how to access multiple servers on your network from internet

comet424

hi its been years since i worked with DNS and reverse dns etc

but i stuck  i been doing for years now port forwarding  

i have like 4 servers at home and to acess each one from outside the network i change each Remote Desktop  port to different one.. well im sick and tired of that

i wanna do   server1.gords.mine.nu

server2....

server3... 

freenas....

so my home location is gords.mine.nu  and i wanna access each server  FTP be 21  for each one  RDP  for the 3  so i can access them  same port 3389...    port 80 work for all

im looking at doing PFsense  or DDWRT my old router.. but my one router  is kinda bricked it cant update to ints own newest firmware and it cant upgrade DDWRT

but can i do name forwarding  or reverse DNS  so  if i at a friends house i can say RDP  server3  and it will go to it..   

i read about HaProxy and Reverse Proxy etc.. but id like to be able to access my servers from home without anymore having to change ports and do port forwarding  

and would i need to set each server as a Domain  or can i keep it as a work group?

it be good if Linus had a youtube video of doing this..  

My experience with exactly how DNS servers work is less than complete but I wonder if you set up a DNS server inside the house and port forwarded a port to it's IP. Theoretically when you send a request on the one port to the DNS server via the domain it would figure out which server you want to connect to without you having to do it manually. However I think you would still be forced to specify port number otherwise it won't know what service you're asking for. 80, 8080, 443, 22, 21 you might be able to specify a default but if you have a single server running multiple processes using different ports you'll have to input that manually like a command argument otherwise it won't know what you're asking of it.

You want to change the default RDP port - the default one is one of the biggest ways hackers get into your systems.  Better yet, you could set up a VPN through your router/firewall.  That would give you a much more secure connection.  

13 minutes ago, Ringthane said:

You want to change the default RDP port - the default one is one of the biggest ways hackers get into your systems.  Better yet, you could set up a VPN through your router/firewall.  That would give you a much more secure connection.  

I agree, I think creating your own in house VPN server would be the best, simplest, most secure way. But I guess it depends on what your doing with the servers, and how secure they need to be.

Computers r fun

ah ok ya i cant remember how to do it.. i remember back in college i did Reverse DNS  but that was 20 yrs ago lol  frig

as for RDP  ya i know to change port but what i want is the 3 Windows Servers  to be the same port on each one.. so i dont need to do gords.mine.nu:3395  say  i wanna be able to do  RDP   server1.gords.mine.nu  or RDP  server2.gords.mine.nu   not  RDP  gords.mine.nu:3395 for Server1    RDP gords.mine.nu:3396  for Server2

or i want to do   FTP  server1.gords.mine.nu:21    FTP server2.gords.mine.nu:21    FTP server3.. Freenas.gords.mine.nu:21

and i thought of using DMZ  but router only allows 1 computer on the outside of the firewall.. reason i was thinking PFSense  

plus havent done a VPN in years  so i wouldnt know where to start on that.. as my Servers are for my NAS   and so is my FreeNas  and my downloading computer...    and when i wanna upload stuff to my servers to access later or to FTP to update my webpages  

3 minutes ago, comet424 said:

ah ok ya i cant remember how to do it.. i remember back in college i did Reverse DNS  but that was 20 yrs ago lol  frig

as for RDP  ya i know to change port but what i want is the 3 Windows Servers  to be the same port on each one.. so i dont need to do gords.mine.nu:3395  say  i wanna be able to do  RDP   server1.gords.mine.nu  or RDP  server2.gords.mine.nu   not  RDP  gords.mine.nu:3395 for Server1    RDP gords.mine.nu:3396  for Server2

or i want to do   FTP  server1.gords.mine.nu:21    FTP server2.gords.mine.nu:21    FTP server3.. Freenas.gords.mine.nu:21

and i thought of using DMZ  but router only allows 1 computer on the outside of the firewall.. reason i was thinking PFSense  

Ohhh, okay yes this is possible. It will require a custom DNS server. I actually just set something like this up for one of my websites. Research the SRV Record, it allows you to point a domain to an ip with port.

Computers r fun

and then  when i used to work with Windows NT 4 server ad then Windows 2000 Server  days  i remember doing domains and was thinking  do i need to make them all under a domain and then i could access them that way i cant remember been so damn long

1 minute ago, comet424 said:

and then  when i used to work with Windows NT 4 server ad then Windows 2000 Server  days  i remember doing domains and was thinking  do i need to make them all under a domain and then i could access them that way i cant remember been so damn long

You could probably just use the IP, but don't you already have a domain name like you said in the OP? Gords.mine.nu?

Computers r fun

6 minutes ago, comet424 said:

plus havent done a VPN in years  so i wouldnt know where to start on that.. as my Servers are for my NAS   and so is my FreeNas  and my downloading computer...    and when i wanna upload stuff to my servers to access later or to FTP to update my webpages  

Its ridiculously complicated. Not for the faint of heart, only if you have experience. At least that the case when doing it in Linux.

Computers r fun

ya i use dyndns.org to get my  mine.nu   my  location is the gords.. and everytime  my modem reboots get a new IP address so my asus router  or my one server has dyn client update that updates to dyndns  my IP address to gords.mine.nu  

so then in the end  i want  server1.gords.mine.nu  

i have dynamic ip  not a static ip

thats why i was going to use  PFSense  since lot of people use it  for there Router.. so i was going to go Modem ---> PFSense server(router)  ---------->  to my 4 servers and computers etc

but if i can do it with Windows Server ill do it that way  not PFsense... its because PFSense is free..

so i cant remember how do this setup  if ithats Reverse DNS in windows or what not  

but ya thats what i wanna do.. and VPN maybe too  i havent done that since 1998 lol