Installing iOS 11 on an A7 device (iPad Air)

Appleboy45

I found out I know someone who still runs iOS 10.3 on their iPad Air (First generation). They asked me if they should upgrade to iOS 11. I told them I wanted to do some research before I recommend it. I might tell them yes anyway for the Spectre and Meltdown patches. My question is, how well does iOS 11 perform on your iPad Air (First generation), or maybe even iPhone 5s? This person only uses their iPad for music, Podcasts, Mail, and surfing the internet.

DONT

I have one on 9.3.3, and after updating it from 7.1.2 -> 8.3, it struggled in everything, even UI animations. I don't think going from 10.3.3 to 11 would do any help, other than fix security holes in iOS. 

I find it enraging for the UI to lag, or there to be any stutter or microstuttering, so iOS 9.3.3 on my air is already 'useless' to me. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

DONT

I have one on 9.3.3, and after updating it from 7.1.2 -> 8.3, it struggled in everything, even UI animations. I don't think going from 10.3.3 to 11 would do any help, other than fix security holes in iOS. 

I find it enraging for the UI to lag, or there to be any stutter or microstuttering, so iOS 9.3.3 on my air is already 'useless' to me. 

I have used this person’s iPad Air. It definitely is slower with the animations, though it is quite fast compared to the nightmare of iOS 9.3.5 on my iPad mini.

Just now, Appleboy45 said:

I have used this person’s iPad Air. It definitely is slower with the animations, though it is quite fast compared to the nightmare of iOS 9.3.5 on my iPad mini.

It will probably get slower, but I have not used iOS 11 other than on people in my class's iPhone 6 / 6+, and it is just god awful to me (swiping between pages lags a bit, control center is a 30fps mess all the time)

I don't like slow devices, and find it untoleratable, and so I would recommend you not to install as it will get .. slower, unless the person cares about fixing the security holes.. it only goes downhill usually for major iOS version updates (10.x -> 11.x, 9.x -> 10.x, etc)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.