Need Help, I want a new router, but can't because of the way it comes into my home?

Hey guys,

I need some help with my network setup.

I recently got an internet upgrade from my provider, they came out and replaced the cables to fiber ones and they installed a new router too.

The router that they installed is quite bad, lan is okay little bit unstable but it's usually fine(900mbit/s) on the other hand the wifi is really bad, usually it's 30mbit/s and sometimes 50mbit/s but never more.

It's a free router from them, didn't expect better performance so i should just upgrade it to a good one right?

Here comes my problem the router they gave us has a fiber input and i only foudn routers with ethernet input, but i saw some converters which could work but there is another problem, my router has the phone output too and with those converters and an ethernet router i couldn't use the the phone.

So i need help what stuff i should buy to be able to plug in any decent router with ethernet input and still be able to use my phone and TV.

Sooo the current setup:

FTTH receiver:

-SC APC input

-SC APC output

-TV cable output(coaxial cable f type from what i can tell but it has no labeling)

Router:

-SC APC input

-4 ethernet output

-phone output(RJ11 i think)

and of course the router is connected to the ftth receiver with a sc apc cable

Thanks for the help in advance.

PS.: sorry for my english i'm not a native speaker

Ask them if they have a list of compatible ONTs that handle TV and Phone but leave the internet functions to a seperate unit. That’s how most FTTH (like FIOS) is installed.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

are you using a 2.4ghz wifi signal or a 5ghz?  What are you walls made of, what is distance from device to modem/router and what channel are you on?

Similar situation. Cable modem from ISP for DOCSIS connection is rubbish. Only use it as a modem and forward all traffic to my router. Recently upgraded my router to a Netgear X8500 and I am loving it.

Regarding WIFI, many different aspects could come into play. 

Does it provide 802.11 g? n? a? ac? 2.4ghz? 5ghz? 

And what capabilities do the receiving devices have? If your router is providing good quality 5ghz 802.11ac, but your device only supports 2.4ghz 802.11g, it will run crap regardless of your modem/router.

Then you have all the fun of walls and electrical appliances in the way. As well as interference from your neighbors WIFI. 

Lots of different aspects come into play. Best to do some research. 

3 hours ago, Tellos said:

are you using a 2.4ghz wifi signal or a 5ghz?  What are you walls made of, what is distance from device to modem/router and what channel are you on?

Im pretty sure it's 2.4ghz but the even on the admin site it doesn't specifies it, nor on the official website, my laptop and phone is 1m away from the router with nothing being between them. Channel is automatic and i checked the channels from my phone is looks to be okay, no seriuos interference. Maybe it's 5ghz because channel width is in auto 20/40mhz so it might be, but the admin site is really bad and i can barely change anything on it. Huawei HG8121H.

1 hour ago, DogKnight said:

Similar situation. Cable modem from ISP for DOCSIS connection is rubbish. Only use it as a modem and forward all traffic to my router. Recently upgraded my router to a Netgear X8500 and I am loving it.

Regarding WIFI, many different aspects could come into play. 

Does it provide 802.11 g? n? a? ac? 2.4ghz? 5ghz? 

And what capabilities do the receiving devices have? If your router is providing good quality 5ghz 802.11ac, but your device only supports 2.4ghz 802.11g, it will run crap regardless of your modem/router.

Then you have all the fun of walls and electrical appliances in the way. As well as interference from your neighbors WIFI. 

Lots of different aspects come into play. Best to do some research. 

Wifi is 802.11b/g/n, can't find it if it's 2.4ghz or 5ghz. Receiving devices are a galaxy s8+ and a lenovo y520 laptop, im pretty sure those 2 should handle more than 30mbit/s from 1m without anything between them and the router. The router is a Huawei HG8121H, i barely found anything on it.

But im quite intrested in your solution, so i can plug in a decent router with an ethernet cable from the current ones output and it will work just fine? Is there a way to set my router so it doesn't interfere with the data just forwards it like a switch would?

FTTH is actually Ethernet. You can ask your ISP to install a rj-45 right to your house and ditch everything else. (if they will)

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

you with dont have 5ghz then if you do nto have an 802.11 AC router.

On 4/12/2018 at 11:45 PM, ChernobilChuck said:

But im quite intrested in your solution, so i can plug in a decent router with an ethernet cable from the current ones output and it will work just fine? Is there a way to set my router so it doesn't interfere with the data just forwards it like a switch would?

There are some settings you'll need to change on the modem.

- Disable DHCP

- Disable NAT

You will only want your new router providing DHCP and NAT. If you double up, you'll have network conflicts. 

Most modem/router combinations have the ability to turn on a bridge mode which usually turns off the above two by default. So worth checking out. 

Essentially, you have two devices in one. A modem, and a router. You want to turn off the router functionality as above and leave it as just a modem. This is quite a common approach given the shit quality of units most ISPs provide. 

12 hours ago, DogKnight said:

There are some settings you'll need to change on the modem.

- Disable DHCP

- Disable NAT

You will only want your new router providing DHCP and NAT. If you double up, you'll have network conflicts. 

Most modem/router combinations have the ability to turn on a bridge mode which usually turns off the above two by default. So worth checking out. 

Essentially, you have two devices in one. A modem, and a router. You want to turn off the router functionality as above and leave it as just a modem. This is quite a common approach given the shit quality of units most ISPs provide. 

Sounds cool, i think i will try it with my old router which is 300mbit/s on wifi(still a lot more than this 30mbit/s) and if it works fine i will probably buy a decent router.

Thanks a lot for the help.

• 1 month later...

Did this work out for you ? I am in a similar situation and I want Wifi AC, so that wireless speeds with my NAS increases.

If your satisfied with the wired speeds and only wifi is the problem... Just disable the wifi and buy an wireless access point.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

You could also ask your ISP if they have a bridged option for the ONT. This would essentially switch the Optical to Electrical ethernet. We offer both in our network. All in one for the lay user and a bridged option for those with more advanced needs.