GTX 780 ti Reference Edition won't work. Fan spins at 100% and no signal

Hi,

Well, hope I can find a solution for this, I just purchased a second hand GTX 780 ti Reference Edition (Was tested before the interchange). I've tried everything to resolve the issue I've been experiencing with the card (Title of the article) since the first day of purchase. Despite the fact that, I mounted it properly to the PCI ports (used the other one for troubleshooting purposes) and also properly connected it to the PSU (650 Watts BTW), is not working nor is being detected. From my end and as per other sources, I'm thinking that is not specifically the card that may have the issue, but my PSU. Why? Well, I've tried to turn my PC without even plug the PCI cables from PSU to the card and turned out that the card fan turned on at 100% (the sound is like a mini jet or something like that) with no signal at all. My PC just booted up like normally does, no error beeps, etc.

Involving all the troubleshooting steps from various articles, I've tried them all. Even, cleaning the card gold pins with Isopropyl Alcohol thoroughly and ended up with no luck as well.

The only "extreme" methods I haven't tried yet are: Use the card on other PSU/PC, clean the card from the inside, nor use the famous "oven method" (Saw it from Linus Tech), since I wanted to see some suggestions or thoughts you might have before proceeding to it.

Furthermore, sometimes the cards turns on, the fan spins normal, then turns off in 10 or 7 seconds leaving the card lights on.

Please, let me know if I was correct in regards to the PSU not sending the needed energy to the Card or any other opinion you want to provide.

All your help will be greatly appreciated. *Sorry for the wall of text btw, wanted to be as most specific as I could. xDD

Here I left you my rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/antonymatos/saved/bywjcf

probably dead

my dead gpus experience the same behavior 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Use the card in another PC, and use the power supply in another PC. Also, try different PCIe slots.

-Moved to Troubleshooting-

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Try a different PC?

Can you even get into the bios?

Maybe try one of the different display outputs?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Use the card in another PC, and use the power supply in another PC. Also, try different PCIe slots.

-Moved to Troubleshooting-

I'll try that eventually as my last chance, but thanks for replying. :$

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Try a different PC?

Can you even get into the bios?

Maybe try one of the different display outputs?

I tried tweaking around the BIOS (Is updated), but haven't found any setting like related to the PCI port (enable said port or prioritize it to be the default graphic source), but saw a couple of things related to mining that, by all means, are disabled. If you want, check up my mobo specifications (mentioned above). I'll take a photo of the settings that are closest to the PCI ports "configurations", so you can see it.

1 minute ago, TonyMatos said:

I tried tweaking around the BIOS (Is updated), but haven't found any setting like related to the PCI port (enable said port or prioritize it to be the default graphic source), but saw a couple of things related to mining that, by all means, are disabled. If you want, check up my mobo specifications (mentioned above). I'll take a photo of the settings that are closest to the PCI ports "configurations", so you can see it.

So how are you using your bios if the GPU doesn't work?

Are you using motherboard display outputs?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

So how are you using your bios if the GPU doesn't work?

Are you using motherboard display outputs?

Yes (Integrated Graphics), that's the only way I could access the BIOS and use the PC normally.

Buildzoid (usually reviews VRMs on motherboards and graphics cards, also appeared in Gamers Nexus' content at times), did post a video about reference design 780Ti and some other cards suffering from dead inductors on their memory power delivery.

If the methods above dont work, it's very likely for the same to happen to your card. Open it up and try look for the same damage as cards in the video shows. Buildzoid is also collecting further information on the issue, so probably send him a picture of your bare PCB through YT or FB as well. He might be able to give you ideas on how to repair it (since one guy did fix the card himself)

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

6 minutes ago, TonyMatos said:

Yes (Integrated Graphics), that's the only way I could access the BIOS and use the PC normally.

Ok are you sure you plugged in 8 pin PCIe and not 8 pin EPS into the GPU?

Have you tried other display outputs on the card and other monitor inputs?

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Buildzoid (usually reviews VRMs on motherboards and graphics cards, also appeared in Gamers Nexus' content at times), did post a video about reference design 780Ti and some other cards suffering from dead inductors on their memory power delivery.

If the methods above dont work, it's very likely for the same to happen to your card. Open it up and try look for the same damage as cards in the video shows. Buildzoid is also collecting further information on the issue, so probably send him a picture of your bare PCB through YT or FB as well. He might be able to give you ideas on how to repair it (since one guy did fix the card himself)

That just scared me xD. I'll try that, it could probably be my case (who knows). Thanks for the information.

30 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Ok are you sure you plugged in 8 pin PCIe and not 8 pin EPS into the GPU?

Have you tried other display outputs on the card and other monitor inputs?

Yes. Also, have used different connectors that provide my PSU (4 in total). I've plugged all the connectors accordingly between GPU and PSU, also by using different inputs (PCI/VGA) on PSU. None of that would work. Apparently, I'll be forced to look for another PC/PSU in order to test the card there and lastly do what Jurrunio suggested, per sources he provided. Thanks for the help as well. I've been getting a headache with this card, but I'll find a solution at all cost.