome cast, but Roku has multi-platform compatibility, a light OS, some have MIRA cast. But the main thing is that they are intuitive, reliable, have long term support (my families units from 2012 sill occasionally receive updates),the fact that they still have casting features for youtube, and etc. All and all their stuff has a ton of features, (fewer apps than google or amazon, but still an extensive library), but when you sit down to watch tv you want something easy and convenient and in that field the Roku boxes, and sticks really seam to deliver. 

Awesome, yea if I go with a streaming device ill probably go with Roku then

why not a $100 steam wallet code?

~~~My Desktop~~~

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 6400 Custom Clocked to 3.1Ghz, TurboBoost Disabled

Motherboard: MSI H110M PRO-VD

RAM: Kingston 16GB 2133Mhz

GPU: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GAMING X

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 3.5' 1TB Internal Hardisk (WD10EZEX)

Display: LG 20M35

Keyboard: AULA SI-886 MECHANICAL GAMING KEYBOARD 104KEYS Non-Backlit LED with Blue Switches

Mouse: Alcatroz X-Craft Noiz Z8000 Gaming Mouse

Sound: LOGITECH Z313 SPEAKER SYSTEM

Operating System: WINDOWS 10 PRO

PCPartPicker URL: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CFYmP3

~~~My Laptop~~~

Model: ASUS K55VD

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 3210M Processor

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz (one RAM slot dead... RIP)

GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® 610M with 2GB DDR3 VRAM

Storage: 500GB 5400rpm

Operating System: WINDOWS 10 PRO

On 4/13/2018 at 9:38 PM, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Do you currently use the Echo?

3 hours ago, AWayne said:

Do you currently use the Echo?

Unfortunately no, I only use the Echo Dot.

Mine’s a little insane. My favourite piece of tech for under $100 is a secondhand desktop machine. I like trying to see how much I can max them out on the cheap. My current toy is an old $30 Prime Systems school desktop. Since the board accepts any and all LGA775 CPUs, I gave it a cheap ($5) Xeon chip and I’ll shove in a $10 GTX 750 that I found in a thrift store. :3

Side note: This will be the second time that I caught a GTX 750 at the local thrift store, I wonder where these things are coming from. lol

Resident smart (car) fanatic and lover of trijet airliners. One day you'll probably see me on one of those "Hoarders" shows, only I'm buried under a pile of 50 smart cars.

Rigs (all named after aircraft )

- DC-10-60 (GTX 1060 Gaming Machine)
- Falcon 550TI (GTX 550 TI Fun ITX Build)

- Legacy 630 (Convertible Desktop/Laptop Experiment)

- A340-750 (Dual Xeon GTX 750 Sleeper)

19 hours ago, Ms Mercedes - Trijet Girl said:

Mine’s a little insane. My favourite piece of tech for under $100 is a secondhand desktop machine. I like trying to see how much I can max them out on the cheap. My current toy is an old $30 Prime Systems school desktop. Since the board accepts any and all LGA775 CPUs, I gave it a cheap ($5) Xeon chip and I’ll shove in a $10 GTX 750 that I found in a thrift store. :3

Side note: This will be the second time that I caught a GTX 750 at the local thrift store, I wonder where these things are coming from. lol

Wow very unique use of $100! This would be a great little challenge to do!