60hz Gsync vs 1440p >120hz

Hi all,

I need some advice. I just built a pretty powerful gaming rig (delidded i7-7700k 1080 ti). With this I play titles such as pubg, assetto corsa, csgo, fortnite, etc.. I just bought an AOC Ag271ug (60hz/4k/IPS/Gsync). With such a powerful rig most of my games have stable FPS in the 100's at 4k. I was told that my monitor wont show more than 60 fps though. Am I wasting the power of this GPU with this monitor. 

Should I trade a 4k 60hz gsync for a 1440p >120hz non gsync monitor? 

Lastly, if I do decide to keep the 60hz aoc should i be leaving gsync on if my fps is constantly pushing 100+ fps on most of the games i play?

Also, if I were to lower the resolution to 1080p on my games will I be able to see more fps (For example some monitors are 60hz at 4k but 144 hz at 1080p)? There really isnt any screen tearing or anything. It just seems like there is some lag in first person shooters when trying to shoot a gun accurately but really I dont have anything to compare to, which is why I am asking.

I just dont understand how my 60hz monitor is displaying 100+ fps on my in game overlays. Am I really seeing 100+ fps or is my monitor cutting it off at 60fps and I am not getting the most out of my gpu? 

Sorry for the long explanation but it is really hard to explain the concerns I have for my current setup. 

I attached pictures of my rig and the monitor for some eye candy, as linus was really my main inspiration for building an ultimate gaming rig.20180327_195717.thumb.jpg.e0162d301d1d6def00bbba5aa3d06b68.jpg

20180327_195828.jpg

20180327_195843.jpg

Firstly, I'd suggest going with the 144hz monitor, as 60hz is not going to show you the full potential of the 1080Ti.

Secondly, the game IS running at more than 60fps, it's just the monitor isn't showing it off fully. E.g running games at 200fps, but monitor showing 60fps (60hz).
Thirdly, if the monitor panel is 60hz, then IT'S 60hz at every resolution. It's not like a TV like Linus recently made a video about. See this post: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3061727/monitor-60hz-show-1080p-120hz.html

You gotta wait for the BFGD monitors from Nvidia's partners to roll out later this year. It will have 4k at 120hz and will be able to dial down to 1080p 120hz. 

It would come down to whether you prefer more frames or more pixels.

Personally I'm looking at getting a 1440p g sync 144Hz in a couple years when I upgrade my current rig.

The other thing to take into account is when you'll next upgrade. If you're planning on keeping it as is for a few years the frames for GPU can push will decrease meaning you will be getting closer to 60fps at 4k and lower detail level for 1440p 120+Hz.

I also agree that now isn't the best time to get a new monitor as some very nice ones are coming out soon. It will also make the current ones cheaper.

There's probably even a 4k 144Hz g sync one coming.

2 hours ago, Capnspace said:

Hi all,

I need some advice. I just built a pretty powerful gaming rig (delidded i7-7700k 1080 ti). With this I play titles such as pubg, assetto corsa, csgo, fortnite, etc.. I just bought an AOC Ag271ug (60hz/4k/IPS/Gsync). With such a powerful rig most of my games have stable FPS in the 100's at 4k. I was told that my monitor wont show more than 60 fps though. Am I wasting the power of this GPU with this monitor. 

Should I trade a 4k 60hz gsync for a 1440p >120hz non gsync monitor? 

Lastly, if I do decide to keep the 60hz aoc should i be leaving gsync on if my fps is constantly pushing 100+ fps on most of the games i play?

Also, if I were to lower the resolution to 1080p on my games will I be able to see more fps (For example some monitors are 60hz at 4k but 144 hz at 1080p)? There really isnt any screen tearing or anything. It just seems like there is some lag in first person shooters when trying to shoot a gun accurately but really I dont have anything to compare to, which is why I am asking.

I just dont understand how my 60hz monitor is displaying 100+ fps on my in game overlays. Am I really seeing 100+ fps or is my monitor cutting it off at 60fps and I am not getting the most out of my gpu? 

Sorry for the long explanation but it is really hard to explain the concerns I have for my current setup. 

I attached pictures of my rig and the monitor for some eye candy, as linus was really my main inspiration for building an ultimate gaming rig.

I would 100% look into purchasing a monitor with a higher refresh rate. I've tried the 4k 60hz train a few times, and even though i had 60 FPS, and the clarity, gaming just wasn't as enjoyable. The way i look at it is i'm playing on a moving picture, and there's more to the display than the static image (4k). If the motion isn't clear then i don't see why it'd matter if the static image is clear. I have a Dell S2417DG, and i have yet to find a monitor better than it. It can easily be found for $400 dollars now-a-days, and i don't think it will get much cheaper. Really $200 of that $400 price tag is going to NVidia for the G-Sync module, so that leaves $200 for the panel and other costs. There isn't really a lot of flex there. Some other things might get cheaper such as the 27" IPS 1440P 144Hz monitors as those won't be top of the line anymore, but i don't see those going below $500 again due to G-Sync eating roughly $200 of the MSRP. 

Trying to figure out where you may reside so that i can advise you on where to browse, i noticed your power plug is for the US. I would advise going to your largest Best Buy locally. (We have about 6 in Pittsburgh, but only 1 has a bunch of Dell/Gaming Displays.) You can even look for product availability online to see which one may have a display. I would look for the S2417DG availability at every Best Buy locally from their webpage. Then i'd go there just to look at their displays. This will give you the ability to make your own informed decision on if 144Hz+ is worth it over 4K. (I think 1440P 144Hz is the sweetspot. It has clarity in static images over 1080P, and maintains a resolution that is still easy enough to drive at 144Hz)

2 hours ago, r4tch3t said:

It would come down to whether you prefer more frames or more pixels.

Personally I'm looking at getting a 1440p g sync 144Hz in a couple years when I upgrade my current rig.

The other thing to take into account is when you'll next upgrade. If you're planning on keeping it as is for a few years the frames for GPU can push will decrease meaning you will be getting closer to 60fps at 4k and lower detail level for 1440p 120+Hz.

I also agree that now isn't the best time to get a new monitor as some very nice ones are coming out soon. It will also make the current ones cheaper.

There's probably even a 4k 144Hz g sync one coming.

As alluded to earlier prices won't change much due to G-Sync. At the end of the day those modules cost about $200 ea because they have to buy them from Nvidia. So really those $400 dollar G-Sync monitors are actually $200 dollar monitors with a $200 dollar G-Sync module. Not a whole lot of wiggle room to still include a premium panel that most of them have.

Main PC: i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i V2 |  ASUS Prime Z370-A  | Corsair Carbide 540 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 16GB G.Skill Flare X @ 3200Mhz | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W | Dell S2417DG

36 minutes ago, Shiftstealth said:

As alluded to earlier prices won't change much due to G-Sync. At the end of the day those modules cost about $200 ea because they have to buy them from Nvidia. So really those $400 dollar G-Sync monitors are actually $200 dollar monitors with a $200 dollar G-Sync module. Not a whole lot of wiggle room to still include a premium panel that most of them have.

I was more meaning when the shops discount older models. So you could get a 1440p 144 g sync monitor that was 1000 for like 700 when the shiny new stuff comes out

Thank you all for all of the tips. I went ahead and returned the 60hz/ips/4k/gsync monitor for a 120hz/ips/widescreen/1440p. Picture attached. Went with the Acer Predator x24P, the one that is overclockable to 120. My thought process was that it is the best of all worlds. I save money because rather than buying 3 high end monitors for sim racing, I now have an ultrawide. 

15237580637456691414154825204142.jpg