Will an ebay scammer go this far to send the wrong GPU?

Adorable Cat

So I bought a used GTX650 1gb on ebay for 20 dollars, which seemed really low to me but I bought it anyways because hey, it's 20 dollars and if they send me some 10 year old GPU with a changed BIOS or whatever they do to make the system detect it as a different card, I can probably get a refund. It arrived yesterday and seemed to work perfectly, and when I removed the heatsink it had a GTX 650 chip in it. Could the person who sold it have changed the numbering on the chip itself so well it looks authentic, or did I actually get a GTX650 for 20 dollars?

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

It's possible you just got a good deal.  I'd run benchmarks and check GPUz to see if it's in line with what's expected for a GTX 650.  I've heard of people changing the lids on CPU's before but not changing the name on GPUs die.  

I'll take some pics when I get home later today, the die (the black thing at the center of the chip I think?) looked undamaged, so there's that. 

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

most likely you got a legit one. the amount of effort to go through laser etching is way more costly than 20$. if it is actually etched it is most likely legit.
definitely run some benchmarks. if it runs where it should then you are golden

main system build --> i7-7700K (at 5.0 ghz), MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard, corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz,  costume liquid cooling loop with 360 mm radiator on CPU, GTX 1080 gigabyte windforce OC, 1TB WD drive, 128 gb samsung nvme m.2, EVGA 850 watt semi modular power supply, CM storm stryker case (ya not ideal for costume loop), VIOTEK GN34C 34 inch curved monitor <----

Spoiler

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

Just now, showerhandle said:

most likely you got a legit one. the amount of effort to go through laser etching is way more costly than 20$. if it is actually etched it is most likely legit.
definitely run some benchmarks. if it runs where it should then you are golden

Yeah, unless it's a bootleg from back when the 650 may have been worth something.  But I agree it's probably legit.

29 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Open gpu z and compare things like shaders and core clock. No point trying to guess when you can easily know what you have.

Could be a slight chance of a bios reskin on another generation of card with approximate clock speeds.  But most of the time yeah, that would be enough to tell what you have.