Debating if I should hop to iPhones (GS9 or iPhone?)

So long story short, I decided to hop on the Mac hype. I plan on getting a used Macbook pro and the iMac if they come out with the 8th gen intel refresh. But now I'm conflicted on if I should just might as well get an iPhone since I'm swapping completely to MacOS. 

I currently use an S7 Edge. While I am a devoted Samsung customer who has stuck with their product lineups since the original Galaxy, I'm tempted to just completely switch over due to how well the iPhone works with Macs. (Continuity, wireless music library syncing, etc) Although I use features like Samsung Knox or Samsung Health frequently, I don't see a major problem switching because Google apps are supported on both platforms regardless. (And I rely on them for school)

My concerns with switching ecosystem follows:

1. Lack of Customization
  2. Being restricted on how I use MY device (repairs, can't install apps outside of the app store)
  3. Not being to able to use my Gear Fit 2 with Apple Health (I have to use the Samsung Health app seperately but I want it to sync to Apple's proprietary health app)
  4. Having to rebuy every single app
  5. No headphone jack...
  6. No expandable storage
  7. The fear of diving into something unknown

If I do get an iPhone, it is likely that I will  jailbreak it (that's a story for another time) to solve issues #1 and some of #2. Now it's not like Android is perfect either. My next phone is either the Galaxy S9 or the iPhone for me, and I'm just turned off by Samsung's update cycles, bloatware, and lag; not to mention that I'm on Verizion so don't get me started on Verizion's clusterfuck of useless apps. Despite so, I never found a need to root an Android so losing warranty support haven't been a problem. Meanwhile if I get an iPhone, that will likely change.

I'm just constantly asking myself the same question and struggling to find an answer. Can any of you guys share your personal experiences with both platforms to guide me towards my next phone purchase?

I produce music!

Well, here's what I can say.

From having a Galaxy S8+ (And the GS9/+ are nearly identical), its fantastic.

Admittedly, I have the Exynos version and have rooted/flashed a custom ROM, but its essentially stock, just debloated a bit (Renovate ICE Rom).

In my experience, although, yes, Google Apps are available on iOS for the most part, I've never had an entirely smooth experience using them. GApps on Android is Google's version of "it just works together".

(Also, if you've never tried it, Try S Pay. Allows you to use contactless payments even on terminals that don't support GPay)

Furthermore, if you're buying an iPhone from Apple/a Carrier, it likely won't come with a version of iOS 11 that's jailbreakable. I have a iPhone 5s running iOS 11.1.2 (I believe), which is the last jailbreakable version. Apple (just?) released iOS 11.3, which means you likely won't be able to jailbreak in the forseeable future, especially given that since iOS 9 it has become noticeably harder for people to find jailbreaks, and even then, a lot of people just disclose the vulnerabilities to Apple for money instead of building a jailbreak out of it.

Personally, if you like Android's customization but dislike Samsung's bloatware, and don't want to root/lose Knox, and ergo SPay/Secure Folder, get a Pixel 2 XL. If you don't mind losing those two, and want a S9+, get a S9+ and root it & install a custom ROM to debloat it.

I mean, in the end its your call. Those are just my two cents.

By the sounds of it you might as well switch. Maybe wait for the next iteration of the iPhone if you're still unsure, it's only 4 months away.

Might be quite an improvement, though from the rumors so far you'd have to have a love of the notch.

I believe there's a case you can buy that adds both a headphone jack and expandable storage. At least storage.

Honestly, if you get Apple Care, it's not even that much of an issue. Just get it repaired or replaced by Apple.

Customization, well, that's just something you'll have to live without. Only you can decide if that's worth it.

Personally, I wouldn't do it.

But I hate Apple.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

48 minutes ago, ElectronicWizard said:

-

I can live with not being able to jailbreak until they have a release fore ios 12 or 11.3, whatever. I also use S Pay, and yes it's god damn fantastic. Thank's for your input!

27 minutes ago, dizmo said:

-

Yeah. I guess I'll wait and see. Even if there are cases for expandable storage and such, I'm not willing to get a big case for that... I'll just get the 256GB version. And yes. I dislike Apple as well but I fell in love with Logic X so I ultimately decided to switch. I'm still #PCMasterRace. I'd definitely prefer to build my own pc, but with the GPU and DDR4 prices right now, the iMac purchase actually makes sense.

I produce music!

19 hours ago, Windows2000 said:

I currently use an S7 Edge.

1. Lack of Customization
  2. Being restricted on how I use MY device (repairs, can't install apps outside of the app store)
  3. Not being to able to use my Gear Fit 2 with Apple Health (I have to use the Samsung Health app seperately but I want it to sync to Apple's proprietary health app)
  5. No headphone jack...
  6. No expandable storage

S7 Edge here too. I was extremely happy with it, and i kinda still am. First Android phone (my first was motorola milestone 2010), that i didn't just kept more than 24 hours (mostly upgraded after 15-22 months), but also haven't rooted it even now, 25 Months in use.

However, it really has gotten slow... sometimes i wake it up, open whatsapp to reply, and it needs literaly 3-4 seconds to display the new messages, and to pop the keyboard.. Similar thing i noticed with most androids so far, getting a bit sluggish after a while. As soon oreo comes out, i will completely wipe it, and re-flash the original Oreo, and make everything fresh. Still planning to use it untill christmas or even for 1 more year, untill security patches stop. Maybe the next iPhone, or galaxy X, or whatever.. lets see what interesting comes out then.

1. always a big argument. But very few really utalize this "customization" possibilities. I wonder, if that would bother you, after you get used to iOS? This is the bigger question. maybe you get used to iOS, and won't bother about this anymore.

2. true.. just switched from Pixel C Tablet over to an iPad Pro 10.5. First huge disappointment: If you like to watch anime or read manga, iOS is not the OS for you. There is not 1 single App that i consider useable there. MangaRock for example would be great but.. due to licensing bullcrap most popular manga are deleted. On Android, you just download the definite version, and have it all, np. So yea, if you're an anime/Manga person, and have several apps for that, you will face a huge disappointment.

3. - (not using smartwatches so can't say anything for that)

4. true. Depending on which app it was, there might be free alternatives? iOS App quality is often better than Android app quality. Find out, if you really have to rebuy everyone of your bought apps. I too have several, i wouldn't use anymore. Like Nova Launcher or PowerAMP (launcher is useless on iOS, and powerAmp is useless, since i switched to spotify 1-2 years ago)

5. That really sucks (as an adiophile person, i really hate that). However, if your headphones aren't very audiophile, you won't hear much difference with an adapter (which isn't a simple adapter btw, it's a dedicated DAC / Amp). That unpleasant workaround might be not too bad, if other points are good.

6. Why is that a Problem? Buy a model with enough storage, simple as that.^^

If my Galaxy S7 Edge had 128gb instead of 32gb, i wouldn't use a micro SD card, despite having one with 64gb. The internal one is MUCH faster, and it's much easier to handle that. Some stuff can not be put into micro sd card, for example the whole Whatsapp folder. Or let me say, change the Whatsapp folder patch.

7 i know that. I just switched to ipad as my first ios device, and slowly getting warm with it. Might really switch over to an iphone after my S7 edge hits it's limit. But probably only, if i plan to use that device for at least 4 years straight. Which isnt really possible with Android, unless it's an overpriced Pixel.

On 4/11/2018 at 10:50 PM, Windows2000 said:

So long story short, I decided to hop on the Mac hype. I plan on getting a used Macbook pro and the iMac if they come out with the 8th gen intel refresh. But now I'm conflicted on if I should just might as well get an iPhone since I'm swapping completely to MacOS. 

I currently use an S7 Edge. While I am a devoted Samsung customer who has stuck with their product lineups since the original Galaxy, I'm tempted to just completely switch over due to how well the iPhone works with Macs. (Continuity, wireless music library syncing, etc) Although I use features like Samsung Knox or Samsung Health frequently, I don't see a major problem switching because Google apps are supported on both platforms regardless. (And I rely on them for school)

1. Lack of Customization
  5. No headphone jack...
  6. No expandable storage

If I do get an iPhone, it is likely that I will  jailbreak it (that's a story for another time) to solve issues #1 and some of #2. Now it's not like Android is perfect either. My next phone is either the Galaxy S9 or the iPhone for me, and I'm just turned off by Samsung's update cycles, bloatware, and lag; not to mention that I'm on Verizion so don't get me started on Verizion's clusterfuck of useless apps. Despite so, I never found a need to root an Android so losing warranty support haven't been a problem. Meanwhile if I get an iPhone, that will likely change.

I'm just constantly asking myself the same question and struggling to find an answer. Can any of you guys share your personal experiences with both platforms to guide me towards my next phone purchase?

You might as well switch to an iPhone since one of the biggest advantages of the Apple walled garden approach is that it enables a large and harmonious ecosystem designed to work perfectly across many different devices.  I'm personally a PC/Android guy, but if I ever decided to ditch Windows for MacOS I'd certainly take advantage of the compatibility between Macs and other Apple products as that is one of Apple's strongest selling points.  The only problem with this in my view is that once you are invested into such an ecosystem if becomes very difficult to get out of it again (which is why I stick to more open systems because they don't lock me into only one manufacturer's range of products).

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

17 hours ago, huilun02 said:

If you like being told what is good and how to use your device, Apple has it all sorted out.

You don't want a 3.5mm jack, expandable storage, or fingerprint because Apple has decided you don't need those options.

Your equipment and how you use them should reflect things unique about you just Apple.

Have a good day Tim Cook

Haha, well you're not wrong!  But let's also acknowledge that Apple does have some pretty great products and features (especially in terms of the ecosystem) that Android simply can't match.  I personally will stick with my beloved Samsung Galaxy's but I'm not an Apple hater either...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Or they don't need to personalize every menu tab to their likings, and just want to use the phone as it is (which is also possible on android of course, don't get me wrong), 

with long updates (because they don't buy a new flaggship every 1-2 years, but want to keep it for 3-5 years, or untill it breaks.. a friend of mine still has an iphone 5s with 16gb. Has some issues with charging, otherwise it works perfecly fine). Not possible with Android, as updates stop after 2-3 years max.

Or they want more consistent performance. Android does get slower over time. My S7 Edge needs sometimes 5+ seconds just to open the Keybaord in Whatsapp. While 2 years ago, no matter what i did, i couldn't get it down to it's knees. Updating 30 apps in background, swi tching between 3-4 apps at the same time over and over, and it jsut ran smoothly (except those android-typical micro stutters from time to time).

You HAVE to admit, that there are several points on iOS, that are simply better than on Android. it's not like one's better than the other. 2 different Systems for 2 different kind of preferences.

Yeah agreed.  Which one is "better" between Android and iOS really just comes down to personal preference which is why its always so idiotic to see flame wars between the two camps trying to prove one is so clearly superior to the other.  Android is superior to iOS for ME but that doesn't mean that I don't wish some of Apple's advantages were available on Android (especially like having a harmonious ecosystem of ancillary products that were all designed to work perfectly with each other).  It would be pretty sick to have a Mac, iPhone, iPad, Airbuds, Apple Watch, AppleTV, Macbook, and HomePod all perfectly synced up with each other.  Unfortunately I haven't won the lottery yet so...