Windows 10 for "NAS"?

So, I have some spare hardware lying around, and was thinking of consolidating all my movies and tv series in a single unit, rather than the 5+ external hdd I have. I was thinking about buying an already ready NAS enclosure (synology or similar), but then I though about having a little more flexibility with a proper pc (like torrenting in the background).

So, my hardware is a 7400 + z270 mobo, 8gb ddr4, an old GT630 and 2x 4tb nas drives.

I read around about other OS/Filesystem, but:

- FreeNas seems a lot overcomplicated for just the benefit of the ZFS file system (I don't have mission critical data to save on this machine, just movies) - plus the ram requirements are a little too expensive given the current ram prices

- UnRaid is the other option I considered, but having to pay a license for just the advantage of the parity disk seems to much (if I can get my hand on another 4tb drive I could go for raid5 just to feel a little safer)

So basically my question is: If I just want to use this machine to store files, and play them over a home network (basically to other pcs), do I really need Plex and other stuff, or I can just use the basic windows folders sharing? Would I lose something in terms of performance (like long buffering for movies, etc)?

I'm a total noob on the subject, and I'd like to achieve the max result without overcomplicating/overspending - thanks.

4 minutes ago, DwayneElizondo said:

So, I have some spare hardware lying around, and was thinking of consolidating all my movies and tv series in a single unit, rather than the 5+ external hdd I have. I was thinking about buying an already ready NAS enclosure (synology or similar), but then I though about having a little more flexibility with a proper pc (like torrenting in the background).

So, my hardware is a 7400 + z270 mobo, 8gb ddr4, an old GT630 and 2x 4tb nas drives.

- FreeNas seems a lot overcomplicated for just the benefit of the ZFS file system (I don't have mission critical data to save on this machine, just movies) - plus the ram requirements are a little too expensive given the current ram prices

- UnRaid is the other option I considered, but having to pay a license for just the advantage of the parity disk seems to much (if I can get my hand on another 4tb drive I could go for raid5 just to feel a little safer)

So basically my question is: If I just want to use this machine to store files, and play them over a home network (basically to other pcs), do I really need Plex and other stuff, or I can just use the basic windows folders sharing? Would I lose something in terms of performance (like long buffering for movies, etc)?

I'm a total noob on the subject, and I'd like to achieve the max result without overcomplicating/overspending - thanks.

I'd say use Plex for the movies

6 minutes ago, DwayneElizondo said:

Even my old ReadyNAS RAID devices can do auto torrenting, using a full PC for a NAS is like using my 308GT4 for getting groceries. Yeah, I *can* do it, but it's total overkill.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Use openmediavault

It's waaay more simple than freenas. I built one I use for file sharing (duh) plex server, and tlrrenting. Just install transmission to it, and install a remote program on whatever device you have

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

5 hours ago, Ginger_ said:

Use openmediavault

It's waaay more simple than freenas. I built one I use for file sharing (duh) plex server, and tlrrenting. Just install transmission to it, and install a remote program on whatever device you have

I also use OMV. It's free, lightweight, easy to setup, doesn't need updates every week, etc.

I just set up my home server with Windows Server 2016 (thanks school licensing!) running Plex and a couple of other services that need to run 24/7 while I have my desktop turned off. I have a synology NAS that house my movies and I have a mapped drive in Windows that Plex reads off of. TV shows are stored on the server itself and this setup works perfect without issue. 

If you have a Windows 10 license and all of those spare parts, I would defo go down the route of a fully built PC.

If you look in my specs below, I built that machine mostly from old parts from work (including the license), and all I had to pay for was the HDDs. I just wanted new WD Red's because I have alot of family and friends that use my server as there main source for entertainment.

Plex is an absolute breeze to set up on Windows, super simple, also has apps available for Chromcast, iOS and Android so you can watch stuff outside of your home network when your travelling.

I am also using Sonarr and Radarr to automatically download movies and TV shows. Server downloads content and organizes it automatically, haven't touched it in weeks.

My Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 5600x  |  Corsair H100i GTX  |  ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming  |  32GB Samsung DDR4 3600MHz  |  ASUS RTX 3070 ROG Strix  |  WD Black 240GB NVMe  |  1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 2TB Samsung Enterprise SSD  |  WD Black 1.5TB   |  3x NZXT Aer RGB 140MM  |  Seasonic Focus 750w   |  NZXT H500 Elite   |  Windows 10 Pro

My Home Server: AMD Ryzen 1400x  |  Gigabyte Aurora B550 Elite  |  32Gb Samsung DDR3 3200Mhz  |  HP RTX 2060 6GB  |  1TB Samsung 850 Pro  |  2x Seagate IronWolf Pro 18TB | 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB |  2x WD Green 2TB  |  Corsair CX650m  | Bitfenix Shinobi | Windows Server 2022

7 hours ago, DwayneElizondo said:

FreeNas seems a lot overcomplicated for just the benefit of the ZFS file system (I don't have mission critical data to save on this machine, just movies) - plus the ram requirements are a little too expensive given the current ram prices

Freenas will be fine and really isn't ram hungry, it will run fine on 2gb of ram, the extra is used as a read cache, just like in windows.

Windwos 10 or linux will work fine here, use what your comforatable with.

Also id leave the 630 out, it won't help you here at all, and is actually slower than the igpu on the i5.

In windows you can use storage spaces so you can easily add a drive when you want to expand the storage.

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2018 at 12:47 PM, DwayneElizondo said:

I built my own NAS several years ago. Tried several NAS-software packages. Sticked to Ubuntu server for a while, but switched to Windows 10 Pro several months ago. A heaven to me.

Latest addition: I installed JRiver Media Center on my NAS and JRemote on my iPad. Connected my Sennheiser HD 650 via a FiiO Kunlun and a Camera Connection Kit to my iPad and am now enjoying my music library!

1 hour ago, REvandenBerg said:

I built my own NAS several years ago. Tried several NAS-software packages. Sticked to Ubuntu server for a while, but switched to Windows 10 Pro several months ago. A heaven to me.

Latest addition: I installed JRiver Media Center on my NAS and JRemote on my iPad. Connected my Sennheiser HD 650 via a FiiO Kunlun and a Camera Connection Kit to my iPad and am now enjoying my music library!

lol man this thread is a year old

i have been using kodi to stream movies/tv shows fore a wile now form my shared media drive, and it runs on practically everything from phones, raspberry pi, fire tv stick & original xbox(possibly outdated)

On 4/3/2018 at 6:47 AM, DwayneElizondo said:

do I really need Plex and other stuff

Id use Plex. Im not 100% what features are taken out in the free version, I just know you cant do live TV. I ended up paying for the life time sub to plex. Honestly its fucking awesome. The Plex client app runs on about any streaming device and you can run it in a web browser on your computer. While this might not sound cool to you, I can watch live TV on my PC without piracy. Plus the DVR functionality of Plex is great. Its easy to use and I know have become lazy on watching my shows. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.