Mistakes While Building A PC

cfclay21

Post your mistakes here! 

Mine is once i ripped out a pci socket because i forgot to undo the clip thing

CPU: 4770k @ stock                  RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB                    Cooling: Corsair H80i
       MOBO: Sabertooth Z87            SSD: 240GB Samsung 840 Pro                Case: NZXT Phantom 820

GPU: EVGA GTX 670                 HDD: 1TB WD Black                                 PSU: Corsair TX750M

mistake still yet to come as my pc is build by my brother 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Don't forget the I/O shield brothers...

You'll regret it later.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I think it'd be funny reading about other peoples mistakes when building their PC,and I could learn what not to do when building mine'

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

I didn't do any cable management... my rig's insides are a mess.

I'm too ashamed.... :mellow:

Everyone makes mistakes.  It'd be better to laugh about it and not do it again.

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

forgot to add the riser thingy under the mobo in to the case (i couldn't figure out how to).

it is still not there and my mobo is slightly bent because of it. Still works thos and has been working for 11 months now. 

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Dropped a screwdriver on a brand new graphics cards PCB while installing a new CPU cooler...

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

Surprisingly, I put my first built together correctly the first attempt.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Forgetting to mount the rad for the H100i and screwing in the fans... Sigh, I had to take out the whole motherboard...

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

My case has a removable roof,i removed it to install fans inside and put it on a chair,and accidentally sat on it and broke most of the pins of it,but it stills works fine.

+I sat on the back side panel and it is bent now,super hard to close it,so i hate having to open the back side....

With my first build, I forgot to plug in the 8-pin and I called the support line. 4 hours of my life wasted.

System: CPU: 4670k | Mobo: Gigabyte Z87MX D3H | RAM: 8gb 1600Mhz | Case:Corsair 350D | PSU: Corsair CX430, to be upgraded soon | GPU: HD4600, to be upgraded soon

Dogecoin: D787N1VP3JaK3wmKehWhqGXBvspZpQ4YFV

I once almost commented on a thread that already existed, :huh:

Psst. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/90207-whats-your-personal-tech-fails/

Different title same thread, then there was one from before as well so its a double.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Everyone makes mistakes.  It'd be better to laugh about it and not do it again.

Mine wasn't to bad it was just embarrassing.

After finishing my first build I pressed the power button on my case and my PC didn't turn on. I checked that the power cord was connected and my PSU was on and everything looked fine but it didn't turn on.

That is when I started to get mad and I started to undo my cables on the back and take off my GPU's and sound cards to see what the problem was. After about 30 minutes of searching and getting frustrated it turned out I forgot to plug in the power LED cables to the motherboard....

I felt stupid and ashamed but the good thing was I was the only one in the room so nobody saw me. B)  And till this day nobody will ever know...(Even though I just posted this on the internet and now the whole world will know)

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

i did not understand why my PSU dont start my PC. So i touched inside the PSU something which seemed to eb wrong and i get 560 watts of power in 2 secs inside my body untill i could drop the PSU, Damn that feeling that my heart almost blowed up. it felt like if i where doing a failed OC on my heart, it started to hit faster and faster, But i survived but i could die,

HA POWER CANT KILL ME ONLY OC ME!.

i also once started a computer without connecting the power from the PSU to the GPU.

and once when i wanted to take out a GPU i pressed my finger to the button to take lose the GPU but instead i pressed hard on some pointy stuff and i started to bleed.

Oh, and once i dropped a PC and it never started again( mom got pissed of)

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

i did not understand why my PSU dont start my PC. So i touched inside the PSU something which seemed to eb wrong and i get 560 watts of power in 2 secs inside my body untill i could drop the PSU, Damn that feeling that my heart almost blowed up. it felt like if i where doing a failed OC on my heart, it started to hit faster and faster, But i survived but i could die,

HA POWER CANT KILL ME ONLY OC ME!.

i also once started a computer without connecting the power from the PSU to the GPU.

and once when i wanted to take out a GPU i pressed my finger to the button to take lose the GPU but instead i pressed hard on some pointy stuff and i started to bleed.

Oh, and once i dropped a PC and it never started again( mom got pissed of)

Were you able to move faster and lift more weight after you OC yourself?

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Were you able to move faster and lift more weight after you OC yourself?

I got better condition so yes, i may do it when i get new PC and turn 1000 watt or more inside myself!! MUAHAHAHHA

(dont think i will survive that)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

(dont think i will survive that)

I guess I shouldn't be looking forward to any benchmarks then. ;)

Spoiler

-

Put in the wrong motherboard standoffs.. had to take it out and do it again

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

I guess I shouldn't be looking forward to any benchmarks then. ;)

well benchmarks:

Heart: 80 Burned out, the body heatsink needs to be changed

Blood: 3 liters of blood got burned

Speed: Heart is still working but runs on 210 celcius but is OC'ed to 32 Hherts(hearthers) instead of 10 Hherts.

Condition: Body running up to 230 KM/ hour

Lungs1: breath 80% faster

Lungs2: got killed during the OCing

heatsink: melted

bones: 20% melted

well benchmarks:

Heart: 80 Burned out, the body heatsink needs to be changed

Blood: 3 liters of blood got burned

Speed: Heart is still working but runs on 210 celcius but is OC'ed to 32 Hherts(hearthers) instead of 10 Hherts.

Condition: Body running up to 230 KM/ hour

Lungs1: breath 80% faster

Lungs2: got killed during the OCing

heatsink: melted

bones: 20% melted

You might have gotten a bad chip I guess you will have to RMA it.

Spoiler

-