What Audio Mixer Do I Need/Get?

LordPineapple

Hey Audio Wizards,

In another topic I asked what device I needed to put a few audio sources into one thing so that they all go into my headphones or speakers, They said I needed a Audio Mixer. But now I don't know if I need a stereo or a mono Audio Mixer, All I want to plug into it is my computer, one or two consoles and a turntable/record player with them all outputting to my headphones and/or speakers. So what type do I need/you guys recommend?

Which speakers are you using? 

Stereo is what you need really. I ask what speakers you are using because if they are powered, then a mixer is the cheapest way to get a "pre amplifier" - if they are passive, a regular stereo amplifier with different switchable inputs would do. Of course, if you do want to play all sources at the same time then you WILL need a mixer.

Something like this would do the job. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-802-Input-Bus-Mixer/dp/B000J5XS3C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522837906&sr=8-2&keywords=behringer+mixer This has 2 stereo inputs and 2 mono mic inputs. I'd decide which was the most important source(s) and use them on the stereo inputs, then use a lower gain level on the microphone inputs for the others.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-XENYX-1202FX-INPUT-MIXER/dp/B000J5Y214/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1522837906&sr=8-5&keywords=behringer+mixer this is a bit more expensive, but has 4 stereo inputs/4 mic inputs.

Make sure you adjust your budget accordingly for any cables and adapters you'll need.

11 hours ago, LordPineapple said:

Hey Audio Wizards,

In another topic I asked what device I needed to put a few audio sources into one thing so that they all go into my headphones or speakers, They said I needed a Audio Mixer. But now I don't know if I need a stereo or a mono Audio Mixer, All I want to plug into it is my computer, one or two consoles and a turntable/record player with them all outputting to my headphones and/or speakers. So what type do I need/you guys recommend?

Probably going to have to get a few adapter cables most mixers wont have the inputs you need.

Also you're going to have to list the outputs of the devices, be able to presume most like jacks from a computer but I think a lot of consoles these days have optical out which is annoying.

Also what inputs do you need? So what inputs do the speakers have?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2018 at 3:28 AM, Ahoy Hoy said:

Probably going to have to get a few adapter cables most mixers wont have the inputs you need.

Also you're going to have to list the outputs of the devices, be able to presume most like jacks from a computer but I think a lot of consoles these days have optical out which is annoying.

Also what inputs do you need? So what inputs do the speakers have?

For outputs for devices, my computer will have (haven't bought it yet) a sound card (Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, a mixture of RCA, 3.5mm and optical) so whatever ports that has and for the console/s have the usual HDMI and Optical ports. I'm not too concerned about the console/s audio quality because they aren't going to be playing music or anything, as for the turntable I haven't bought it yet either so I have no idea what it outputs. For speakers they have the normal 3.5mm and optical port my headphones use 3.5mm as well. Sorry for the late reply.