Ryzen 7 1800X CPU Cooler (Quiet)

Aerdian
10 minutes ago, Aerdian said:

Thanks! Based on what @knightslugger said, it seems that the DRP3 might be my best bet, even if it is a bit more than I planned to spend. I'll definitely keep a good look on the Mugen as well, though :) 

If you're not oc'ing, the DR3 should be plenty of cooling already. That being said, there isn't as much clearance for ram as the Scythe coolers with only ~40mm for height. Vengeance LPX is fine but Ripjaws V or TridentZ would be too tall. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

13 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you're not oc'ing, the DR3 should be plenty of cooling already. That being said, there isn't as much clearance for ram as the Scythe coolers with only ~40mm for height. Vengeance LPX is fine but Ripjaws V or TridentZ would be too tall. 

what was the name of the BQ! behemoth they recently announced? that had tall ram cutouts...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

45 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

what was the name of the BQ! behemoth they recently announced? that had tall ram cutouts...

I think you're referring to the DR4 and DRP4. There's no confirmation on ram clearance yet.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Okay. I was a bit worried about clearance. So, I'll definitely go with a shorter RAM height. Thanks :) 

Hello! It's me just passing through :) 

1 hour ago, knightslugger said:

Also as a reply to @WoodenMarker, larger RAM cutouts would be awesome. Almost everything I see about the DRP3 and DR3's complain that they are a very tight fit. Then, customers wouldn't have to plan their RAM according to their cooler :) 

I found a dark rock pro 3 for 50bucks on ebay. But right now, maybe going with a Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev.  will be enough. 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

10 minutes ago, IAnthonyFX said:

I found a dark rock pro 3 for 50bucks on ebay. But right now, maybe going with a Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev.  will be enough. 

Depends on what you mean by enough. The DRP3 and Mugen 5 Rev. B trades blows when it comes to performance but the DRP3 is a bit quieter at idle / low loads. 

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Depends on what you mean by enough. The DRP3 and Mugen 5 Rev. B trades blows when it comes to performance but the DRP3 is a bit quieter. 

I mean to keep it cool, and I do not see any better option for less than 50 bucks. Plus he only wants stock settings. 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Depends on what you mean by enough. The DRP3 and Mugen 5 Rev. B trades blows when it comes to performance but the DRP3 is a bit quieter at idle / low loads. 

Replying to both @WoodenMarker and @IAnthonyFX, that is definitely a very good price. Thanks for letting me know that :) If that eBay listing looks good, I might go with that.

14 hours ago, MellowCream said:

Why has no one recommended a Noctua cooler yet? They're some of the best for silence and performance.

The NH-U12S is perfect for your setup, and if you decide to OC you'll have some definite headroom.

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-U12S-SE-AM4-premium-grade-cooler/dp/B01N9X2YYN

Sorry for not seeing your post! That does look like a very good option. I have seen a lot of Noctua coolers that looked like good options, but never wanted to go with one because of their design. Personally, I think Noctua coolers are quite ugly xD I might go with that. 

As a question to all, if I go with this Noctua cooler or the Scythe Mugen 5 cooler, would I have room for GSkill Ripjaws V RAM?  

43 minutes ago, Aerdian said:

Sorry for not seeing your post! That does look like a very good option. I have seen a lot of Noctua coolers that looked like good options, but never wanted to go with one because of their design. Personally, I think Noctua coolers are quite ugly xD I might go with that. 

As a question to all, if I go with this Noctua cooler or the Scythe Mugen 5 cooler, would I have room for GSkill Ripjaws V RAM?  

The NH-u12S will not overhang the RAM slots, so there won't be an issue with ram height compatibility.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

A Gammaxx 400 would be fine for cooling, especially if you're not going to overclock much. They perform better than the Hyper 212 Evos, are cheaper and look better. You can pick one up for about $20.

5 hours ago, Aerdian said:

Both coolers completely clear the dimm slots so you can use ram as tall as you'd like. 

On 4/10/2018 at 4:02 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Both coolers completely clear the dimm slots so you can use ram as tall as you'd like. 

Thanks :) I was just making sure. I didn't want to buy tall RAM, find out it doesn't fit, then have to return it and order a different kind.

On 4/10/2018 at 11:10 AM, johnukguy said:

A Gammaxx 400 would be fine for cooling, especially if you're not going to overclock much. They perform better than the Hyper 212 Evos, are cheaper and look better. You can pick one up for about $20.

Thanks! If it does well at cooling and stays quiet, I would be very much interested :) 

2 hours ago, Aerdian said:

Thanks! If it does well at cooling and stays quiet, I would be very much interested :) 

The Gammaxx 400 and 212 Evo have decent performance but they're not very quiet.

On 4/13/2018 at 2:43 PM, WoodenMarker said:

The Gammaxx 400 and 212 Evo have decent performance but they're not very quiet.

Thanks :) I never thought those were built to be quiet, but I can always be surprised.

3 hours ago, Aerdian said:

Thanks :) I never thought those were built to be quiet, but I can always be surprised.

The 212 EVO is not quiet under load. The Gammaxx 400 however is in most usage scenarios. At full tilt though, yes it isn't the quietest but nobody should be running their CPU fan at 100% constantly anyway. The Gammaxx 400 is quiet for normal usage, including gaming, and for around $20 it's a good option and certainly better than the 212 EVO.

On 4/14/2018 at 10:19 PM, johnukguy said:

The 212 EVO is not quiet under load. The Gammaxx 400 however is in most usage scenarios. At full tilt though, yes it isn't the quietest but nobody should be running their CPU fan at 100% constantly anyway. The Gammaxx 400 is quiet for normal usage, including gaming, and for around $20 it's a good option and certainly better than the 212 EVO.

Thanks! While I haven't preordered yet, I'm thinking about preordering the new 2700X with a Gigabyte X470 Motherboard. Since it includes a stock cooler and people seem to really like the Ryzen stock coolers, I am planning on just using it, since from what I've heard, it's a relatively quiet option.